PDA

View Full Version : What to do with LittleJohn

Cliff Kitchen
22-Aug-2022, 07:35
Hi all,

I've been storing this LittleJohn since we last used it at the turn of the century. I sadly now have to vacate my premise and have no room to keep it. I would like advice please on whether to clean it up/paint it (the rails and chassis) or leave it in current state and where would be the best place to advertise it?

Best
Ciff

Tin Can
22-Aug-2022, 08:38
Don't paint or 'restore'

as is

is best

Cliff Kitchen
23-Aug-2022, 04:42
Thank you Tin, I think you are right.
best
Cliff

ic-racer
23-Aug-2022, 12:25
It is a ULF enlarger, yes? If so, maybe put that in the thread title. Only reason I read the thread is I am currently eating a #5 Vito Little John sub from Jimmy Johns...I'm not kidding.

Duolab123
23-Aug-2022, 19:42
Is ts a converted process camera?

nitroplait
24-Aug-2022, 00:17
If that is Little John, then I really want to see Big John, or even just John.

Tin Can
24-Aug-2022, 03:49
Pretty sure it is a copy camera

If it was near me, I would buy it

I bought 8X10 Linhof studio cameras from France and England, shipping was high

Price was cheap

Cliff Kitchen
24-Aug-2022, 05:18
Originally it was used by a printed circuit company in Kingston upon Thames (South London, UK) to reduce hand drawn circuit boards down to size. Not sure if they used it for enlarging but it came with a cold cathode back which seems like an original attachment rather than a conversion. When they went out of business my father rescued it and put it to work. We used it for both copying large artwork and for producing 60 x 40 positives for screenprint.

Tin Can
24-Aug-2022, 05:53
Is that Metric or...

Just curious

Duolab123
24-Aug-2022, 21:55
Originally it was used by a printed circuit company in Kingston upon Thames (South London, UK) to reduce hand drawn circuit boards down to size. Not sure if they used it for enlarging but it came with a cold cathode back which seems like an original attachment rather than a conversion. When they went out of business my father rescued it and put it to work. We used it for both copying large artwork and for producing 60 x 40 positives for screenprint.

That's a great piece of history.

Duolab123
24-Aug-2022, 22:16
http://www.garyreggae.co.uk/wordpress/history/os-history/photographic/

Havoc
25-Aug-2022, 01:22
http://www.garyreggae.co.uk/wordpress/history/os-history/photographic/

Wow! Just great stuff. Largest "camera" I saw was such a thing for reducing integrated circuits masks in the old DDR.

Cliff Kitchen
25-Aug-2022, 03:20
Everything was imperial in those days

Tin Can
25-Aug-2022, 03:27
I bet my old employer still uses a 4X4 ft process camera.

They make automotive gaskets in 1 million sq ft, Skokie IL.

I got a tour decades ago, camera had a very heavy hinged vacuum back in the wet side room.

The lens and LONG bellows in another room, with adjustable boom lighting.

They silkscreen their boxes and many gaskets.

First make holes with repeating presses, then silk screen repeaters RTV around the holes

Millions for IC engines.

Electric cars are their biggest worry.

Fuck em

Cliff Kitchen
14-Sep-2022, 08:18
Any suggestions where the best place to advertise it please?

Tin Can
14-Sep-2022, 09:53
After 30 days of membership here, we are allowed to buy/sell/barter

No fees

Gary Beasley
14-Sep-2022, 20:04
The cold cathode back was probably for copying transparencies, though it would work in a limited fashion as an enlarger.