PDA

View Full Version : Borrow 90mm (or 72mm) Super-Angulon XL in the Boston, MA, USA area?

Steve Goldstein
17-Jul-2022, 07:35
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate sub-forum for this but the title pretty much says it all.

There's a particular tall subject near my home that I can't quite capture with my 90mm Nikkor-SW; I'm just running out of image circle using a Canham MQC (more front rise than any 4x5 I own) with bag bellows, 4x5 back, a little forward tilt of both standards, and maximum rise. The only 90mm I'm aware of with a larger IC than the Nikkor's 236mm is the SAXL at 259mm.

A 72mm SAXL would probably do as well with its 226mm IC, much more than the ~200m of the 75mm Nikkor-SW or f/4.5 Grandagon-N - I could crop out the unneeded bits during printing. But I'm more concerned about falloff with the wider lens even though I'm working in black-and-white.

I don't often use lenses this wide and don't really want to purchase a 90mm or 72mm SAXL for this one image. I live about 18 miles north of Boston and am obviously willing to drive a bit if you can help me out. Please drop me an email (better than a PM) if you've got one I can borrow for a few days. The subject is outdoors so the right weather, especially clouds, doesn't occur every day.

Thank you.

Bernice Loui
17-Jul-2022, 11:01
Possible to back up from the subject resulting in a smaller subject size as rendered by the 90mm on the GG?

The 72mm SAXL is excellent, owned and used one on 5x7 since it's introduction back in the late 90's. Light fall off of this and any similar wide angle LF lens is subjective and dependent on specific image needs. Using the 72mm on 4x5 then crop down might reduce the need for the light fall off correcting center filter as effective image circle used will be less than the full image circle of the 72mm SAXL.

Bernice

Steve Goldstein
17-Jul-2022, 11:58
Unfortunately the area around the subject is very constrained and I can’t move the camera position further back.

ic-racer
17-Jul-2022, 13:58
Just tilt the camera upward to frame the subject. Correct the converging verticals when printing. Almost all large format enlargers can do it.
Here is an image from a 210mm Symmar-S on 8x10 format. Plenty of effective front rise from a lens someone on these forums claimed does not even cover 8x10.