PDA

View Full Version : Book form plate holders for wet plate

awty
3-Jun-2022, 16:03
Does anyone use them for wet plate?
What modifications are needed?
I can't seem to find any information on google.
Thanks.

Tin Can
4-Jun-2022, 05:53
I THINK they are usable for WET

if you clean them carefully every usage

But I have not done it

and nobody answered you

I bought a new 5X7 plastic one works well for both wet and dry

Does anyone use them for wet plate?
What modifications are needed?
I can't seem to find any information on google.
Thanks.

Mark Sawyer
4-Jun-2022, 09:13
Those are meant for dry plate; any plate holder that's double-sided is meant for dry plate, as wet plates are shot one at a time. If the inside isn't finished, put a protective coat of polyurethane, enamel, or the like to give it some protection, and as Tin Can mentioned, clean after every use, (which you should do with ANY holder used in wet plate, if only to prevent contamination of the next plate). If there is any spring pushing the plate forward, make sure it doesn't push the plate into the dark slide, (this is especially true for aluminum tintypes, as the aluminum flexes easily).

awty
4-Jun-2022, 15:37
Thanks.
I cut down some tac heads and drilled little holes to fit and glued them in after spraying on some flat enamel paint. I will see how that works. I packed out the ground glass and cracked it. Will make another.
1/2 plate is a nice small size, bit better than 4x5.
Have to convert a 8x10 plastic film holder at some time.

Mark Sawyer
5-Jun-2022, 14:27
I'm not sure why you put the tacks in, but if they move the plate off the focal plane, you may have minor focus problems.

I agree that half plate is a nice size. 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 look so modern with tintypes and ambrotypes.