PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar Lens History?

LFLarry
31-Jul-2022, 19:32
Hi, I have been seeing some Schneider Goerz Red Dot lenses for ultra large format (30 in, 35 in, and 47.5 in). I am not aware of how and why these lenses are Schneider? I seem to recall that Schneider may have purchased Goerz about 30 years ago or so, but I am not certain about that.

Does anyone know the history and back story on the Schneider Goerz Red Dot Artar lenses?

I have been digging around and have not found anything useful yet and I am hopeful someone here will know the story.

Thank you.

Mark Sampson
31-Jul-2022, 20:09
Here's how I understand it; Schneider purchased the Goerz name in the early 1970s. They kept the Artar lenses and discontinued their (very similar) Repro-Claron line. They also made various Dagors in the 1970s and 1980s, some actually manufactured by Kern in Switzerland. They were still advertising "Apo-Artar" lenses (no red dot) in glossy magazine ads during the early 1990s ("the best lens for photographing jewelry" as I recall). Which focal lengths were made, how many and for how long? I don't know. But there are certainly more knowledgable people than me on this forum... perhaps they'll share.

LFLarry
1-Aug-2022, 16:36
Thank you Mark. That definitely helps.

Maybe others with some additional insight will share.

Thank you!

Here's how I understand it; Schneider purchased the Goerz name in the early 1970s. They kept the Artar lenses and discontinued their (very similar) Repro-Claron line. They also made various Dagors in the 1970s and 1980s, some actually manufactured by Kern in Switzerland. They were still advertising "Apo-Artar" lenses (no red dot) in glossy magazine ads during the early 1990s ("the best lens for photographing jewelry" as I recall). Which focal lengths were made, how many and for how long? I don't know. But there are certainly more knowledgable people than me on this forum... perhaps they'll share.