PDA

View Full Version : C-41 4x5 processing in Northeast?

brian steinberger
2-Apr-2006, 21:24
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a lab on the east coast, particluar near PA (Baltimore, DC, Pilly, NYC) that will do mail order 4x5 C-41 processing. Right now I'm using Calypso in California, and that's pretty far to ship film. Thanks

Ted Harris
2-Apr-2006, 21:33
Have you tried Chrome in Georgetown or Ansman on Capitol Hill?

brian steinberger
2-Apr-2006, 22:03
Ted,

I've heard bad things about Chrome, what's the deal with Capitol hill? Website or phone number?

Nathaniel Paust
2-Apr-2006, 22:21
I'm in NH and I'm mailing my film back to Ivey in Seattle. There just don't seem to be a lot of good labs out here, much less ones that do C-41 anymore.

tor kviljo
3-Apr-2006, 03:05
If you don't fint what you want in processing lab,s, home processing of C41 is the easiest things around, being in fact both faster & less operations than ordinary b & w developement... I use Nova 2-bath C41 developing kit, belive Tetenal sell the same stuff. Powder only. Only 2x3 minutes developer & bleach-fix - no washing between these two steps, only a few minutes wash after developement is finished. Only critical is first developer time. You will very quickly save enough money doing it yourself if you go this way. I use Jobo tanks & processors, but this C41 press kits were made for reporters on-the-run so they are optimised for using tank & hand-inversion only = use any 4"x5" tank you want as long as it suits inversion. I run it on the jobo with no hassle, though, but with a little shorter dev. times due to continuous agitation. Compared to E6, which is still pretty easy, the c41 thing is less than half the steps and 1/3 the time spent. Each (Nova) set is 2 x 1/2 litre kits. One litre does 12 x 135 films = 50 sheets 4"x5" before used up. Typical cost (using norwegian nova-kit prices as guide) about US $$ 0,30 or so a sheet..... Difficult to beat this one + the satisfaction of having complete control of the process in-house (assuming you have the scanner & printer to have control over the rest also: has never been easier to work with LF!) . Good luck

Jim Grimes
3-Apr-2006, 10:19
Taylor Photo on Princeton, NJ. They are on the web.

James

Ted Harris
3-Apr-2006, 10:43
Brian,

I have never heard anything bad about Chrome. My own experience with them was always excellent but it is ten years old. Asman has a good rep as well but I have never used them. There web site is http://www.asmanphoto.com.

Nathaniel,

You can get faster service from Premiere Photographic or Image 4 In Manchester. Both are excellent although Image 4 sometimes has trouble meetings its promised delivery times. Premiere never fails on 2-3 hour turnaround for E6. Neither process black and white.

You can get black and white processed at Concord Camera in Concord. Finally, AFAIK there is a good lab in the Upper Valley, in either Hanover or lebanonif memory serves but, since I process my own, the name escapes me.

Frank Petronio
3-Apr-2006, 21:01
Praus Productions (http://www.4photolab.com) in Rochester specializes in pro lab mail order. E6, C-41, B&W, fiber prints, Imacon, etc. Edgar and Mike do a great job.