PDA

View Full Version : Cases for Kodak 8x10's

Jim Grimes
29-Mar-2006, 11:38
I am looking for a case in which I can transport my Kodak Master 8x10 and Commercial View cameras. It doesn't have to be a hard case, but something that would protect the cameras while they are in my van or pickup.

Does anyone have a recommendation and source? Not looking to pay $100's, but reasonably priced.

Thanks
James

Mark Sampson
29-Mar-2006, 12:09
The 8x10 Master View came with a fiberboard (or Vulcanoid) case that offers no padding whatsoever (we have one at work). Calumet may still offer something useful, or the backpackers may have an idea or two.

David Richhart
29-Mar-2006, 12:16
James, I keep an old metal Coleman cooler in the back of my truck/camper shell, for transporting cameras. The cooler keeps things cool and secure and they come in many sizes. I wouldn't want to keep things sealed in it for long term storage because of the possible moisture problems, but it sure makes a good transport case...

Also, it doesn't look too "PHOTOGRAPHY-ISH", which might encourages theft.

John Kasaian
29-Mar-2006, 12:56
I'll "second" the idea of a cooler---the more beat up looking the better, but keep it out of sight in bear country for obvious reasons. Have fun!

Dean Cookson
29-Mar-2006, 12:59
These guys (http://www.kjsphotography.com/products/index.php) might have what you're looking for.

Tony Karnezis
29-Mar-2006, 13:17
I use plastic, snap-lid storage containers that I use to store clothes under my bed. I wrap the camera in a towel or a sheet of bubble wrap. The containers are dirt cheap and can be bought at Target, Walmart or other similar stores.

Dave Hally
29-Mar-2006, 13:27
I use a "soft" cooler to transport my 4x5 outfit. It has a hard plastic liner inside the insulated shell. With everything in wraps, it works well and doesn't look like photo gear. I've use this setup on my motorcycle, with the tripod in a bag for a folding camp chair, with no problems.
Dave

Philip_5765
29-Mar-2006, 17:21
Pelican 1650. Best case I ever bought.

Salty
29-Mar-2006, 21:10
Gee, I was going to suggest a foam-lined plastic milk crate... I have a wood 8x10 for field work but when I use my 8x10 Cambo indoors and need to take it off the tripod and store it temporarly, I put it in a plastic milk crate. It keeps it safe and out of the way, good cheap, Temporary storage.

Jim Grimes
30-Mar-2006, 06:40
All great ideas. I will start with the coleman cooler idea first. Also contacted Ken Saiditta for a quote. Any more ideas... please share. Thanks much.

Frank Petronio
30-Mar-2006, 07:11
Proper cases are nice for air travel and commercial work, but the foam lined cooler is really a great solution if you have the room and are working out of a van or SUV. I got dense foam from a kayak/canoe shop - used for kayak cockpits - and it doesn't crumble with use. You can also use softer foam and have a seamstress sew nylon slipcovers over it to prevent it from crumbling (like a camera bag).

I bet a guy like Ken Saiditta could come up with a custom fitted liner for a Coleman cooler, which would be pretty nice.