PDA

View Full Version : Lensnoard for Ilex #5, hole size?

Chris S
3-Apr-2006, 22:01
Hi guys, total 8x10 newbie question here, I'm still researching a lens to get for my C-1.I've run across several 14" Commercial Ektars in #5 Acme shutters.My camera came with an aluminum lensboard machined for a Copal #3.I'm assuming a #5 shutter would require machining the hole out larger than my #3 copal , is this correct?If so how much bigger?If I do go this route would SK Grimes be the folks to send the lens and board to , or is there a cheaper route.I'm not sure I want to take a keyhole bit and electric hand drill drill to it, and I don't have a spanner wrench.Thanks much!

Chris

John Kasaian
3-Apr-2006, 22:31
Chris:

I'd measure my own #5 for you but you'd probably get a more accurate dimension by checking out SK Grimes' website---theres a whole lot of info on Ilex shutters there including specs.

As for mounting, I feel aluminium lensboards are perhaps easier to booger up than wooden ones. How expensive is a lensboard for your camera already drilled for a #5? You can get an estimate from Grimes or any other good shop for mounting and check that against the price of a new(to you) lensboard with the proper hole and then go the most economical route.

The 14" Commercial Ektar is a great lens for 8x10---good choice! Its one of my all time favorites! Be aware that you'll probably need a cable release with a longer "throw" than usual since a #5 Universal is a 'double action' or press type that cocks and fire when you press the release rather than cocking the shutter manually then tripping the release. I've had the best results with Gepe cable releases on #5 shutters.

Ralph Barker
3-Apr-2006, 22:55
The Ilex #5 needs 85.47mm or 3.365"

see http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lensboard_hole_sizes.html

Brian_6363
3-Apr-2006, 23:20
Went to garage sale a while back that advertised darkroom equipment. Noticing some 4x5 film processing hangars,
I asked the gentleman if he had any view cameras for sale. He disappeared into the house and came back out with an Ansco 8x10
with a Kodak 14 in. Commercial Ektar serial #RI318.

Here I am thinking "score!"
He then proceeds to start removing the lens/lensboard, looses his grip
and drops the Ektar onto the concrete driveway. Oooops.

Well, it's a soft focus lens now.
I ended up buying both for $25.

Scott Davis
4-Apr-2006, 09:05
if you know someone who has a drill press, you can get it done for free... If you have one yourself, you can do it if you go to Sears and get a wheel cutter. The wheel cutter is about $25-30. Having drilled my own lensboards for the C-1 before, I would recommend that you either buy a BLANK undrilled lensboard and drill a proper hole to size, or find one already drilled to size. Don't try to drill out an already drilled lensboard, as they will slip while cutting. You need to drill it halfway through, then turn over and drill again from the other side, to get an even cut. Without a pilot hole the same size as your pilot bit, you'll have no way to accurately re-center the lensboard when you flip it. If you can't find an undrilled factory lensboard, (Calumet is out of stock of them, indefinitely it seems), get a nice sheet of 1/8" masonite or marine plywood. Calumet wants a small fortune for their factory lensboards because of the lip on the back of the lensboard.