PDA

View Full Version : 300 mm schneider enlarger lens

mehdi
3-Apr-2006, 10:29
My prints are flatter than they should be. I am using an Elmwood with a 250W bulb. It has a ground glass for diffuser before the negative carrier. Is it the uncoated lens that I am using or is it the enlarger set up?
Thanks
Mehdi

KenM
3-Apr-2006, 12:32
When you say flat, do you mean flat as in lacking contrast? If that's the case, the cause could be one of many things...underexposure (no contrast in the shadows), over exposure (no contrast in the highlights), under development (general lack of contrast), and so on.

Look at your negatives, and ensure that the shadows have good (intentional) detail, and the highlights aren't too dense. Adjust exposure and development so that when you print, you can get both good shadow contrast and highlight contrast. This is for a normal scene, btw...

Note that you cannot properly evaluate your negatives and prints without considering everything you do in *your* process. Look carefully at your prints, and work backwards from there.

mehdi
3-Apr-2006, 15:21
Ken it is not the negative. I am not new to this, just this enlarger. My negatives are from 617 linhof, hence new enlarger and lens. It has to do with the setup.
Thanks
Mehdi

John Kasaian
3-Apr-2006, 20:18
Are your prints in sharp focus from edge to edge? My Elwood has wood to wood bearing surfaces and they had worn down over the years, so I had to add oak "shoes" so I could get the negative stage square with the lensboard. That might be your problem too---it might be worth checking out.

CP Goerz
4-Apr-2006, 00:12
Have you masked off the light that is spilling around the negative? ie are you using the 5x7 neg carrier and leaving the rest of the carrier open? Perhaps the extra light flying around is fogging the paper up during the exposure so flag it with some black card of black paper tape. Maybe that'll help.

CP Goerz

mehdi
4-Apr-2006, 09:03
Thanks Folks. The light leak is minimal and is not an issue. I have tested that and also my safe light. As for the enlarger it is on a platform that I made and is projecting on the wall. After a conversation with Glen in Chicago, I cam to realize two things. One is that after close examination my lens is fogged/dirty inside, and the other is that Elmwood is the worst 8x10 enlarger built. I tried cleaning and polishing the lens last night, but realized the issue is between two glued lens that has started to separate. So the lens is DEAD. Also I will be looking for a Durst enlarger this week.
Mehdi

Chuck_1686
4-Apr-2006, 16:41
Well they say that the Elwood is a dominatrix without mercy. You can lessen the pain by going with an Aristo cold light to replace the old lamp setup. But if you can find, fit and afford the Durst it's probably is a better setup.

mehdi
4-Apr-2006, 21:56
Thanks Chuck. I picked up a Durst 5X7 138S today for $600. I should be back in operation by this weekend.
Mehdi