PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika — are Infinity Stops only for use with the Rangefinder?

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 10:40
The Super Technika V I recently acquired has 4 sets of infinity stops on the focus rail.

I'm not sure how to use / adjust them.

It also has distance scales for 3 focal lengths [How these work is also not obvious to me at this point.]

I plan on using this camera mainly with a 90 & 135mm lens — can I use the infinity stops without also using the rangefinder? [I'm thinking they would be useful in low light.]

If anyone could point me to documentation or a web page with information on setting up and using these features I'd be grateful.

Dugan
22-Jul-2022, 10:45
Infinity stops are useful for landscape/distance photos...they allow quicker setup.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 10:56
Infinity stops are useful for landscape/distance photos...they allow quicker setup.

Thanks. That's what I'd guessed. [Information on how to set up & use them sems to be thin on the ground for some reason.]

Dugan
22-Jul-2022, 11:28
I have no experience with Linhofs, but I have used the infinity stops on my Speed Graphics.
My methodology is:
Set up the camera with the lens.
Open aperture to maximum, shutter open on T.
Focus the camera, using the ground glass, on something Very Far Away.
Adjust infinity stops on the rail so that they touch the front standard, and tighten down gently.
Speed Graphics use pointed screws that leave divots in the yoke (rail), not sure if Linhofs do the same....
I then mark on the yoke with fine tip Sharpie what lens that pair of infinity stops is for.
Hope this helps.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 11:39
I have no experience with Linhofs, but I have used the infinity stops on my Speed Graphics.
My methodology is:
Set up the camera with the lens.
Open aperture to maximum, shutter open on T.
Focus the camera, using the ground glass, on something Very Far Away.
Adjust infinity stops on the rail so that they touch the front standard, and tighten down gently.
Speed Graphics use pointed screws that leave divots in the yoke (rail), not sure if Linhofs do the same....
I then mark on the yoke with fine tip Sharpie what lens that pair of infinity stops is for.
Hope this helps.

Great. Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm not sure if the existing stops have put divots inthe rail or not. I'll see when I move them I suppose.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2022, 11:59
Each pair of infinity stops are for a specific focal length lens as is each focusing scale. Your infinity stops should be color coded to indicate which lens they are for. If you no longer have the original focus cam by serial number for your lens then a service center should reposition the infinity stops for the lens you do have.

linhofbiker
22-Jul-2022, 12:11
I have had several Linhof Technikas 4x5 and 6x9 since the early 1970's and only once did I use the rangefinder. The rest of the time the camera was on a tripod. When I got a new lens (usually second hand) I would take the camera/lens outside and focus on a distant tree or building. When it snapped into focus that was where the infinity stops were screwed down. As Bob says it is good to have different spots of color corresponding to the lens (also with a "spot" of the same color). I have had as many as 5 sets on the 4x5. The scales can be useful for judging depth of field and setting hyperfocal distances, although there usually is not enough room for more than 3 of them.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2022, 12:41
I have had several Linhof Technikas 4x5 and 6x9 since the early 1970's and only once did I use the rangefinder. The rest of the time the camera was on a tripod. When I got a new lens (usually second hand) I would take the camera/lens outside and focus on a distant tree or building. When it snapped into focus that was where the infinity stops were screwed down. As Bob says it is good to have different spots of color corresponding to the lens (also with a "spot" of the same color). I have had as many as 5 sets on the 4x5. The scales can be useful for judging depth of field and setting hyperfocal distances, although there usually is not enough room for more than 3 of them.

You can have as many focusing scales as you want. 3 of them fit on the holder and the holders slide on and off to interchange them.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 13:02
You can have as many focusing scales as you want. 3 of them fit on the holder and the holders slide on and off to interchange them.

Thanks Bob. It has 3 scales fitted at the moment - 75, 135 & 250. I haven't investigated how to remove / fit them yet. If they just slide on then so much the better.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 13:11

Thanks. I can't see me using the rangefinder much either. When I had large-format cameras before, I used the ground glass to focus and it wasn't a problem. I think this Technika has 5 sets of infinity stops, though I'll probably only use one or two of them.

Bob Salomon
22-Jul-2022, 13:11
Thanks Bob. It has 3 scales fitted at the moment - 75, 135 & 250. I haven't investigated how to remove / fit them yet. If they just slide on then so much the better.

The stage that they are mounted on slides on and off. The focus scales are screwed onto that stage from the bottom of the stage. The stage clicks into place.
Your cam is color coded to its infinity stops.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 13:12
Each pair of infinity stops are for a specific focal length lens as is each focusing scale. Your infinity stops should be color coded to indicate which lens they are for. If you no longer have the original focus cam by serial number for your lens then a service center should reposition the infinity stops for the lens you do have.

Thanks Bob. The cam that's in the camera is for a 135mm lens but the lens did not come bundled with the body [I have a Nikkor W 135 but it's out of focus if I use the existing 135 stop on the camera]. The stops are indeed colour-coded. [I don't think I would be using the rangefinder much, so a matched cam is not a priority.]

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 13:15
The stage that they are mounted on slides on and off. The focus scales are screwed onto that stage from the bottom of the stage. The stage clicks into place.
Your cam is color coded to its infinity stops.

Thanks again Bob. I'll take a look at that.

ic-racer
22-Jul-2022, 17:25
With ground glass focus, if you tilt the back (which I do all the time) the infinity stop is not in the right position. So, on my non-rangefinder Horseman FA (with no rangefinder but with infinity stops), I place the infinity stop farther back than it would be if the camera had a rangefinder. They still do make setting the camera up a little quicker.
Essentially, if you are not using a rangefinder, you can put the stops wherever is convenient for your shooting style.

stephenmcateer
22-Jul-2022, 17:53
With ground glass focus, if you tilt the back (which I do all the time) the infinity stop is not in the right position. So, on my non-rangefinder Horseman FA (with no rangefinder but with infinity stops), I place the infinity stop farther back than it would be if the camera had a rangefinder. They still do make setting the camera up a little quicker.
Essentially, if you are not using a rangefinder, you can put the stops wherever is convenient for your shooting style.

Okay thanks for that. I'm going to look at setting the stops up tomorrow for the 135 Nikkor I have. I like to get the camera set-up as quickly as possible. [I don't plan on using the rangefinder any time soon but maybe at some point in future I will.]

Drew Wiley
22-Jul-2022, 20:06
It's a technical camera, so rangefinder focus came in handy for handheld work analogous to press camera use. My brother often used that feature for handheld 4X5 shooting, along with a Kenro gyro stabilizer. And there is someone in my neighborhood that would resort to rangefinder focus during quickie Technika shooting in the rain. Of course, that method is generally unrealistic when tilts or swings are involved.

One precaution. Lenses of even the same nominal focal length from different manufacturers might not have the same exact focal length, or even be mounted on the board with the same spacing. This constitutes a problem with cams. Double-check everything first. Perhaps Bob knows someone who can customize cams.

stephenmcateer
23-Jul-2022, 03:27
It's a technical camera, so rangefinder focus came in handy for handheld work analogous to press camera use. My brother often used that feature for handheld 4X5 shooting, along with a Kenro gyro stabilizer. And there is someone in my neighborhood that would resort to rangefinder focus during quickie Technika shooting in the rain. Of course, that method is generally unrealistic when tilts or swings are involved.

One precaution. Lenses of even the same nominal focal length from different manufacturers might not have the same exact focal length, or even be mounted on the board with the same spacing. This constitutes a problem with cams. Double-check everything first. Perhaps Bob knows someone who can customize cams.

Thanks. I had forgotten about gyro stabilizers. The rangefinder would be handy to have but it'll have to wait till I have spare cash for a new cam.