PDA

View Full Version : photography

alissa
26-Mar-2006, 11:02
i need to no all about photography, including income rate.

Glenn Kroeger
26-Mar-2006, 11:13
First you need to learn to spell know.

MIke Sherck
26-Mar-2006, 11:54
"all about photography" is a broad subject, requiring an answer far too long for this forum. Your local library should have any number of books which, at the very least, will help you to formulate specific questions. Using search engines, providing that you spell the search terms correctly, can also be helpful for summaries but, truely, the subject is too broad for a quick answer.

tim atherton
26-Mar-2006, 12:28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

from $16.00/hr to $400,000+ pa to sales of $600,000 for a single image

Andre Noble
26-Mar-2006, 13:30
Let me guess, your paper is due tomorrow?

Glenn Thoreson
26-Mar-2006, 14:14
I've been at it quite a long while and I STILL need to know all there is to know about photography.

E. von Hoegh
26-Mar-2006, 15:33
alissa,
Please budget several years of intensive study. And, get rid of the spell check program and/ or learn how to spell. Iam dyslexic, and would sell my soul to
santa not to be.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Mar-2006, 20:29
"i need to no all about photography, including income rate"....why? You remind me of my highschool students who want everything done for them, refuse to "do the work", and don't know how to say please and thank you. Those two words go a long way.

jhogan
26-Mar-2006, 23:00
Here, Alissa, is all you need to know:

Part 1-Become a professional model. While modeling professionally, watch carefully the way photographers click the little button thingys on their cameras. You should also pay attention to the way a photographer compliments the client on their clothes/haircut/dog in between shots. Notice also how they sometimes click their cameras at weird things: the remnants of lunch, cigarette butts, old shoes. Along the way, do your best to remember how poorly photographers treat you during shoots.

Part 2- Start to age, and/or have your "look" go out of fashion. Don't fear. Get a camera, and tell everyone you're tired of being an object and feel the need to contribute to the world of art. Hang out in NYC and LA with stylists, designers, and magazine editors. Do NOT hang out with "regular" photographers- very unglamorous, usually with bad hair. Important detail: Along the way, take pictures of weird things: the remnants of lunch, cigarette butts, old shoes.

Soon you'll find you're being compensated rather handsomely- maybe not as well as when you were a model, but not bad for doing nothing. Even better, you'll still be the center of attention, but no longer have to look good on the morning of the shoot. This means you can stay up all night drinking, dancing and doing blow. Don't forget to treat the models poorly- you're the boss now!

Part 3- At some point, you'll start to age, and/or have your "look" go out of style. Don't fear. This is the point where you tell everyone you're tired of objectifying and feel the need to contribute to the world of art. Remember all those weird pictures? This is where they'll come in handy. Print them and have a show. Soon you'll find you're being compensated rather handsomely- even better than when you were a model- not bad for doing nothing. Here's the secret, Allisa: that nothing really is something- that something is ART.

All of us responding to your query know this story well- this is the road we followed to get where we are today. A long hard road to be sure, but one we've all followed to its glorious conclusion. We're photographers now, Alissa, photographers and artists.

When you reach the end of the the road, you'll be rich and famous, like we are. Do like we did: get a nice car, a dog who'll sit in your lap while you drive it, and a nice house in the Hollywood Hills. Treat yourself to an eight-ball now and then- You deserve it, Allisa. You're a photographer.

neil poulsen
27-Mar-2006, 09:32
Why are you asking? What do you need to know?

mark anderson
27-Mar-2006, 12:04
first you need light....

chris jordan
27-Mar-2006, 15:49
You guys all missed the point. She said she needs to "no" all about photography. This means her boyfriend is a LF photographer and she's asking for tips on how to nip the problem in the bud. I'd say use the ultimate weapon: no nookie while the camera is still around. Wouldn't work for any of us here of course, but it's worth a try...

Capocheny
27-Mar-2006, 22:16
LMBO.... this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read on this forum!

Well worth the chuckle. :)

Thanks Alissa.. and respondents!

Cheers

John Kasaian
27-Mar-2006, 23:08
alissa,

Just press the button and let Kodak do the rest. Income? What income?

Ole Tjugen
28-Mar-2006, 01:55
Alissa, you have been misinformed.

Photography is not about income. At least on this discussion forum, it's all about OUTcome.

An example:

Every couple of months someone will ask which is the sharpest 150-180mm lens for making mural-size prints from 8x10" negatives.

Someone will suggest a lens with more X'es and Z's in the name than a Japanese rotary-engine sports bike. Someone else will suggest another one. And then someone will recount his disappointment with one or both of those.

Then someone suggests that he doesn't really NEED 8x10" for that; it can be just as well done with 4x5". Which starts the discussion all over again.

When this has been going on for a week or so, the original poster pops in to mention his budget, and that he doesn't actually own a camera yet. As such...

That is the starting signal for the "bottom-feeders" (including myself), who will question the validity of the need for the ultimate sharpness, and suggest something that hasn't been made since 1960.

Which triggers the discussion again. We've had that discussion many times before, but it's just as fun every time.

So as you see, it's all about the OUTcome. And some of us don't really care all that much about that, either...

Walt Calahan
28-Mar-2006, 05:24
Thank you Ole.

Please feel free to post your comments over and over and over and over again.

Alissa

NO!

Terence Spross
28-Mar-2006, 08:07
I'd be willing to bet alissa will not post again after these responces -

If she is still reading - my suggestion: start taking photos of subjects you are interested in and pay close attention to the results: note the faults of your technique - how whould the composition differ from the symetry of a painting, critisise yourself and attempt to not make the same mistakes again, note the limitations of your camera and film (or digital camera) . Start reading some photo material. Take more pictures and try a different camera - decide based on what you taking pictures of what kind of camera equipment would get your better results. Continue with more equipment.....

Now decide if you like what you are doing. If you do --- decide what area of photgraphy you like.

Money -- depends on type of photography
examples:
people - potraints -wedding ...
commercial - photos of products....
studio specializing in art still lifes selling stock photos.....
industrial photography or scientific photography - documenting for analysis -- maybe to photgraph what can't be seen with the eye....
wildlife remote location photgraphy...

each type of photography can make a different amount of money and that also depends on where you live

Freelancer
31-Oct-2006, 16:46
I would suggest that you go to www.nyip.com. That is the, New York Institute of Photography. It is a great correspondence course. It will teach you everything you need to know about photography. If you complete the course, you Will think and shoot like a Pro.

Alan Davenport
31-Oct-2006, 17:38
fotografey iz a grate way two make munny. Lots of fotografferz make so much muney that they don't evun need food stamps eny mor.

Michael Graves
31-Oct-2006, 17:40
The best thing about taking up photography as a hobby is that, on a sunny day, if there isn't anything good to take pictures of...like an old barn or something...you can always use the lenses to burn ants.

robc
31-Oct-2006, 18:00
At this forum we all do Large Format Photography. Large Format Photography is a very contemplative passtime. So contemplative that sometimes it takes 6 months to think of an answer to a question. That means we only make two images each year with average sales being 1 image every four years. Our pensions earned from doing real jobs for the last 40 years, pay for the materials and cameras. This means that you have at least 40 years to think about it before making any final decisions on which camera to buy.

Jim Rice
31-Oct-2006, 18:50
"Wouldn't work for any of us here of course, but it's worth a try..." Because we're all used to no nookie, Chris? :D

Sheldon N
31-Oct-2006, 21:03
Wow, Alissa's post is back from the dead.

I think we're just preaching to the choir here. :)

Ralph Barker
1-Nov-2006, 08:07
Except for the cute responses, the thread would be deleted as an obvious troll. It probably doesn't warrant resurrection in the future, however. ;)