PDA

View Full Version : Why are we here?

Bernice Loui
16-Jun-2022, 11:17
In response to the ~What are we allowed to talk about in the Lounge?~ discussion
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?169052-What-are-we-allowed-to-talk-about-in-the-Lounge

Why are we here? Discuss.

Bernice

Dugan
16-Jun-2022, 11:20
To share information about the avocation we enjoy...large format photography.

And to debate depth of field. :cool:

Mark Sampson
16-Jun-2022, 11:34
"Why are we here?"
A question from the dawn of human consciousness, still being asked.
There are almost as many answers as questioners.

I'm a member of this forum because I've been making photographs with large-format cameras, professionally and personally, for over forty years.
I enjoy seeing other photographer's work and reading their stories, opinions, and advice. I still learn useful and enjoyable things from you all.
And by now, sometimes I can offer help to other members.
In short, I like it here.

Ulophot
16-Jun-2022, 13:03
Let us never stop learning. There is much to learn here, and it is for most part focussed on what its title implies, large format, with appropriate allowances for those of us who stray into smaller formats. (That's just a joke, folks; just a joke.) And let us look forward to more new photographers discovering the best of what this forum offers and enrich it with their enthusiasm and ideas. It's a good place, thanks to members and moderators alike, to share our passion, our knowledge, and our questions.

Not to be forgotten, we're also here due to the generosity of its creator.

Dan Fromm
16-Jun-2022, 13:14
These days I'm here mainly to be helpful. That's why "the list.'"

ic-racer
16-Jun-2022, 13:28
Why are we here?
Self-assembling molecules.

sharktooth
16-Jun-2022, 14:06
We're here because we all have a common interest, and we like to learn, share, surprise, boast, ....and of course, argue.

j.e.simmons
16-Jun-2022, 14:07
I’m hoping for THE magic bullet.

Sal Santamaura
16-Jun-2022, 17:10
In response to the ~What are we allowed to talk about in the Lounge?~ discussion...Why are we here?...

Same answer as was provided in that thread: to discuss

...this forum's raison d'être, namely, the craft of large format photography...

Dugan
17-Jun-2022, 19:48
If you want to get really philosophical....
Are we really here?
...and where is this "here" of which we speak?

jnantz
17-Jun-2022, 20:23
habit, and its been a nice place to visit for IDK 20+ years ..

Daniel Stone
17-Jun-2022, 20:27
I enjoy reading through older posts from members long gone(RIP), still here, or now, many whom are no longer active. Some of my best life memories thus far are with people whom I have connected with through this forum, and APUG. Photography has led me through some interesting twists and turns, and the knowledge shared here, to me, is indicative of not just the time spent writing what they have, but the time spent learning that shared information. Sometimes decades, condensed into a few short sentences or paragraphs.

Knowledge is power, but like electricity, it is only useful if transferred from one body to another.

Jody_S
17-Jun-2022, 20:40
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally believe I'm here because many years ago, my parents had sex. As for why I'm on this forum, it helped me transition from a decent tiny format wildlife photographer into a mediocre large format performance artist and lens collector.

LabRat
17-Jun-2022, 22:12
I'm here 'cuz I remember starting out too long ago, and not knowing where to go and where it could take me... I found some mentors that really helped get the ball rolling for me... Often, there is some vexing question blocking you from going forward, so important to get past that obstacle...

I have lived a charmed and also cursed life trying to keep moving towards being able to communicate using this medium... I have been handed too many problems to solve to produce and deliver pro work, and not "paid" for most of the sweat and brain-busting needed on the spot then before proceeding usually alone...

Sharing actual experience has been cartahic by not letting those used-up brain cells go to waste, and gives me a chance to review things that are becoming forgotten, and gives me meaning and perspective of long time problem solving... And it helps keep my writing abilities active, and articulate complex ideas more simply...

And it feels good to help others!!! ;)

Steve K

wclark5179
18-Jun-2022, 07:00
Gives me something to do.

John Layton
20-Jun-2022, 13:22
As my own final event-horizon comes ever closer...I feel more and more like sharing as much as possible in the hopes that others can find this to be of some use to their own journeys. I also like to commiserate and have a bit of fun, and to enjoy the ride!

Vaughn
20-Jun-2022, 13:38
To see how weird the way I think is.

Tin Can
21-Jun-2022, 03:56
I needed an intense hobby to keep me alive

It's working!

nolindan
21-Jun-2022, 05:32
Why are we here?

Driven by the laws of thermodynamics, our purpose is to make garbage and waste energy.

The more garbage we make and energy we waste the wider the grin on God's face.

Racer X 69
22-Jun-2022, 05:50
Why not?

Dugan
22-Jun-2022, 11:28
I was told there'd be donuts....
:)

prado333
23-Jun-2022, 05:06
Learning

RichSBV
24-Jun-2022, 21:23
Forty Two !

Oren Grad
24-Jun-2022, 21:28
Forty Two !

Do keep an eye out for the hitchhikers...

j.e.simmons
25-Jun-2022, 05:09
I was once in a thrift store looking at books. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was shelved in the travel section.

Dugan
25-Jun-2022, 06:30
I hope you didn't panic....:cool:

John Layton
25-Jun-2022, 07:18
...and that you didn't forget your towel!

Bernice Loui
25-Jun-2022, 10:14
But, will there be coffee_?_

Bernice

was told there'd be donuts....
:)

Tin Can
25-Jun-2022, 10:53
i miss Dunkin Donuts S counter, red seats, 24 hours

and a donut with a handle

i did Dunk

often