PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 45GF with a Horseman/Wista 6x9 Back?

Al D
30-Mar-2006, 19:10
I know that a Tachihara 45GF does not come equipped with a Graflock back. Instead, it is equipped with a spring back.

Is it possible to use this camera with the Horseman or Wista 6x9 roll film backs? I am aware that Cambo manufactures 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 roll film backs that fit this spring back (any back, actually) but it appears that there are some serious issues with film flatness even with the new C2N backs.

I'm also aware that there are several other View Cameras (Shen Hao, Horseman, Wista) that do have International (Graflock) backs. But the Tachihara has a slightly longer bellows extension, costs about $500 less than a comporable Wista, and is considerably lighter than the Shen Hao (maybe as much as 2 lbs). So, I'd really like to investigate the Tachi's compatibility with a 6x9 roll film back intended for Graflock backs.

Many thanks.

Brian Ellis
30-Mar-2006, 19:16
"but it appears that there are some serious issues with film flatness even with the new C2N backs"

I don't know about "new" C2N backs? Were they redesigned recently? I used a C2N 6x7 back on my Tachihara about 8 years ago and the back worked fine, I had no film flatness problems though I dind' t use the back a whole lot, maybe some problem would have come up with more use. I prefer the backs like the C2N that fit under a spring back. They're considerably more convenient to use in the field.

Eric Biggerstaff
30-Mar-2006, 20:18
I had two C2N 6X9 backs that I used with my Tachihara for a long time and never noticed film flatness issues.

Have they changed the design in the past couple of years?

Al D
30-Mar-2006, 20:19
Sorry for the confusion.

No, to my knowledge the C2N hasn't changed in design. It is new only compared to the earlier C2 (no "N").

Oren Grad
30-Mar-2006, 21:01
Al, there's a special version of the Wista 4x5/6x9 back with "butterfly wings" - basically, an additional piece on the housing that allows you to use it as a slide-in holder in a spring back without scratching up the ground glass. The price is not much higher than that for the regular version. The only caveat is that the spring back needs to be able to open up very wide for this back to fit in - it's much thicker than the Cambo, Sinar and Linhof (6x7 only) slide-in roll holders. I don't know whether the Tachihara is designed for that.

If you want to see what this back looks like, you can search for it on the B&H website - it's B&H stock #WIFB6945DX.

Hiro
30-Mar-2006, 23:03
I haven't used them, but I know a photographer who has been using the Horseman roll film holder (Are there two versions? Not sure which one). A bit awkward but usable. To avoid scratching the fresnel, he taped a piece of sponge on the back of the holder. It also helps, he says, to keep the holder in place to avoid light leaks and movement of the film plane.

Another option is the Toyo holder:

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=61073&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=61073&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation).

It has rails on the edges and doesn't damage the fresnel. The downside is it's more expensive than the camera...

letchhausen
17-May-2010, 22:48
Al, I know this is years later but I'm wondering if you ever solved this? I called Badger Graphic today and they told me that the Horseman wouldn't fit a Tachihara but I've read about users who have used it. I was wondering what your experience was.

letchhausen
18-May-2010, 21:40
Al, I know this is years later but I'm wondering if you ever solved this? I called Badger Graphic today and they told me that the Horseman wouldn't fit a Tachihara but I've read about users who have used it. I was wondering what your experience was.Or what anyone's experience was using a Horseman or Wista with a Tachihara.

To measure the spring back I put a Fuji PA-45 back, a Fuji 10 sheet film box and two regular 4x5 sheet film holders under the spring loaded ground glass. That's about 3 inches worth of stuff with no problem fitting it in. So I guess the question is, how thick is a Horseman holder? It would seem that if I put something like a piece of foam rubber over it it wouldn't scratch the ground glass. Or does the back/holder need to lock in somehow and that's what the Tachihara lacks?

I'm not sure but I've read a ton on the web and there's a million people willing to say that you can't do it because of the back but the question remains to be narrowed down. Since I've never seen one perhaps those Horseman backs are six inches deep. But the Tachihara opens up wide enough for the depth of a Hasselblad back (though it's not wide enough to fit in there).

rguinter
19-May-2010, 17:35
I've never tried any other back. But my Sinars fit beautifully in my Tachihara. Probably goes without saying but the Sinars were made for the spring back I guess. There are a couple of (reasonably priced) Sinars on the auction site right now that look in good shape. Probably the best way to go. Just my opinion. Cheers. BG

rguinter
19-May-2010, 17:39
P.S. The attached done with the Sinar back and Tachihara with Efke Aura. Not my best work but proof that the system works and no light leaks. Grass was eV 14 and I was sweating under the hot sun when I took the shot. Cheers. BG

letchhausen
19-May-2010, 19:20
I've never tried any other back. But my Sinars fit beautifully in my Tachihara. Probably goes without saying but the Sinars were made for the spring back I guess. There are a couple of (reasonably priced) Sinars on the auction site right now that look in good shape. Probably the best way to go. Just my opinion. Cheers. BG

Thanks! And that's a gorgeous shot!

rguinter
20-May-2010, 10:07
Thanks! And that's a gorgeous shot!

Well thanks. But to me it didn't quite pull out the emotion of seeing the old chevrolet rusting away... since my family owned one just like it when I was a kid. Used to ride in the back sitting on an old soap box. There was no back seat.

A crop of the shot pulls out the emotion a bit better. It's toothless and old... I've faired a bit better. And another in MF false color Ektachrome. Cheers. Bob G.

letchhausen
22-May-2010, 22:52
I've gone ahead and ordered a Horseman 6x9 back from KEH. I've measured the opening of the Tachihara and after seeing the Wista with the butterfly wings for spring backs I figure I can either put a piece of foam rubber for now or make something like the Wista attachment. I'll report back on what happens.

letchhausen
5-Jun-2010, 10:10
I've been putting a piece of cut matboard against the side of the back that has the ground glass and shooting with the Horseman back several times now. The Horseman fits pretty easily under the spring back. The mat board keeps the GG safe so all is good. What I need to do next is create a mask for focusing. So far I've just been using the lines on the GG. But no light leaks and no problems with the camera. I like the way the Horseman loads so I'm happy. This means for my next color class that when I send out my 4x5 color negatives for development that I'll be able to get some roll film developed immediately for assignments.

debellatio
6-Jun-2010, 19:41
you can definitely insert the horseman back into tachi's back, no problem for shooting. but i'm afraid the back will damage the fresnel screen. I modified the tachi for using a sinar zoom back, it's better than the horseman style but it's just too heavy, so now I just give up of shooting 6x9 on a tachi.

Gem Singer
6-Jun-2010, 20:02
I use a Calumet/Cambo 6x9 roll film back with my 4x5 Tachi.

It's only slightly thicker than a standard sheet film holder.

No problems. 8 shots on a roll of 120. Works great.