PDA

View Full Version : Out With My 14x17 DIY Camera & XRAY Film

Andrew O'Neill
11-May-2022, 11:15
This video I made covers more than one area, so I wasn't quite sure which thread to put it in. I'm out with my 14x17, shooting XRAY film, developing it in my darkroom, and then making a Kallitype print from one of the negatives. Cheers!

https://youtu.be/2p4Y37A4Q9g

Tin Can
11-May-2022, 12:04
Wow!

Alan9940
11-May-2022, 12:52
Great video! Even though I shoot a lot of 8x10, I can't even begin to imagine dealing with this size film!

jon.oman
11-May-2022, 17:43
Very nice!

Tin Can
12-May-2022, 04:34
Andy's humble post and video shows great talent in many areas.

He made his own 14X17 and uses 14X17 X-Ray to make a wonderful image.

His talent as instructional Artist and cheerful teaching skills are World Class, nobody I have seen is better.

Andy makes huge contact prints look effortless.

Simple tools, glass pressure plate, buckets for washing.

Andy is an Actual Expert!

This video I made covers more than one area, so I wasn't quite sure which thread to put it in. I'm out with my 14x17, shooting XRAY film, developing it in my darkroom, and then making a Kallitype print from one of the negatives. Cheers!

https://youtu.be/2p4Y37A4Q9g

darr
12-May-2022, 06:24
Pretty cool Andy!!

Andrew O'Neill
12-May-2022, 06:29
Andy's humble post and video shows great talent in many areas.

He made his own 14X17 and uses 14X17 X-Ray to make a wonderful image.

His talent as instructional Artist and cheerful teaching skills are World Class, nobody I have seen is better.

Andy makes huge contact prints look effortless.

Simple tools, glass pressure plate, buckets for washing.

Andy is an Actual Expert!

This actually made me emotional. No one has ever said that to me before (okay, maybe my mum did a few times :o ) Thank you very much!

Andrew O'Neill
12-May-2022, 06:32
Great video! Even though I shoot a lot of 8x10, I can't even begin to imagine dealing with this size film!

Thank you, Alan. It is indeed a big step up from 8x10....especially in my teeny tiny darkroom! But, I've learnt how to make it work as best as I can...need a new counter though. After 20 years of abuse and spills, it's looking pretty ugly.

Andrew O'Neill
12-May-2022, 06:34
Thank you, jon.oman, and Darr!

Jim Noel
12-May-2022, 08:20
Thanks for the video. Good looking camera. I suggest you carry through with a much larger dark cloth. Mine for 7x17 is 5x8 feet. You may need one 6x8 or 7x10 for really good coverage. Another suggestion - leave the dark cloth on the camera at all times, especially when inserting the film holder through removing it.
I like your single tray method - practical and space saving.
Jim

Andrew O'Neill
12-May-2022, 10:04
Thanks for the video. Good looking camera. I suggest you carry through with a much larger dark cloth. Mine for 7x17 is 5x8 feet. You may need one 6x8 or 7x10 for really good coverage. Another suggestion - leave the dark cloth on the camera at all times, especially when inserting the film holder through removing it.
I like your single tray method - practical and space saving.
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I now have a much larger, darker, dark cloth. Normally, I leave the dark cloth on, but I wanted the viewers to see the holder going in and out. I probably should have mentioned that. Thanks for the tip! My darkroom is quite small, hence the single tray. I actually prefer working this way now, even when making smaller prints. Cheers!

sanking
12-May-2022, 11:48
Hi Andy,

I enjoyed watching your video with the 14X17" camera. Watching you place the camera on the tripod reminded me of doing the same thing with my 20X24 camera many years ago. And glad that you got a good print from the work. That large kallitype definitely looks like a keeper to me. I was always somewhat limited in darkroom space also and developed most of my vandyke and kallitype prints in a single tray.

Did you actually make the negative for the kallitype print you made from the same place as in the video? My first impression on seeing you set up the camera was that the subject seemed too far from the camera, even with a 600mm lens.

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
12-May-2022, 14:42
Hi Andy,

I enjoyed watching your video with the 14X17" camera. Watching you place the camera on the tripod reminded me of doing the same thing with my 20X24 camera many years ago. And glad that you got a good print from the work. That large kallitype definitely looks like a keeper to me. I was always somewhat limited in darkroom space also and developed most of my vandyke and kallitype prints in a single tray.

Did you actually make the negative for the kallitype print you made from the same place as in the video? My first impression on seeing you set up the camera was that the subject seemed too long from the camera, even with a 600mm lens.

Sandy

Yes, the negative was from that actual spot, from that shoot. I think having the gopro set on super wide angle distorted the distances. One negative was developed for carbon, and the other for kallitype. The 600mm lens is the longest lens I have for this format. By the way, I bought the beautiful holder from you waaaaay back in 2011. Thank you! I only have the one, sadly... having to reload in the Harrison tent gets old really quick! :D Thank you for watching and commenting, Sandy!

Vaughn
12-May-2022, 21:41
Fun video! One finds methods of working with a process to fit the size and type of space one has to work in.

Any lens longer than 600mm and you'll need longer arms!

Andrew O'Neill
13-May-2022, 06:16
Fun video! One finds methods of working with a process to fit the size and type of space one has to work in.

Any lens longer than 600mm and you'll need longer arms!

:D Yes, it's quite a trip from back of camera, to front. Then back again. Repeat.

John Layton
13-May-2022, 10:11
I was very moved by your video...and feel newly inspired!

Breathtaking image...but a detail I think worth mentioning in good company, is the importance (and challenge) of submersing/covering the image as quickly and completely as possible with the developer!

Vaughn
13-May-2022, 10:30
:D Yes, it's quite a trip from back of camera, to front. Then back again. Repeat.

I like to judge my placement of the plane of focus by watching the change in DoF on the GG as I close the aperture down -- tough to do when I use my 600mm!

Your processing practices (single tray) reduces the handling of large sheet of film and paper -- always helpful. The handling of large sheets of wet paper eventually becomes a series of natural movements -- and the heavier paper helps, too. The old Cranes Cover was a nice paper, but needed more care when wet.

Andrew O'Neill
13-May-2022, 16:32
I was very moved by your video...and feel newly inspired!

Breathtaking image...but a detail I think worth mentioning in good company, is the importance (and challenge) of submersing/covering the image as quickly and completely as possible with the developer!

Yup. I was using a tray that was a tad too small. The method that I used in the video to submerge the print quickly and evenly, is one that I have used for many years. I'll be using my usual "larger" tray from now on. Thanks!

Pali K
13-May-2022, 19:36
That is impressive - loved the final print! Makes me want to get my DIY camera out myself.

Roger Thoms
13-May-2022, 20:03
That is impressive - loved the final print! Makes me want to get my DIY camera out myself.

Is that it in your avatar. I seem to recall an 11x14 build awhile back.

Roger

Pali K
14-May-2022, 07:23
Yes, that’s it! I built it a few years back.

Pali

John Layton
14-May-2022, 08:17
My three 11x14 film cassettes are still in mint/like new condition, but my (DIY plywood) 11x14 camera has been so trashed and cannibellized:confused: (jeesh...cannot spell that word!) over the years, and the old salvaged De Golden Busch bellows has endured so many episodes of mold growth/re-cleaning over the years during various periods of inappropriate storage - that its time to build another one. (but do I have it in me....another camera build?)

But why, oh why, do we (I know I'm not alone in this) seem to want bigger and heavier cameras as we get less and less able to even hoist them up onto our tripods...much less carry them around!

Edit - Cannibalized (there, I looked it up! :rolleyes:)

Pali K
14-May-2022, 09:32
You have it in you John!!!! :)

Jim Fitzgerald
15-May-2022, 09:39
Andrew, nice job on the videos. I'm glad you show what can be done in a small space. So many photographers say I can't do it because I don't have the room. For years I developed 14x17 in a small bathroom. Keep the videos coming. Nice to throw in some humor too.

Andrew O'Neill
15-May-2022, 10:58
Andrew, nice job on the videos. I'm glad you show what can be done in a small space. So many photographers say I can't do it because I don't have the room. For years I developed 14x17 in a small bathroom. Keep the videos coming. Nice to throw in some humor too.

Thanks, Jim. Appreciate it! I learnt how to work in a small space all the years I spent in Japan. One tray is all one needs... It's starting to get banged up. Need to source a replacement. Any advice?

Ray Van Nes
15-May-2022, 12:40
Very impressive. Congratulations on the camera.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-May-2022, 08:39
Thanks, Jim. Appreciate it! I learnt how to work in a small space all the years I spent in Japan. One tray is all one needs... It's starting to get banged up. Need to source a replacement. Any advice?

If it's one tray the a Cesco Lite is the way to go. It is the one I use. Not cheap but does the job especially with X-ray film.

Andrew O'Neill
16-May-2022, 09:08
If it's one tray the a Cesco Lite is the way to go. It is the one I use. Not cheap but does the job especially with X-ray film.

Thanks, Jim. I'll look them up.

Ashishwakhlu
16-May-2022, 22:10
Hi Andrew

Fantastic Video, I also shoot 8X10 X ray Film and would like to step up, I will build my own camera, just one question, what lens di you use on the camera, thanks

Ashish

Andrew O'Neill
17-May-2022, 09:51
Hi Andrew

Fantastic Video, I also shoot 8X10 X ray Film and would like to step up, I will build my own camera, just one question, what lens di you use on the camera, thanks

Ashish

Thanks, Ashishwakhlu! That was the Fujinon C 600. Wonderful lens. I also use a Nikkor M 450, 355 G-Claron for some wideness...

pound
19-May-2022, 20:03
great video and the love how the final print looks. Subscribed and look forward to more videos.

Andrew O'Neill
19-May-2022, 21:21
great video and the love how the final print looks. Subscribed and look forward to more videos.

Thank you! And many thanks for subscribing! I'm also a subscriber of your channel...

Michael Roberts
25-May-2022, 19:53

What pound said! Ditto!

Andrew O'Neill
26-May-2022, 19:43
Thank you, Michael!

Tin Can
27-May-2022, 04:53
Looks like a ULF revival is here and there...

I WAS considering a 1/2 round double sheet 14X36" making a it 14X72" of film

'...but a man has to know his limitations'...to quote Clint

Andrew O'Neill
2-Jun-2022, 18:44
I made a carbon transfer print from the same negative used in this video... of course, I made a video of it! :D It's very short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmcpxtVD4U

John Layton
3-Jun-2022, 08:12
Wonderful!

Thank you...I find this very inspiring!

I spent some time in the presence of Jim Fitzgerald and his work a few years back - and now that I've also seen your "short and sweet" video, I vow to soon get off my butt and try this!

My thoughts are to make enlarged negatives, as I had way back when for platinum/palladium/albumen printing. At that time I'd used Kodak copy film for that purpose (a wonderful product)...but as its no longer available, I'd likely be using Bergger's new(ish) copy film. Have you (or anyone else reading this) had a chance to try this film?

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2022, 08:36
Wonderful!

I spent some time in the presence of Jim Fitzgerald and his work a few years back - and now that I've also seen your "short and sweet" video, I vow to soon get off my butt and try this!

My thoughts are to make enlarged negatives, as I had way back when for platinum/palladium/albumen printing. At that time I'd used Kodak copy film for that purpose (a wonderful product)...but as its no longer available, I'd likely be using Bergger's new(ish) copy film. Have you (or anyone else reading this) had a chance to try this film?

Hi John, I have never used Bergger's copy film. I've only ever used APHS, but that wasn't really a copy film. I have to make an inter-positive first. Thanks for watching the video! I've been making carbon prints for about 14 years. It's been a journey!

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2022, 08:37
Wonderful!

Hi John, I have never used Bergger's copy film. I've only ever used APHS, but that wasn't really a copy film. I have to make an inter-positive first. Thanks for watching the video! I've been making carbon prints for about 14 years. It's been a journey!

Roger Thoms
3-Jun-2022, 08:55
Hey Andrew, another very enjoyable video, very nice warm tones on the Carbon print, would love to see the print in person.

Roger

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2022, 09:47
Hey Andrew, another very enjoyable video, very nice warm tones on the Carbon print, would love to see the print in person.

Roger

Thank you, Roger. The print is quite nice. Better than I expected, actually. I thought for sure I would have to do a considerable amount of tweaking with the sensitiser, but nailed it first time round. I did make an extra tissue... now I'll have to photograph something else, I guess! :D

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2022, 13:44
Sorry, I posted last message twice for some strange reason...

tgtaylor
3-Jun-2022, 15:51
The Kallitype process is capable of producing whites as white as the paper will allow. See the whites on the 2 Kallitypes I printed last month: https://www.spiritsofsilver.com/galleries/historical_process_page_2#Previous The muddy whites in your Kallitype is probably the result of overexposure during printing - at least that has been my experience. Note also the tiny flecks of whites in the cordgrass of the 3d print which had a reddish/brown color when I shot the negative. Overexposure here would have eliminated those specks which are seeds or something. The problem with that print is the sky which toned to a beautiful slate grey down to the mountain ridge but my scanning ability needs improving.

Thomas

Andrew O'Neill
3-Jun-2022, 17:55
The Kallitype process is capable of producing whites as white as the paper will allow. See the whites on the 2 Kallitypes I printed last month: https://www.spiritsofsilver.com/galleries/historical_process_page_2#Previous The muddy whites in your Kallitype is probably the result of overexposure during printing - at least that has been my experience. Note also the tiny flecks of whites in the cordgrass of the 3d print which had a reddish/brown color when I shot the negative. Overexposure here would have eliminated those specks which are seeds or something. The problem with that print is the sky which toned to a beautiful slate grey down to the mountain ridge but my scanning ability needs improving.

Thomas

Begging your pardon but the whites are NOT muddy. They are white. White where they should be white. I do know how to print. I've been printing for over 30 years, and white whites are important to me, just as luminous shadows are. A muddy print would never leave my darkroom. If you are ever in the area, I'd be happy to show you the print.

sanking
4-Jun-2022, 09:41
I made a carbon transfer print from the same negative used in this video... of course, I made a video of it! :D It's very short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmcpxtVD4U

Hi Andrew,

Looks like a very nice carbon print. And you make the process look so easy a lot of viewers are thinking it must be a piece of cake. And darn, with carbon looks like you can make prints any color you like!!

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
16-Jul-2022, 17:56
Thank you Sandy! And thank you for all your help over the years!