PDA

View Full Version : Film scanner, buying refurbished?

Ig Nacio
27-Jul-2022, 12:07
Hi guys,

I hope you are all doing well : )!!!

I have had friends buying refurbished iPhones from Apple
with no issues after the purchase. I think they were also
allowed to get Apple Care, so it was very cool.

Some scanner brands may offer their scanners refurbished
through a dealer. One may buy extra insurance for the
scanner from the dealer for up to two, three, or four years,
if I'm not mistaken.

Is it ok to buy refurbished plus insurance, or one shouldn't
consider it?

Thank you, kind regards!

P.S. Adorama is one of these dealers selling the refurbished
plus their own insurance combo.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jul-2022, 13:35
Sure, as long as you buy from a repudiable place with a good return policy.

Edison
27-Jul-2022, 13:55
I've been using a refurb Epson V550 for several years and if it fails, I'm buying again. Yes it's 120 film max but I 3d printed a holder to scan 4x5 (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:152009).

j.e.simmons
27-Jul-2022, 14:09
I buy my refurbs directly from Epson. No problems.

Oren Grad
27-Jul-2022, 15:15
At least in the US, Epson includes a full 1-year warranty with refurbished scanners that it sells directly.

Whether to buy a service contract on any product, new or refurbished, is a separate question. The service contracts heavily promoted to consumers are often bad deals in actuarial terms.

Alan Klein
28-Jul-2022, 04:39
My credit card extends warranties one year. So a one-year manufacturer's warranty is effectively two years. It's part of their coverage when I use their card to purchase the equipment. Not every card provides this service. The way it works is when something breaks in the second year, you contact the card company. They will either pay for the repair or replace the equipment. Some cards also provide theft and breakage loss for a short period after purchase. Also, many of these cards provide travel insurance as well and give you a lot of points when you sign up which in effect pays back for the first years annual charge. It's cancelable for the second year if you don't want to continue it.

The free credit cards usually don't provide these services, The ones with an annual charge are the ones providing this service.

r.e.
28-Jul-2022, 06:21
I have had friends buying refurbished iPhones from Apple
with no issues after the purchase. I think they were also
allowed to get Apple Care, so it was very cool...

Adorama is one of these dealers selling the refurbished
plus their own insurance combo.

I would have no hesitation buying a refurbished Epson directly from Epson. People debate endlessly about whether retail insurance is good value. I buy Apple Care+, but have never purchased, and have no plans to purchase, the retail insurance that Amazon, Adorama, B&H, etc. sell. I think that Alan Klein makes a good point about credit card coverage.

Ig Nacio
31-Jul-2022, 10:57
Hi,

Thank you for your messages : )!!!

I'll check if my bank card offers any support of any kind in this regard.

Whether to buy a service contract on any product, new or refurbished, is a separate question. The service contracts heavily promoted to consumers are often bad deals in actuarial terms. Yes, I was looking at this company Extend.com and they have some yearly plans for photo equipment. I don't know if it may be worth it.

Thank you again, kind regards!