PDA

View Full Version : A little more Intrepid news (es bueno news)

ericantonio
23-Aug-2022, 07:16
So I get an email on my 6th or 7th week wait. And Intrepid says "good news everybody, you are getting the fancy new model!" (please add another 2-4 week wait

Here are the specs, not yet on the web

* Notches to zero the front standard
* A ruled guide for accurate front standard movements
* Reinforced front standard controls (a weak point of the previous
model)
* Stronger ground glass clips
* A much more refined base design
* A new stronger locking system to secure the rear standard

These are things I've seen Youtube Vids complain about so they are listening!

Lachlan 717
23-Aug-2022, 12:33
What format, please?

nitroplait
23-Aug-2022, 12:50
Hope some of the things can be retrofitted on older models.

ericantonio
23-Aug-2022, 14:32
What format, please?

Ah yes, forgot that detail
8x10

Lachlan 717
23-Aug-2022, 18:34
Ah yes, forgot that detail
8x10

Excellent! Just what I hoped you’d write.

Thanks.

Roger Cole
24-Aug-2022, 00:36
Glad to hear it! I've been eying one of these for a possible eventual adventure into 8x10. In 4x5 there are ample good quality used cameras I may go for (my elderly Tech III has been retired, tired of fooling with it) or even a new Chamonix is not THAT much, but new 8x10s other than the Intrepid - well, an Intrepid is do-able new. Anything else, not, and the used selections are older and generally more a lot more heavily used than I'd like, at least in the price range of the new Intrepid.

Tin Can
24-Aug-2022, 03:58
Agree

I just checked Intrepid website

Prices are still LOW

New Bellows on new camera is a bargain

Rick L
24-Aug-2022, 05:21
so far, it looks like the website still shows the mark II - hopefully they will update that soon, I'd like to see the changes - and will they offer a black or hardwood version of the new 8x10

Lachlan 717
6-Sep-2022, 14:23
So I get an email on my 6th or 7th week wait. And Intrepid says "good news everybody, you are getting the fancy new model!" (please add another 2-4 week wait

Any updates on this yet? Looking forward to seeing the new features. Thanks!

ericantonio
6-Sep-2022, 14:35
Any updates on this yet? Looking forward to seeing the new features. Thanks!

2 weeks ago I got the canned email that said I'm on the 6th week. This Friday will be the 8th week. Was expecting original to be this week or so? But when they upgraded me, they said "add to 2-4 more weeks ADDED to original timeline. So I'll update again at end of month. I expect I'll get the canned email this Friday for my 8th week. It's just a generic email, doesn't have lots of details or details about the new model.

Lachlan 717
6-Sep-2022, 15:07
Thanks. Their response times of late have t been good; however, I think some of their staff are on holiday at the moment.

unityofsaints
14-Sep-2022, 03:36
Surely this will make its way into all of the models? Good news in any case.

ericantonio
14-Sep-2022, 09:16
Yes, that's what they said, it's part of the new model. I didn't get an 8 week notice end of last week. Maybe cause of all the stuff going with with the Queen and all. I'm sure by end of September or begin of Oct it'll be here.

Maybe I'll make an unboxing video? I have no idea how to edit videos but I'll try.

unityofsaints
15-Sep-2022, 15:20
Announcement e-mail went out and video is up:

https://mailchi.mp/theintrepidcamera.co.uk/big-changes-coming-soon?e=8ee36cc8ef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QL58t2kfU

Most improvements announced look good but that magnetised front bellow connection makes me a bit nervous, wasn't that the reason everyone complained about light leaks on the Stenopeika?

munz6869
17-Sep-2022, 01:47
I've been thinking about replacing my 8x10" model I with a newer one - and the version 3 looks like it will go a long way towards addressing the wiggly annoying bits!

Marc!

Lachlan 717
17-Sep-2022, 04:50
I've been thinking about replacing my 8x10" model I with a newer one - and the version 3 looks like it will go a long way towards addressing the wiggly annoying bits!

Marc!

I’ll let you know when mine arrives and you can have a look if you’d like.

Alan9940
17-Sep-2022, 07:03

Marc!

Maybe now that they will have a more rigid 8x10 chassis, they'll develop the 8x10 enlarger piece I've heard rumored about for a while now?

nitroplait
17-Sep-2022, 08:36
Announcement e-mail went out and video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QL58t2kfU

Incremental improvements presented like a review by an inexperienced influencer as if it was a revolution - and I had to watch ads on top of that!?
17 minutes of my life wasted.

Alan9940
17-Sep-2022, 10:19
Incremental improvements presented like a review by an inexperienced influencer as if it was a revolution - and I had to watch ads on top of that!?

Yeah, that video didn't exactly convince me to trade-in my 8x10 Mark II.

unityofsaints
17-Sep-2022, 17:23

Could've just hit pause and done something else? I posted the text form as well if you prefer that.

nitroplait
18-Sep-2022, 03:14
Could've just hit pause and done something else? I posted the text form as well if you prefer that.

Not asking you to take responsibility for my choices. Just putting up a warning.

paulbarden
18-Sep-2022, 14:38
What has become obvious over the life of the Intrepid Camera Co. is that they continue - year after year - to over-promise and under-deliver. They quote delivery times for a purchase and from what I can tell (personal experience and what I've read on forums) they rarely - if ever - actually meet the stated delivery time. That's not a good way to do business. If you know you're not meeting your own stated product delivery times, then change the forecast to set realistic expectations for the customer.

Aside from that, I did purchase the 5x7 Intrepid 2 years ago, and its been a faithful, user-friendly tool and I have very few complaints about it. The primary issue I have with it is that I cannot mount it on my larger Manfrotto tripod because the mount screw is too long for the mounting plate, and interferes with the focus auger. This is an odd design flaw, IMO: seems it could have been easily remedied at the concept stage.

Fred L
18-Sep-2022, 15:02
Have the v1.0 8x10 camera and while I understand people are happy with constant upgrades, I'd be annoyed if a new one came out after I got mine. They shld just sit tight and see what other things can be improved upon, and then release a killer upgrade. I'd rather see this than incrementals.

I can think of other more important user friendly improvements they can add, but I'll let them figure that out haha

and it's a superficial nit, but damn I wish video guy would just call it MARK Five instead of saying 'EM KAY' lol

nitroplait
19-Sep-2022, 00:38
Just to balance things off here. They over delivered in my case, I had my camera in hand weeks before promised at order time.

The base tripod mount is often mentioned and is indeed a design flaw, but I have never owned a tripod (except for the table type) that didn't offer a counter screw, thus I would personally put it in the minor inconvenience category. I have a hexagon Manfrotto tripod plate permanently mounted on the camera and never have to think about it.

If they can maintain the low price, while doing small improvements, it is great for the LF community.

OllieG
22-Sep-2022, 19:44
Have the v1.0 8x10 camera and while I understand people are happy with constant upgrades, I'd be annoyed if a new one came out after I got mine. They shld just sit tight and see what other things can be improved upon, and then release a killer upgrade. I'd rather see this than incrementals.

I can think of other more important user friendly improvements they can add, but I'll let them figure that out haha

and it's a superficial nit, but damn I wish video guy would just call it MARK Five instead of saying 'EM KAY' lol

I didn't pickup on the 'EM KAY' Think I'll rewatch it now!

Lachlan 717
28-Sep-2022, 07:48
The updated specs and price have been added to their website.

Has written details, but average photos to compliment these words…

ericantonio
28-Sep-2022, 07:50
DHL say's its coming this Friday, 9/30. So hopefully I can get some pics to you guys by early next week.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

Ben Horne
28-Sep-2022, 15:33
DHL say's its coming this Friday, 9/30. So hopefully I can get some pics to you guys by early next week.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

If you're curious about the updates, I uploaded a first look Video on my channel last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr3b4cR3MfY

tykos
29-Sep-2022, 06:15
Aside from that, I did purchase the 5x7 Intrepid 2 years ago, and its been a faithful, user-friendly tool and I have very few complaints about it. The primary issue I have with it is that I cannot mount it on my larger Manfrotto tripod because the mount screw is too long for the mounting plate, and interferes with the focus auger. This is an odd design flaw, IMO: seems it could have been easily remedied at the concept stage.

in my 4x5 (metal bed) i just put a washer between the arca-swiss-compatible-plate and the camera, so that the screw does not interfere with the focus auger, that's a 5cents solution.
Could've they put the focus mechanism 2-3mm higher? yes. Is it a dealbreaker? i won't say that.

ericantonio
29-Sep-2022, 08:30
If you're curious about the updates, I uploaded a first look Video on my channel last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr3b4cR3MfY

HEY! You are that dude on Youtube!!!

Lachlan 717
30-Sep-2022, 01:20

Thanks for the review, Ben.

Can you please let me know whether the MkIII fits your Stone camera case?

Appreciate your input!

Tin Can
30-Sep-2022, 04:27
The rear focus knob is not actual rear focus

as it moves the front only

I have become fond of rear standard focus

as I shoot studio primarily

Field shooters, not always

as they seek

less weight

Ben Horne
30-Sep-2022, 09:22
Thanks for the review, Ben.

Can you please let me know whether the MkIII fits your Stone camera case?

Appreciate your input!

Yes! It is indeed a perfect fit for the mkIII.

tykos
4-Oct-2022, 08:17
just my intrepid experience: i bought a 4x5 mkIV used, it was a year old, mint conditions.
After 3-4 months, during which i shot maybe 20 sheets, i had a minor issue, they said to put some glue or send it back for replacement of that part for a small fee. I went the glue way. After another 6 months i sent it over, they said both that the camera worked fine and that was my fault if it was broken, asking for a smaller fee and no repair (because it's fine. But you broke it. Clear as day).

I really like my intrepid, it's small and light and i can bring it in a small backpack up in the mountains. I'd never shoot some of my favourite pictures with a monorail or a metal folder that is twice the weight.
And without those prices (and that used deal) i'd never have begun shooting large format.

After dealing with their customer support i'm both angry as hell and conscious that the camera is most likely what i need. That's an impressive result.

One just has to pray not having to deal with customer support and treat the knobs and moving parts like a mom treats her first born baby the very first time she touches him/her.

Alan9940
4-Oct-2022, 09:28
Well, for another take on Intrepid's customer service...

I had an issue using my dry plate holder in my 8x10 Mk II where the "clips" on the spring ends would pop off the back because they were too short for anything other than a normal film holder. I contacted them about this issue, and they told me that these springs had been redesigned with longer "clips" to avoid this popping off problem. They sent a new set right out. When I tried to install the new springs, I had some trouble with a few of the screws and notified Intrepid that I couldn't find suitable replacements either locally or online. They sent out a pack of screws. The story goes on from there, but I eventually wrote them about my concerns with installing the fresnel (bought from them.) Bottom line...they sent me a complete new back with fresnel installed! All I had to do was pop it on the camera. I couldn't have asked for more and, personally, consider this to be exemplary customer service!

Peter De Smidt
4-Oct-2022, 13:35
I'm sorry to hear about the customer service issue. In my case, they gave me very good service. I had an early MK2 8x10. It developed some problems. They replaced it for free, and it was their idea to do so.

Andrea Gazzoni
2-Nov-2022, 14:03
wondering what they will do with the reducing backs. checked for an 8x10 to 5x7, their website says "OUT OF STOCK DUE TO REDESIGN".
I understand the new version has a much different back from Mark I and II, different placement of magnets, different locking latches, etc... do they plan to keep building reducing backs for previous versions too? or are older versions left with less accessories choice?

Fred L
3-Nov-2022, 05:34
good question. Will my v1.0 8x10 be orphaned re: 5x7 back because it's way old ?

Alan9940
3-Nov-2022, 09:32
good question. Will my v1.0 8x10 be orphaned re: 5x7 back because it's way old ?

Since a question of reducing back availability for older 8x10 Intrepid cameras came up, I sent an email to Naomi asking about this. She said that they haven't produced reducing backs for the MK1 cameras for quite some time and that they would be producing these backs for the MKII cameras only until the end of this year. Then, they are switching production fully to the MK3 camera.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Andrea Gazzoni
3-Nov-2022, 10:21
sad news, thank you Alan

Fred L
5-Nov-2022, 15:10
bummer. great way to support early adopters of their cameras.... /s

Lachlan 717
5-Nov-2022, 20:14
bummer. great way to support early adopters of their cameras.... /s

Perhaps they thought, “If they haven’t purchased one by now, they’re probably not going to”? Seems a reasonable business plan to me. Manage for the rule, not the exception.

lassethomas
6-Nov-2022, 18:28
Perhaps they thought, “If they haven’t purchased one by now, they’re probably not going to”? Seems a reasonable business plan to me. Manage for the rule, not the exception.

I agree. Let's keep our expectations in line with what we know of Intrepid's mission, providing low cost large format cameras. Keeping parts and accessories for old models for an extended time has a cost. Probably prohibiting for the mission.
You pay for what you get, not only in build and quality but also in long term support and availability of older models. Not negatively reflecting on Intrepid in my view (and I own a 4x5 and is pleased with it).

munz6869
6-Nov-2022, 19:31

I agree. I own a version 1 (Kickstarter) 4x5" and its very crude compared to their latest version - I wouldn't expect them to carry upgrades to that with their business model, and when I'm brave enough I'll probably have a crack at modifying it myself. It's only plywood after all (and I have the Wista should it all end in tears)...

Marc!