PDA

View Full Version : Do Fujinon CM-W lenses use aspherical elements?

mhayashi
12-Jun-2022, 23:45
With regard to the following post,
I went to the local LF shop in Tokyo today.

Whether CM-W fujinon lenses used aspherical elemets, Hamada-san, a former director of Fujinon optical design division answered as follows.

CM-W fujinons did not use the aspherical elements. The reasons are the difficulties in the quality control of aspherical element productions and the high cost. I chose non-aspherical elements for better bokeh renditions as another reason.

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?167896-Thoughts-on-Fuji-Fujifilm-CM-Fujinon-W-210mm&p=1637213&viewfull=1#post1637213

Bernice Loui
13-Jun-2022, 11:09
Thanks mhayashi for inquiring about this question and posting the reply from Hamada-san, a former director of Fujinon optical design division of the Fujinon CM-W does not have an aspherical element in this Fujinon lens design.

Bernice

John Layton
13-Jun-2022, 11:39
...seems like in the vast realm of lens-related trivia - Fujinon would take the prize! Am I right?

xkaes
13-Jun-2022, 12:49
...seems like in the vast realm of lens-related trivia - Fujinon would take the prize! Am I right?

I'm not so sure about the "Lens-related Trivia Award", but certainly the "Lens-related Myths Award" -- starting with their early Rectar lenses, which as rumor had it were filled with water.

Drew Wiley
13-Jun-2022, 17:07
Lenses filled with water have probably been around hundreds of millions of years. Standard equipment with a great many species.

Oren Grad
13-Jun-2022, 17:32
Here's your water-filled lens:

https://www.thefisheyelist.com/lens/the-sutton-lens/

Oren Grad
13-Jun-2022, 17:36
Hayashi-san: thanks so much for asking and for posting this. I've renamed the thread - sometimes it makes sense to be polite by indirection, but this one should be labeled explicitly so that it will be easy to find by those who are interested in the question.

xkaes
13-Jun-2022, 18:33
The eyes have it.

Joseph Kashi
13-Jun-2022, 23:02
Hayashi-san: thanks so much for asking and for posting this. I've renamed the thread - sometimes it makes sense to be polite by indirection, but this one should be labeled explicitly so that it will be easy to find by those who are interested in the question.

I concur that this is a definitive answer to the question. Thank you, Hayashi-san. It's always nice to have real data.

mhayashi
14-Jun-2022, 01:07
Thank you Oren for the correction.

Joseph Kashi
14-Jun-2022, 19:41
I am very glad to see the moderation of the postings to avoid tangential ad hominem thread-hijacking when what we need is real data, as we learned in 8.01 etc. FWIW, I did some test shots with my 250mm CM-W Fujinon of images with out-of-focus highlights, looking for the reputed onion-ring bokeh that the digerati believe to indicate aspherical elements but saw nothing out of the ordinary.