PDA

View Full Version : How do you filter lenses with large diameters

Steve Beyer
31-Mar-2006, 12:22
I would like others input on how they use filters for extremely large lense. I am particularly interested in 105mm and 122mm. It would be easy if the other side could use a smaller filter but in this case Schneider Fine Art lenses this option is not available. Thanks for your help

Donald Hutton
31-Mar-2006, 12:49
Cokin X-Pro are a fairly cheap solution. Lee filters also make filters in this size, but only as a special order. 122mm is a size issue - I think Cokin X-Pro adaptor rings only go up to 118mm (although I think you could probably have someone machine a custom holder attachment for you). If you going to spring for a 550XXL though, just buy a couple of new B&Ws to go with it (you are almost certainly shooting B&W so won't need a huge number) - they're less than $200 a pop...

Bob Salomon
31-Mar-2006, 12:53
Heliopan makes color, B&W, polarizers and ND filters in sizes up to 127mm including 122mm x 1 filters. They also make short and long metal lens hoods in 122 x 1 size.

Ralph Barker
31-Mar-2006, 13:07
I have a couple of 105mm glass filters, but mostly use gel, resin, or polyester filters on large lenses. I us a HiTech holder system that uses adapter rings to fit specific lens sizes. I don't think the HiTech holder would adapt to your 122mm lens, however. I've also simply hand-held the larger non-glass filters in front of the lens.

George Stewart
31-Mar-2006, 16:10
I had some 135mm extra-wide gelatin filter holders made by skgrimes. I then cut down 6" Kodak filters and mounted in these rings. Later I had a step down ring made so these filters could be used on other large lenses.

medform-norm
31-Mar-2006, 16:38
Perhaps this is a very simple minded question, but why not use a compendium with a built in filter holder for something likewratten filters? One size fits all and no step rings necessary.

resummerfield
31-Mar-2006, 18:24
I also use a compendium and slide in gels. Much cheaper than buying an assortment of step rings and large round filters, and the results are just as good.

Eric Leppanen
31-Mar-2006, 18:56
Nikon makes several 122mm round filters for black-and-white film that are relatively inexpensive ($89.95 each at B&H).

With regards to rectangular filter systems, I think the Cokin X-Pro system (130 x 170mm filter size) would be the best bet, especially if you have someone like SK Grimes fabricate a press-on filter holder which fits over the barrel of the lens. The holder would directly fit over the 550XXL lens barrel, and would use a doughnut adapter ring to fit onto the smaller 1100XXL. Use of a press-on holder (versus a holder attached via a screw-in adapter ring) will also minimize any possible vignetting with the 550XXL when movements are applied.

In lieu of a filter holder, you can also tape the X-Pro filters to the lens barrel. Certainly not an elegant solution, but it works!