PDA

View Full Version : Wanderlust 4x5 Travelwide

Andrew O'Neill
11-Jul-2022, 09:27
I sure loved using this camera... took it with me to Japan a few times. I loved it until the metal parts inside the heliocoid snapped. Converted it to a pinhole, but miss walking around with a 90mm lens on it. Does anyone know if there are replacements parts? Why on earth is their website still up when they are no longer appear to be in business?

Tin Can
11-Jul-2022, 09:54
They became very angry

I got to to know them personally early, as their factory was close by

I saw the flaw right off, and have been very gentle with it, my helical works smoothly

Mine works fine, but I retired it to PINHOLE! and replaced it with the Norwegian 3D printed thing

I posted a comparison last year

Andrew O'Neill
11-Jul-2022, 10:21
They became very angry

I got to to know them personally early, as their factory was close by

I saw the flaw right off, and have been very gentle with it, my helical works smoothly

Mine works fine, but I retired it to PINHOLE! and replaced it with the Norwegian 3D printed thing

I posted a comparison last year

The focusing on mine was tight at first, but eventually quite smooth. Too much back and forth focusing did it in, I guess. I do like it as a pinhole. I got a .4 on it which renders quite sharp images. What I liked about pinhole and the heliocoid was variable focal lengths.

Scott Davis
13-Jul-2022, 08:40
I have only ever used mine as a pinhole. The focusing on my helicoid is still a bit scratchy, although I play with it from time to time. I actually just shot with it as a pinhole this past weekend. I really like the factory pinhole they supplied.

Andrew O'Neill
13-Jul-2022, 20:24
I have only ever used mine as a pinhole. The focusing on my helicoid is still a bit scratchy, although I play with it from time to time. I actually just shot with it as a pinhole this past weekend. I really like the factory pinhole they supplied.

I lost mine!

Tin Can
14-Jul-2022, 02:34
Mine is somewhere in my pile

I need to find it, as I am going full bore pinhole

I lost mine!

xkaes
14-Jul-2022, 08:04
Seems to me like a pretty expensive pinhole camera -- especially is you like Quaker Oats, or bought some shoes recently.

Scott Davis
14-Jul-2022, 13:44
Seems to me like a pretty expensive pinhole camera -- especially is you like Quaker Oats, or bought some shoes recently.

It's a very different quality of pinhole- the aperture is extremely well-made, and has minimal vignetting and high sharpness (for a pinhole). Each has its own aesthetic. I personally prefer the cleaner, sharper images from the Travelwide.

xkaes
14-Jul-2022, 15:04
I wasn't referring to the cost or quality of the Travelwide pinhole itself, but rather to the cost of the camera. You can get a top-quality pinhole itself for a few bucks -- and use it in a shoe box.

letchhausen
15-Jul-2022, 12:32
When KEH were here in town I sold the TravelWide along with the 90mm Schneider to them, along with that Zero 69 pinhole, Sony A6100 and my 6x9 folder. All those formats that seemed cool to try but were really just a waste of my time.

Scott Davis
25-Jul-2022, 09:01

Here's a pinhole shot taken with my Travelwide. It works a champ, and I added a zoom finder that shows fields of view from 58mm to 90 (maybe 135? I forget, because I obviously only use it at the 58 end) to aid in composing.

stephenmcateer
26-Jul-2022, 05:16
Morten Kolve does 3D printed cameras which are very nice. They're on eBay. Name of the product is WillTravel. He does a variety of formats.

lassethomas
26-Jul-2022, 06:14
A few pictures of my Will Travel XL 47

Printed from morten Kolves designs

Tin Can
26-Jul-2022, 06:39
I don't want to buy a 3D printer

So I bought the printed camera

Easy

and I like it

I was able to transfer all my bits from Travelwide to Will Travel

and still use TW for Pin Hole