schneider symmar s mc 480 8.4 /

or

schneider super symmar xl 150 5.6 mc. aspheric /
sinar sinaron se 300 5.6 /
schneider symmar s mc 480 8.4. /

Please let me know, thank you.

steve simmons
31-Mar-2006, 11:08
You are not comparing apples and apples with the different focal lengths. Do you need something as wide as the 150 which is half normal. If so then get one.

steve simmons

clemenstriest
31-Mar-2006, 12:15
Hi,

I mostly use 300 mm and 480 mm (both Schneider Symmar's) and sometimes 150 mm asph., 240 mm (rarely) and 360 mm (more often).

My proposition: the best would be a combination of both!

Best regards and best success

Bill_1856
31-Mar-2006, 12:18
If YOU don't know what you need, then you don't need it.

neil poulsen
31-Mar-2006, 13:03
There is one basis of comparison between these two lenses. The 360 has much greater movements. Stopped down, it easily exceeds 500mm, whereas one will obtain very limited movements with the 240mm Symmar-S.

Large format isn't the same without the capability of making adjustments.

At the same time, the 360mm Symmar-S is a GARGANTUAN lens. It is huge and heavy. I had one and sold it for that reason. And, as for the 480mm . . . !

An alternative to the 240mm Symmar S that has greater movements is the Fuji 250mm f6.7 with an image circle of 389mm. (Not the f6.3.) Or, get the 355mm G-Claron f9.

William Mortensen
31-Mar-2006, 13:13
Buy a 300mm, and let it tell you what you need next. All the lenses you listed are very good (and very expensive), but as it depends on your own personal way of seeing, you have to find out what you want rather than have other people tell you what you want.

BTW, working with only one lens is as liberating as it is limiting.

Ralph Barker
31-Mar-2006, 13:16
My suggestion, Daniele, would be to start with one lens that is fairly close to "normal" for 8x10, and then consider others as may be suggested by your shooting environment and focal length preferences for the format after you've used it for a while. For example, I found that my preference on 8x10 leans toward wider than normal, while my preference on 4x5 leans toward longer than normal.

The 250/6.7 Fuji or the 355/9 G-Claron that Neil suggested are good candidates for that first lens.

steve simmons
31-Mar-2006, 13:26
What lenses and what format are you using now? If you are using 4x5 then take your favorite lenses and double their focal length. If you are using medium take your favorite lenses and multiply their focal length by 4. If you are using 35mm then use a factor of six. This is much better for you than arbitrarily taking someone else's recommendation. Because the proportions change a little from format to format there will not be an exact match.

If you are new to large format there are several articles here that might help

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

Here are some books that might be helpful

Jim Stone’s User’s Guide to the View Camera

My book Using the View Camera

Jack Dykinga’s book Large Format Nature Photography.

Check one/all out from your local library (I have no financial interest in books being checked out of a library).

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Robert Skeoch
31-Mar-2006, 20:25
I think you might be starting at a point many people would consider an "ending point"
I would suggest getting any one lens and shooting with it for a while and seeing where it takes you.
If it was me.... that lens would be a Fuji 300C F8.5 for 8x10. Not near as heavy as the others.
I would then add a Fuji 450C F12 (copal 1 shutter with the same filter size as the 300C) This is my favorite lens.
Then I would add a Fuji 240A (comes in a copal 0 shutter... supper light weight) Since I don't use the 240 much I wouldn't consider the 150mm it's too wide.
I might consider a Fuji 600C down the road..... but don't really want to carry the weight.

Just my 2 cents worth... which is about what it's worth.

-Rob Skeoch
BigCameraWorkshops.com

Diane Maher
31-Mar-2006, 20:50
What sort of subjects are you shooting? Are they landscapes with wide angles? Or does your subject fill the frame? Before buying any lens, consider what you shoot and how any prospective new lens will fit into your style of photography.

Ed K.
31-Mar-2006, 21:53
Daniele,

If you have a rental house account, you might find that renting some lenses works well. I rent lenses that I don't use more than a few times per year. If I see that I'm renting a bit much, or that I really love a particular lens, I try to buy one, otherwise, the other photographer's who rent it share the cost of the occasional use. The downside is that if you do a lot of weather-dependent work, you might not have the lens you want at the right time. Through experiments with rental lenses, you'll find out quickly which lenses are working best for you.

You might also look at your work to consider whether you're doing best with slightly longer or shorter lenses in general, check how you see things. Do check your bellows specs on your camera to ensure that they can handle the focal length you wish to use, be that long, normal or short.

Rob, I wouldn't mind the weight of a 600C - if you get one and then decide it's too heavy to carry, you can always donate it to me! The weight of a lens isn't always that important if you're not hiking or walking around much.

John Kasaian
2-Apr-2006, 09:56
Daniele,

What kinds of subjects do you shoot?

The 15omm is a very specialized lens. Does your shooting often require this focal length?
240mm 300mm and 360mm are great 'middle of the road' focal lengths for 8x10=very useful. Any one will give you good service.
480mm is about as long as most of us can go on a field camera. If you're shooting a tank like a Calumet Green Monster you can go with a bigger heavier lens (600mm+) For the 'grand landscape' portraits, or architectural details long lenses can be very useful. If these are the kinds of subjects that interest you then you may also consider the 450 Nikor M.
If you're just starting our with 8x10, I suggest as others here have suggested, get one lens and add the others if and when needed.

Daniele Minetto
3-Apr-2006, 00:18
My dear friends! I’m very grateful to you all for your reply. But I’ m very sorry cause somebody of you misunderstood the sense of my question ( I think this was certainly because I’m Italian and my English is so poor, I apologize in advance for that). The opinions I’d like to share is not what do you think it is better for me ( suppose that I already own and use all of the listed lenses ) but what you consider it should be better for you among them, and why.
In order:
/ - Steve Simmons: dear Steve, I can’t believe my eyes when I saw your name on first reply. Wiev Camera and Camera Arts are the most beautiful photo magazines I’ve ever read and the unique I currently subscribe ( what about the February-march issue of Camera arts? after changing the subscription from Robert White I haven’t received till now).
About your reply: what would be your choice between 150 xl and 240 se, considering your personal preference, your needs, the use of centre filter or not and then which would be the next focal length you’d like better 300 se or s 360…..?
/ - Clemenstriest: why 240 rarely than 360? ( it’s easy to say you’re absolutely right when you propose a combination…)
/ - Bill: I’m looking for a 120 nikkor SW to use with 8x10 because I know what I need, but what do YOU think about the combination of lenses I listed?
/ - Neil Poulsen: thanks Neil , interesting answer, I say sinaron se 240 ( image circle 372 mm angle of coverage 75° ) and I must note that symmar s 480 is a little less huge than 360 that is a lot bigger than sinaron se 300
/ - Mark Sawyer: please, do not say you,you,you and you. I’ll be glad to read I, I, I, and I.
I tell you a secret, I found a shop here in italy where the lens I listed are all ridicously underpriced since all their professional customer are switching to digital and let them their superb lenses for a handful of dimes to buy digital.
/ - Ralph Baker: thank you Ralph. Why on 8x10 you like wider and on 4x5 longer?
- Steve Simmons 2: for this reply a combination of what I write to Mark sawyer and Bill will be good. I found your site and your magazines very very important for me in this field.
/ -Rob Skeoch: finally….if it was me! Thanks a lot! But you do not consider any of my listed lenses!-
/ - Diane Maher: please, my best wish is that you answer to all the questions you pose to me.
/ - John Kasaian: what kind of subject do you shoot? And which of the listed lenses you’ll prefer for that particular subject?

In conclusion I want to thanks all of you very much for your interest in my question and for your prompt reply. This forum with your contributions is probably one of the most useful photographic source on the web. Thanks again.

Lars Åke Vinberg
3-Apr-2006, 01:01
I find myself using wider lenses on 8x10 than on smaller format, and compose less tightly. I can always crop later, and especially with the 150XL there is plenty of sharpness. I now pack the 150XL (always), Fuji 5.6/210, Fuji 6.7/250 (if I need movements), and Cooke XVa 311/473/645.

John Kasaian
3-Apr-2006, 01:55
Daniele,

I have no experience with any of the lens you are suggesting, but I have used similar if not identical focal lengths.

A 240mm is very useful for architecture and intimate landscapes(say a tree, creek or rock formation) and still life. For architecture a 240 will allow you to play with perspective controls. Wider lenses, like my 159mm don't have the coverage to do much with camera movements. The 150mm Super Symmar may have the ability to cover while using your swings and tilts----I don't know since I've never used that lens---but if it does and I had the money for it I'd sure look into it if I were shooting a lot of architecture and needed camera movements. I manage to get by nicely with my 159mm Wollensak.

The 360mm/14" is a great medium focal length lens. I use it for landscapes and portraits. The only 8x10 lens I used for years was a 14" Commercial Ektar and I didn't feel the least bit handicapped by it. I could have easily said the same thing about a 300mm/12" lens like a Dagor, but 300mm is very close to 240mm. I could probably say the same for 16-1/2" but I don't want to confuse the issue.

The 480mm/19" lens is one of my favorite lenses for landscapes. If you're shooting "wide open" landscapes a 19" will bring the mountains a bit closer while medium and wide lenses will make the mountains look like they're far far away.

Of course there are other considerations---your camera's ability to accept and utilize lenses that may require larger lensboards, stronger front standards and bellows that are long enough or remain flexible enough when compressed as well as being able to focus without the bed being in the way with very very wide lenses. If you're hiking any distance, the size and wieght of your lens(es) might be an issue as well. One Ektar in a #5 Universal is simply big and heavy, two Ektars in #5 Universals is a hardship.

The cost can also be an issue---it sure is for me. Nearly all my lenses are used. For my shooting this is quite acceptable, but I'm not shooting commercially. Your needs may require more contemporary lenses.

I hope this helps---welcome to 8x10!

archivue
30-Mar-2007, 13:06
210W
300se
450 fuji C

Ole Tjugen
30-Mar-2007, 13:28
Start with what you can find. That will show you what you want most, and what is next on the list...

My own selection is:
121/8 Super Angulon
150/16 WA Aplanat
165/6.8 Angulon
210/5.6 Symmar (convertible)
240/5.6 Symmar (convertible)
270/7.7 Aristoplanat
300/5.6 Symmar (convertible)
300/7.2 Hemi-anastigmat
355/9 G-Claron
480/9 Apo-Ronar
640/7.2 Aplanat

A 500/5.5 Aerotar and a 14" f:3.5 Petzval, if I can find a way to mount a camera to them...

No, I don't "need" all these lenses. My favorites are the 121 and the 150, wih the 240 a close third.

Ben Hopson
30-Mar-2007, 15:04
I wonder what lens/lenses Daniele selected as the best for personal use from the list posted a year ago.

Dave_B
30-Mar-2007, 19:54
Daniele:

My 8x10 lens kit consists of:

Lens Length Aperture Shutter IC Filter

Nikon-SW 120 8 0 312 77

Schneider SA 121 8 0 288(?) 77

Nikon-SW 150 8 1 400 95

Roden-GN 155 6.8 1 382 105

Schneider-AS 210 5.6 1 305 77

Nikon-AM 210 5.6 1 400 67

Nikon-W 240 5.6 3 336 82

Calumet-SII 240 5.6 3 337 86

Schn G-Clar 240 9 B 319 46

Nikon-M 300 9 1 325 52

Nikon-W 300 5.6 3 420 95

Nikon-W 360 6.5 3 494 95

Nikon-M 450 9 3 440 67

Nikon-T ED 600 9 3 310 95

Nikon-T ED 800 12 3 310 95

Nikon-T ED 1200 18 3 310 95

These are what I have chosen to use for my 8x10 setup. Others are likely to work as well. These are what I have collected in a couple of years of work.
Good luck,
Dave B.

BTW, I used to live in Vicenza. Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world. You live in a place that is perfect for a LF camera.