PDA

View Full Version : How to secure Sinar Norma Case for shipping

movida
16-May-2022, 10:58
Hi everyone.

I have a Sinar Norma in its case that I need to ship. It has the 2 "eyes" that you
run whatever you're using around the body and through and then use a padlock.

What do you use? I can't find anything that will fit through the eyes. I don't want
to box it up because that'll increase the shipping cost considerably.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful :)

Thanks

Jan

Daniel Unkefer
16-May-2022, 11:20
Hi everyone.

I have a Sinar Norma in its case that I need to ship. It has the 2 "eyes" that you
run whatever you're using around the body and through and then use a padlock.

What do you use? I can't find anything that will fit through the eyes. I don't want
to box it up because that'll increase the shipping cost considerably.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be eternally grateful :)

Thanks

Jan

My first Norma came in case stuffed with lots of newspaper. Pack it tightly not loosely. Recently I bought an 8x10 Norma case from a Guy in Italy. It came to me wrapped in cardboard many layers. Lots of strapping tape. Cost me a hundred Euros to ship it to me but I gladly paid it. It is in best condition I have ever seen. 8x10 case in good condition is hard to find

movida
16-May-2022, 16:19
Hi and thank you

I've got everything packed into the case securely. What I want to do is find some kind of cable that I
can wrap around the body, through the eyes attached to the case top, and secure with a padlock, both
to keep it closed during shipping and preventing anyone from opening it.

There are bicycle cables that would work but they're too thick to thread under the eyes on the top.
I'd rather send it that way than have to box it up as that would seriously increase shipping costs which
are through the roof anyway right now.

I'll attach a pic with the eyes circled as my descriptive abilities disappear at times :)

Jan227312

Daniel Unkefer
16-May-2022, 16:38
Those eyes are there to attach backpack straps, which were available separately.

Sorry can't advise you further, but if it were me, I'd box it with extra padding. Double boxing is even better.

Greg
16-May-2022, 16:45
second the "Double boxing" Worked with getting my 8x10 Norma back shipped to me from overseas.

Bob Salomon
16-May-2022, 16:56
Hi and thank you

I've got everything packed into the case securely. What I want to do is find some kind of cable that I
can wrap around the body, through the eyes attached to the case top, and secure with a padlock, both
to keep it closed during shipping and preventing anyone from opening it.

There are bicycle cables that would work but they're too thick to thread under the eyes on the top.
I'd rather send it that way than have to box it up as that would seriously increase shipping costs which
are through the roof anyway right now.

I'll attach a pic with the eyes circled as my descriptive abilities disappear at times :)

Jan227312

You can use any strap or cable but all it takes is a pair of dykes to cut it open, after they carry off the case.

movida
16-May-2022, 17:03
Well, I guess that won't work :) I'll just double box it.

But it would never, in a million years, occur to me that someone would attach backpack straps to it
and carry this loaded, heavy, rigid case on their back!

Thanks guys

Jan

David Lindquist
16-May-2022, 18:55

But it would never, in a million years, occur to me that someone would attach backpack straps to it

Thanks guys

Jan

I got a pair of those straps about 50 years ago. Put them on my Norma case and for the life of me couldn't get the thing up on my back. I think you'd need to have the case on some sort of a lift and elevate it to carrying level and then put your arms through. Then you'd need another lift at the end of your journey to get the thing off your back. I've seen a picture in some Sinar literature of a gent with the case up on his back. He was wearing a jacket and tie to boot as I remember.

I may still have the straps somewhere...

David

movida
16-May-2022, 22:10
That's really funny. He's probably not been able to stand upright since :)

Jan

Jerry Bodine
16-May-2022, 22:27
...I've seen a picture in some Sinar literature of a gent with the case up on his back. He was wearing a jacket and tie to boot as I remember.

This is the picture you're referring to. I got the case and carry straps when I bought my 5x7 Norma around '70; both are still practically new condition. I cringe every time I see this. it'd be hilarious if a current video were available showing him getting that rig on/off his back. Standing up straight like that, the case was likely empty for the photo, otherwise it would pull him over backwards (but he does have a grip on the handrail).

Willie
17-May-2022, 04:45
Stretch Wrap/shrink wrap for skid pallets works well.
Wrap it, A bit of padding where the "eyes" protrude and a few turns of strapping tape. Slap on a label and you have a package that will not open.

David Lindquist
17-May-2022, 09:28
This is the picture you're referring to. I got the case and carry straps when I bought my 5x7 Norma around '70; both are still practically new condition. I cringe every time I see this. it'd be hilarious if a current video were available showing him getting that rig on/off his back. Standing up straight like that, the case was likely empty for the photo, otherwise it would pull him over backwards (but he does have a grip on the handrail).

Yes that's the picture, no tie showing but I'm sure he's wearing one. Never thought about the case empty; that I might have managed to wrestle on to my back :)

David

Vaughn
17-May-2022, 10:24

Thanks guys

Jan

I mailed off a Graphic View II off in its very nice case -- created a cardboard box around it...lots of tape. Not a lot of added weight and it arrived safely.

We are getting to be an old crowd here! I have put cases like that on top of my backpack for overnight(s) hikes into the wilderness. (slightly lighter cameras inside, tho). But if one carries a heavy pack often, one learns the tricks. Lift the pack/case up on a rock, etc, so that one just backs into the straps...or you put your foot on a rock so that your upper leg is level, swing the pack/case onto your leg, then put on the straps. But that camera case in the photo is not one that you just throw on one's back! There is a reason I like internal frame packs!

Drew Wiley
17-May-2022, 13:25
Beware of any ad paid for by a Chiropractor seeking new business.

movida
17-May-2022, 15:28
That'll work :)

Jan

movida
17-May-2022, 15:29
I mailed off a Graphic View II off in its very nice case -- created a cardboard box around it...lots of tape. Not a lot of added weight and it arrived safely.

We are getting to be an old crowd here! I have put cases like that on top of my backpack for overnight(s) hikes into the wilderness. (slightly lighter cameras inside, tho). But if one carries a heavy pack often, one learns the tricks. Lift the pack/case up on a rock, etc, so that one just backs into the straps...or you put your foot on a rock so that your upper leg is level, swing the pack/case onto your leg, then put on the straps. But that camera case in the photo is not one that you just throw on one's back! There is a reason I like internal frame packs!

That's why God made horses :)

Jan

movida
17-May-2022, 15:30
Stretch Wrap/shrink wrap for skid pallets works well.
Wrap it, A bit of padding where the "eyes" protrude and a few turns of strapping tape. Slap on a label and you have a package that will not open.

That'll work :) Thank you

Jan

Bob Salomon
17-May-2022, 15:42
That'll work :) Thank you

Jan

Use black, opaque, wrap. Not clear wrap.

movida
18-May-2022, 14:38
Use black, opaque, wrap. Not clear wrap.

Thanks again, I will

Jan