PDA

View Full Version : Which diameter filter

Fermat
4-May-2022, 14:48
Hi all,
Having lenses with front screw diameter for filter 82mm, 72mm, 67mm and 52mm, i would like to buy 3 filters yellow, orange and red to cover all the lenses with rings Adaptor.

What do you suggest as a diameter for filter? 86 or 82mm?

Thanks
Mario

Mario

rfesk
4-May-2022, 16:33
All of my filters are 67mm and I use adapters for some of my lenses as you suggest.

Therefore I would use 82mm filters if possible - provided adapters are available.

Conrad . Marvin
4-May-2022, 16:48
If 82 mm is a wide angle lens and you need all of the lens coverage, then get 82 mm thin filters. If you don’t need all of the image circle then rethink your needs.

Fermat
5-May-2022, 00:23
If 82 mm is a wide angle lens and you need all of the lens coverage, then get 82 mm thin filters. If you don’t need all of the image circle then rethink your needs.Yes 82mm is a WA.
What do you mean with rethinking my needs?
Thanks

Mario

xkaes
5-May-2022, 05:46
Since your widest lens has 82mm threads, if you want filters for all of your lenses, then they probably need to be 82mm.

However, that is pretty expensive.

If cost is not a problem, then use 82mm.

Tell us exactly what lens has 82mm threads. Sometimes, the threads are wider than what you will need, and it might be possible to use a step-down ring to a small thread. That will save you a lot of money. I have a very-wide-angle lens with 82mm threads, but I can use 77mm filters on it without a problem.

Fermat
5-May-2022, 05:57
Since your widest lens has 82mm threads, if you want filters for all of your lenses, then they probably need to be 82mm.

However, that is pretty expensive.

If cost is not a problem, then use 82mm.

Tell us exactly what lens has 82mm threads. Sometimes, the threads are wider than what you will need, and it might be possible to use a step-down ring to a small thread. That will save you a lot of money. I have a very-wide-angle lens with 82mm threads, but I can use 77mm filters on it without a problem.Rodenstock grandagon-n 90mm f4.5

Mario

xkaes
5-May-2022, 07:18
If you are shooting 4x5", you won't have a problem using 77mm filters on this lens -- which are much less expensive, and in a wider selection.

You will need to get step-up rings to 77mm for your other lenses.

Bernice Loui
5-May-2022, 09:35
High quality filters are a long term investment that can last and be used for decades. With this in mind, 82mm high quality filters are preferred (penny wise_pound foolish). They can be obtained new or good used. Minor surface defects are not going to make that much if any difference in the image quality recorded on film.

Anti-reflection coatings on the filter surfaces can and do reduce light flare impacting image contrast. The other image quality aid is using a GOOD lens shade, ideally a proper adjustable compendium lens shade. If presses, shading the lens/filter with the dark slide can do ok enough.

Alternative to 82mm filters with step down rings to fit other lenses in the set, 100mm or 4" square filters with the appropriate filter holder works very good too. Exampled in post# 92 of this previous discussion.
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?168378-Schneider-itis-The-Perennial-Problem/page10

Bernice

Rodenstock grandagon-n 90mm f4.5

Mario

Bob Salomon
5-May-2022, 09:37

Mario

With a center filter?

Fermat
5-May-2022, 09:45
With a center filter?No

Mario

Drew Wiley
5-May-2022, 09:49
It's awfully cumbersome to work with just the biggest size filter for everything. I personally have round glass filter sets in all the sizes you list because I never carry all my lenses at the same time, and lighter weight and portability is often a priority. You might want to think of two sets : 82mm with a 72mm step ring, and 67mm with a 52mm step ring. If only three filters are involved, it's not going to be terribly expensive to get a smaller second set, plus you'd have a spare if something gets damaged - and sooner or later they will.

Conrad . Marvin
5-May-2022, 11:22

MarioHi Mario, I own this lens as well and I use it on 5x7 mostly and think that it is excellent although it is very heavy. That being said, if you are using this lens on 4x5 and don’t need the image circle that it has, there are many other excellent lenses in this focal length with smaller front elements that might fit with your other lenses a little more easily and save I bit of cash for big filters
as well as space and weight. That’s all that I ment by “rethink your needs”.
Conrad

Serge S
5-May-2022, 11:39
Same here - have two sets: 49mm & 67mm
Don't always need both sizes depending on what I plan to bring along.

It's awfully cumbersome to work with just the biggest size filter for everything. I personally have round glass filter sets in all the sizes you list because I never carry all my lenses at the same time, and lighter weight and portability is often a priority. You might want to think of two sets : 82mm with a 72mm step ring, and 67mm with a 52mm step ring. If only three filters are involved, it's not going to be terribly expensive to get a smaller second set, plus you'd have a spare if something gets damaged - and sooner or later they will.

Alan Klein
5-May-2022, 17:12
I have great filter set for my Mamiya RB67 mediu format camera. All their lenses take the same 77mm filter. When I bought a 4x5, I got step up adapters to 77mm and use the MF filters with the 4x5 lenses, except for my 90mm f4.5 which requires a 105mm over the center filter. I just havenl;t done anything with that one and will shoot with a 75mm lens if I need a filter.

So to answer your question, use 82mm with step up adapters. I don;t see the point of using an 86mm. The step-down adapter might actually vignette more as the adapter has depth too.

xkaes
5-May-2022, 18:07
I have great filter set for my Mamiya RB67 mediu format camera. All their lenses take the same 77mm filter. When I bought a 4x5, I got step up adapters to 77mm and use the MF filters with the 4x5 lenses, except for my 90mm f4.5 which requires a 105mm over the center filter. I just havenl;t done anything with that one and will shoot with a 75mm lens if I need a filter.

So to answer your question, use 82mm with step up adapters. I don;t see the point of using an 86mm. The step-down adapter might actually vignette more as the adapter has depth too.

I've been down the same path, and standardized on 77mm filters thanks to my RB67. I now use 77mm on all my 4x5 lenses -- the smallest has a 49mm-to-77mm step-up ring. No sense in my mind in having another complete set of smaller filters -- I already have enough bills to pay.

And I have a very wide lens with an 82mm filter thread, but there is no vignetting with a 82-77mm step-down ring.

And I agree with the earlier comment, that if the OP is using 4x5, the 90mm 4.5 might be WAY too much. Trade it in for a more suitable 90mm, and use the proceeds to buy a good set of 77mm filters -- and take us out for lunch.

Alan Klein
5-May-2022, 18:45
Same here - have two sets: 49mm & 67mm
Don't always need both sizes depending on what I plan to bring along.

I could see myself messing up the sets and having the wrong size filters for the lens I brought. I leave the step-up filter on each lens ready for the same sized filter. Why complicate things?

Corran
6-May-2022, 04:29
Step-up to 95mm and standardize to that. Future-proof! ;)

This is more of a personal decision. Also decent filters at typical sizes are available used cheap. Recently I purchased a 95mm R25 multicoated filter by Pentax for $10. New would 10x.

xkaes
6-May-2022, 05:30
Good luck finding filters over 77mm at a decent price. 77mm? E Z

r.e.
6-May-2022, 05:41
Hi Mario,

In your place, I would be considering the Lee100 System (https://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system) (or similar from another manufacturer) as well as the option of choosing a filter size that can be used with current and possible future lenses. The Lee System will cover all filter needs up to 100mm. I would also be thinking about whether I might want to use additional kinds of filters in the future, in particular a polariser, neutral density filters or a centre filter.

If I recall, you use your camera in part for urban photography. If there was a chance that I might want to acquire a lens or lenses wider than your Rodenstock 90mm f/4.5, such as Rodenstock's 75mm f/4.5 or 55mm f/4.5, I'd also be taking that into account. Those two lenses, and Rodenstock's 90mm f/6.8, all take 67mm filters. They also all take a centre filter with an 86mm outer diameter. Your 90mm f/4.5, in addition to taking larger 82mm filters, requires a centre filter that takes 112mm filters. That centre filter has practical ramifications, starting with the availability and cost of 112mm filters.

If you decide to consider the Lee100 System, look at European rather than North American suppliers. Lee filter holders and filters are quite a bit less expensive in Europe.

Drew Wiley
6-May-2022, 08:59
Different strategies. Out in the weather, coated glass filters have a big advantage over more fragile and electrostatic plastic ones or gels. And as far as standardizing on something huge like a 95? ... well, you could probably buy a whole stack of 67mm's for the price of just one of those new! But with luck and patience, deals can be found.

xkaes
6-May-2022, 09:40
And as far as standardizing on something huge like a 95? ... well, you could probably buy a whole stack of 67mm's for the price of just one of those new! But with luck and patience, deals can be found.

I agree. You might as well look for a needle in a haystack. It's in there!

rfesk
6-May-2022, 10:25
Since I use 67 mm filters (with adapters as necessary) for large format, I keep the set in a filter wallet. Very handy.
In fact, my occasionally used Kodak Wide Field 135mm and 203 Ektar lenses both have adapters in place.

If I change out the lenses I happen to be carrying for the day I don't have to be concerned with filter sizes.

Corran
6-May-2022, 10:33
I don't know, I have a variety of 95mm filters, all found for $10-$20 on eBay. YMMV. 95mm is a pretty standard size for big telephotos on 35mm and 120.

Drew Wiley
6-May-2022, 10:42
That must be one helluva a telephoto. My 300's for the Pentax 6X7 need only 82mm; and that's a setup that needs even more solid support than my 8x10. Longer than that, and P67 "cannon barrel" tele lenses are either engineered for rear filters or have built-in ones on a rotating disc.

The big filter liquidator across town here (filterfind.net), not far from the shoreline where I plan to do a little rainy day shooting as the storms arrives this afternoon, doesn't have a single glass 95mm b&w contrast filter left in stock, just color photog ones. But he does have an awful lot of square filters and adapters appropriate to b&w photography at very reasonable pricing.

My own strategy to not only to have multiple sets in respective sizes (plus step rings) is not only related to lighter, less bulky carrying convenience, but also allows me to have different equipment kits already set up to go, appropriate to format. Saves me time out the door, not to mention reducing risk of forgetting something. I did the same thing with remodeling gear when traveling back and forth across the state - different kits for different projects, each fully equipped. Simply didn't have time to sort out a bunch of stuff each time. And I've been kinda absent-minded my whole life, so there's that too ...

abruzzi
6-May-2022, 10:57
There is the early P67 55/3.5 which takes a very rare 100mm front filter (not sure it that one has a clip for rear filters.). The later 55’s are much more reasonable.

Drew Wiley
6-May-2022, 11:05
The later 55's took 77mm as I recall. I sold my 55/4 - it had a lot of illumination falloff, and now prefer the 75/4.5 as my only wide for the system - which is also nice because it shares the same 82mm filter thread as my 300EDIF; and I often carry them together.

Corran
6-May-2022, 11:41
The early 55 does take 95mm. As do the 55-100mm and 90-180mm zoom lenses. Oh and the 500mm f/5.6 tele. I own and use all of these.

Drew Wiley
6-May-2022, 12:04
Wow. That's quite a collection. I used the P67 system only briefly a couple or years in my late 20's, then loaned it all to my brother until his death. He had an eyesight problem due to a heart condition, and found the Pentax more compatible in that respect than his Rollei 6X6 SLR's. Then I used only LF gear exclusively until I was around 55. Now I'm multi-format; but other than my original 105/2.4 lens, all my P67 lenses are of more recent derivation. Sometimes just for wildlife fun, I use a Nikon adapter on my 300EDIF to give it a super-tele application. But I rarely print anything 35mm, so the Nikon adapter only gets sporadic use. I keep parallel P67 kits with the older 300 Takumar and beater lenses available for road travel if I intend to leave the system behind in the truck while out backpacking with LF gear instead. That way it won't seem like the world ending if someone breaks in and gets to it. Cheap to replace. But it's been so darn windy around here for months on end, that finding good days for LF shooting has been less frequent than normal - the whole climate seems screwed up.

Bernice Loui
6-May-2022, 12:13
Filter choice is much identical to camera, lens, tripod and all that "Gear".. there is only what is better suited or the better tool for a given need.

The 100mm aka 4" square about 2mm thick filter system has been around for decades via Hi-Tech, Sinar and many others. Today there are Lee, Haida, Nisi, Tiffen, Schneider and a very long list of 100mm square filter system suppliers. Been using 100mm square filters since the 80's with nil-issues. Back then they were most common in plastic, they hold up surprisingly good. All the Color Correction Color temperature conversion, Warming and such for film are in this system as they can be fitted to the majority of lenses used. 100mm square filters also fit the Sinar shutter's built in filter holder. This is the primary filter system.

The 100mm square filter holders are often integrated to used with a compendium lens shade, not different than "mat boxes" extremely common with the cinema and serious video folks. They have the identical filter and stay light challenges as still image folks.

Series IV Tiffen filters are the next set which is often used for 82mm to 67mm including Hasselblad B70, B60 and B50 (Hasselblad long gone, still have the adapters) as adapters are easy to procure and were made for decades. These are primarily B&W contrast filters, polarizer and ND.

58mm thread on set is used for small 35mm and digital lenses as needed and for portability. Easy enough to fit a series IV or 100mm square adapter to a 58mm and smaller lens, portability and ease of use suffers. These are near identical to the series IV set. primarily B&W contrast filters, polarizer and ND.

Step up & Step down rings for series IV and 58mm threaded allows mix and match as needed.

All above can be adapted to a Sinar filter holder allowing filters to be used across lens-camera systems. Again, Sinar shutter has a built in holder for 100mm square filters add to filter versatility and adaptability.

The "big" small format and digital lenses (Canon) have drop in filter holders that use industry standard 52mm threaded or smaller. Canon big "white" telephotos have built in front lens protectors and they are designed in to their optical system to optimize overall optical performance.

It all comes down to what specific filters are needed, how they are to be used, what lens they are to be fitted to and again, what the image goals are.

Bernice

xkaes
6-May-2022, 12:13
I don't know, I have a variety of 95mm filters, all found for $10-$20 on eBay. YMMV. 95mm is a pretty standard size for big telephotos on 35mm and 120.

There are lots of 95mm UV/Protective filters for under $25, but for typical large format filters, like O2, K2, 25A, you are lucky if you find one for $75. On the other hand, in 77mm they are easy to find well under $25.

Bernice Loui
6-May-2022, 12:17
There was a time years ago when B&W contrast filters in ALL sizes were vast bargains... not any more. Those days have passed.
That was a time when 103mm Sinar B&W contrast filter set with polarizer and holder could be had for less than $100 USD, B&W contrast filters made by B+W, Heilopan, and similar up to 105mm was easy for well under $50.

Add to this, with the demise of film, 100mm square filters (Hi-Tech, Sinar, what became Lee) where being closed out at about $1 per filter... There was a VAST inventory of them, little if any demand for them at that time.

Not any more, change is a given, change is constant.
Bernice

There are lots of 95mm UV/Protective filters for under $25, but for typical large format filters, like O2, K2, 25A, you are lucky if you find one for $75. On the other hand, in 77mm they are easy to find well under $25.

r.e.
6-May-2022, 12:37
Just want to express thanks to Bernice for the overviews in her posts #29 and #31.

Bob Salomon might know better, but I suspect that the market for square and rectangular filters has grown significantly with the huge increase in the number of people shooting video. I'm talking about increased demand for neutral density filters and polarisers in particular, as well as specialty diffusion filters. A search for "matte box" on YouTube turns up hundreds of videos.

When it comes to 100㎟ filters, I'm most familiar with Lee filters, but there are a number of competitors. This filter size is available in both synthetics and glass, depending on manufacturer. Lee also makes a lens shade for its Lee100 System. It is not inexpensive, but works very well. As I mentioned earlier, Lee prices in Europe, where Mario is, are noticeably lower than in North America. There's also a Lee push-on holder, useful for large format lenses, that is available in Europe but as far as I can tell not in North America.

Corran
6-May-2022, 14:07

Like I said, I just bought a 95mm R25 filter for $10 last week (high-quality Pentax brand). Deals are available.

67mm and 77mm are certainly more common, yes.

Alan Klein
7-May-2022, 03:26
Anyone heard of or use Ice filters? WHich adapter for 105mm center filter lens.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454671-REG/ice_ice_gnd4_150_150x190mm_6x7_48_grad_nd4_filter.html/overview

r.e.
7-May-2022, 09:44
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454671-REG/ice_ice_gnd4_150_150x190mm_6x7_48_grad_nd4_filter.html/overview

Lee Filters makes a 105mm adapter ring for its Lee100/Lee150 Systems. See screen capture. Some of its competitors also make a 105mm adapter. As far as I know, that's the largest adapter size available for holders for 100mm/150mm size filters. Filter Dude (https://www.thefilterdude.com) in Pennsylvania sells copies of Lee adapter rings at a lower price than Lee, including a 105mm.

I don't know anything about ICE filters, except that they're a house brand for a company called Desmond Photographic in Oregon. Maybe have a look at the Desmond Photographic (https://desphotodist.com) website. It's a distributor for a number of brands, including filter makers Haida, Kase and Lūzid.

Lee Standard & Wide Angle Adapter Rings

Filter Dude 105mm Adapter Ring

Alan Klein
7-May-2022, 12:11
Lee Filters makes a 105mm adapter ring for its Lee100 System. See screen capture. Some of its competitors also make a 105mm adapter. As far as I know, that's the largest adapter size available for holders for 100mm size filters. Filter Dude (https://www.thefilterdude.com) in Pennsylvania sells copies of Lee adapter rings at a lower price than Lee, including a 105mm.

I don't know anything about ICE filters, except that they're a house brand for a company called Desmond Photographic in Oregon. Maybe have a look at the Desmond Photographic (https://desphotodist.com) website. It's a distributor for a number of brands, including filter makers Haida, Kase and Lūzid.

Lee Standard & Wide Angle Adapter Rings

Filter Dude 105mm Adapter Ring for Lee100 Filter Holder

But won't the 100mm filters vignette?

Bernice Loui
7-May-2022, 12:16
ICE is one of a large number of current filter brands selling-marketing filters made under contract-agreement. LOTs of filter brands today doing similar, this illustrates to some degree the market size and demand for image making filters.

Most common filter types today are UV or lens protector, Polarizer, Neutral Density followed by "effects" filters. Much of the filter market is in cinema and video production.

Graduated neutral density or colored filters are often used to alter the image density (light intensity) of a specific area of the image. These filters are in the category of effects filters. They are not the same as "center filters" specifically designed to compensate for light fall off of "Biogon_ish" wide angle lens designs. Graduated density filters are usually rectangular, go into a filter holder that allows the filter to be moved up-down and rotated as needed to achieve the image effect.

Bernice

r.e.
7-May-2022, 13:08
But won't the 100mm filters vignette?

The alternative is a Lee150 holder, which is for 150mm square/rectangular filters, or an equivalent holder and adapter ring from another manufacturer. I've amended my post #35 to reflect this.

However, 150mm filters are quite a bit more expensive than 100mm filters. I would want to try a 100mm filter with the specific lens to see whether there's vignetting and, if so, by how much. Lee and others are presumably selling this size adapter ring for use with 100mm filters because it works in some cases. I have a Fujinon ciné lens that is rated for 82mm filters but works without vignetting with 82mm and 77mm filters.

Your lens presumably requires either 86mm or 95mm for a filter, including your centre filter, mounted directly to the lens. The centre filter's 105mm outside thread might provide some latitude. How much might depend in part on how wide your lens is. Note that Lee says that its "standard" adapter rings, as distinct from its "wide angle adapter rings", are for lenses that are 24-28mm and up in 35mm terms.

Filter size, it appears, is not solely about optical requirements. I think that the reason that my Fujinon lens is threaded for 82mm filters, even though it will work with a step-down ring and 77mm filters, is that 82mm is pretty much the standard ciné lens size for circular filters. Filmmakers are set up for 82mm, not 77mm. It's possible that your centre filter is threaded for 105mm, not because 105mm is absolutely required, but because standard filter sizes run 86mm, 95mm, 105mm. I assume that your lens, without a centre filter mounted, takes either 86mm or 95mm. Next stop after those is 105mm.

Alan Klein
8-May-2022, 07:12
The alternative is a Lee150 holder, which is for 150mm square/rectangular filters, or an equivalent holder and adapter ring from another manufacturer. I've amended my post #35 to reflect this.

However, 150mm filters are quite a bit more expensive than 100mm filters. I would want to try a 100mm filter with the specific lens to see whether there's vignetting and, if so, by how much. Lee and others are presumably selling this size adapter ring for use with 100mm filters because it works in some cases. I have a Fujinon ciné lens that is rated for 82mm filters but works without vignetting with 82mm and 77mm filters.

Your lens presumably requires either 86mm or 95mm for a filter, including your centre filter, mounted directly to the lens. The centre filter's 105mm outside thread might provide some latitude. How much might depend in part on how wide your lens is. Note that Lee says that its "standard" adapter rings, as distinct from its "wide angle adapter rings", are for lenses that are 24-28mm and up in 35mm terms.

Filter size, it appears, is not solely about optical requirements. I think that the reason that my Fujinon lens is threaded for 82mm filters, even though it will work with a step-down ring and 77mm filters, is that 82mm is pretty much the standard ciné lens size for circular filters. Filmmakers are set up for 82mm, not 77mm. It's possible that your centre filter is threaded for 105mm, not because 105mm is absolutely required, but because standard filter sizes run 86mm, 95mm, 105mm. I assume that your lens, without a centre filter mounted, takes either 86mm or 95mm. Next stop after those is 105mm.

Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.

Bob Salomon
8-May-2022, 07:35
Thanks for the info. The attached pictures shows the arrangement for my Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 used for 4x5 camera. So it appears I need a 150mm adj ND adapter and filter. I would use contrast filters in the larger size too as well as polarizer. I also use a 75mm lens currently without a center filter that allows me to add the 77mm contrast and adj ND filters I have with an adapter. So the question is I may have an overkill situation. If I need a filter, I use the 75mm but currently have no center filter. If I don;t need a filter, than I could use the 90mm with center filter that I have.

Since you are using a wa lens be aware, that you will get streaking in the skies with a polarizer and a wa lens.

r.e.
8-May-2022, 07:48

I'd think twice about buying a Lee holder and filters for a single lens.

I also think you'll find it no more expensive, and probably less expensive, to purchase 105mm round filters second hand than to invest in a filter holder and square/rectangular filters, and that you'll also find round filters more convenient if they're what you use except in this one instance. The caveat is that you have to go the rectangular route if you want to use graduated neutral density filters.

I would definitely try a 100mm filter holder and filters before I'd go to 150mm. A 150mm holder and filters are going to cost you more, indeed quite a bit more, than buying 105mm filters second hand.

You could also have used a Rodenstock 82mm centre filter with your 90mm lens. The Rodenstock's outside thread is 112mm, which just underscores the fact that you can wind up with an outside filter size that is larger than your lens necessarily needs.

I would not assume that a lens that takes 82mm filters actually requires, when a centre filter is used, 105mm filters to prevent vignetting, and that a 100mm square filter won't work.

Alan Klein
8-May-2022, 08:06
Since you are using a wa lens be aware, that you will get streaking in the skies with a polarizer and a wa lens.

Yes I:m aware of the sky issue. But a polarizer also removes reflections and darkens green grass and leaves.

Alan Klein
8-May-2022, 08:08
I'd think twice about buying a Lee holder and filters for a single lens.

I also think you'll find it no more expensive, and probably less expensive, to purchase 105mm round filters second hand than to invest in a filter holder and square/rectangular filters, and that you'll also find round filters more convenient, especially if you use them except in this one instance. The caveat is that you have to go the rectangular route if you want to use graduated neutral density filters.

I would definitely try a 100mm filter holder and filters before I'd go to 150mm. A 150mm holder and filters are going to cost you more, indeed quite a bit more, than buying 105mm filters second hand.

You could also have used a Rodenstock 82mm centre filter with your 90mm lens. The Rodenstock's outside thread is 112mm, which just underscores the fact that you can wind up with an outside filter size that is larger than your lens necessarily needs.

I would not assume that a lens that takes 82mm filters actually requires, when a centre filter is used, 105mm filters to prevent vignetting, and that a 100mm square filter won't work.
Good points especially your last one, bolded. The problem is how to verify it.

r.e.
8-May-2022, 08:30
Good points especially your last one, bolded. The problem is how to verify it.

You live near New York City. Sounds like time to take your camera for a visit to B&H or Adorama. In addition to new product, their Used Departments may have all or most of the components, by Lee or your preferred competitor, needed to test. Alternatively, both stores have 30 day, no questions asked, return policies. If you ultimately decide to buy into the Lee System, note the reference to Filter Dude adapter rings in post #35.

r.e.
8-May-2022, 08:56
Alan, an additional comment on Lee adapter rings...

The U.S. price for a Lee 105mm adapter ring is a staggering $143. Filter Dude's 105mm ring is $25, and his copies (Lee does not have a patent on these) aren't junk. Also, note that Lee's rings are described on sites like B&H as being for the "Foundation" system, which has been discontinued. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed. As Lee's US office has confirmed to me, these are the right adapter rings for the newer Lee100 System. There has been no change to the adapter ring design.

Send me a personal message if you want the names of a couple of good European dealers in Lee products for price comparison purposes.

Bob Salomon
8-May-2022, 09:56
Alan, an additional comment on Lee adapter rings...

The U.S. price for a Lee 105mm adapter ring is a staggering $143. Filter Dude's 105mm ring is $25, and his copies (Lee does not have a patent on these) aren't junk. Also, note that Lee's rings are described on sites like B&H as being for the "Foundation" system, which has been discontinued. I don't know why this hasn't been fixed. As Lee's US office has confirmed to me, these are the right adapter rings for the newer Lee100 System. There has been no change to the adapter ring design.

Send me a personal message if you want the names of a couple of good European dealers in Lee products for price comparison purposes.

So, if you aren’t going to support them, why do you bother the U.S. office with your questions? That just helps to build up their costs!

r.e.
8-May-2022, 10:15
So, if you aren’t going to support them, why do you bother the U.S. office with your questions? That just helps to build up their costs!

Lee is a UK company. I regularly spend time in the UK, indeed on the Isle of Wight which is a short distance from Lee's headquarters, and in the US, and have bought Lee products in both countries. A support query automatically goes to support staff in whichever country one is in at the time of the request. It has nothing to do with where the product was purchased. If I'm in the US and I have a question about a Lee product that I bought in the UK, it is not even possible to contact UK support via e-mail. The e-mail is automatically routed to Los Angeles. And vice versa. Your problem is what, exactly?

Bob Salomon
8-May-2022, 11:34
Lee is a UK company. I regularly spend time in the UK, indeed on the Isle of Wight which is a short distance from Lee's headquarters, and in the US, and have bought Lee products in both countries. A support query automatically goes to support staff in whichever country one is in at the time of the request. It has nothing to do with where the product was purchased. If I'm in the US and I have a question about a Lee product that I bought in the UK, it is not even possible to contact UK support via e-mail. The e-mail is automatically routed to Los Angeles. And vice versa. Your problem is what, exactly?

Lee has a US office. They pay salary, rent, utilities, advertising, marketing, they inventory product, they support their local economy. So you blithely utilize their services and send U.s. customers to foreign dealers.
I hope you are not one of those that bemoan the lack of U.S. photo dealers.

Doremus Scudder
8-May-2022, 11:40
Your problem is what, exactly?[/I]

Bob seems to be upset that you bothered Lee for information while buying from and/or recommending Filter Dude's cheaper alternatives.

He doesn't seem to realize that it's not the consumers duty to keep companies in business, rather the businesses' duty to compete on the market for consumers. To do this, they have to be competitive in quality, price and supply. Informing customers about your products is called advertising. Customer service and inquiries about products fall into a similar category.

No one should expect a customer to buy a product that they simply inquired about...

Doremus

Bernice Loui
8-May-2022, 12:00
If a graduated neutral density filter is needed in conjunction with the light fall-off correction filter (center filter) DO consider and try using a 100mm sheet filter system first. It will likely work fine with this set up. Know going to the next sheet filter size up will inflict serious cost adders (easily double for the filter bits involved) to the entire filter system from holder to filters. Next industry standard sheet filter size up will be 125mm (not as common today) then 150mm which is $$$$_!_ for high quality filters.

Other considerations is size, bulk, weight and all that. Knowing you're using Chamonix light weight field folder, this set up with the 90mm f4.5 plus center filter plus filter holder for graduated neutral density filter is approaching the mass/weight of the Chamonix camera bare.

It is much about balancing need -vs- what is possible with the "gear" and work with it to achieve your image goals.

Bernice

xkaes
8-May-2022, 12:04
Other considerations is size, bulk, weight and all that. Knowing you're using Chamonix light weight field folder, this set up with the 90mm f4.5 plus center filter plus filter holder for graduated neutral density filter is approaching the mass/weight of the Chamonix camera bare.

Bernice

We certainly have come a long way from Mario's original question:

Thanks
Mario

r.e.
8-May-2022, 12:05
Lee has a US office. They pay salary, rent, utilities, advertising, marketing, they inventory product, they support their local economy. So you blithely utilize their services and send U.s. customers to foreign dealers.
I hope you are not one of those that bemoan the lack of U.S. photo dealers.

Bob, I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I'm also not going to sit silent while you misrepresent what I said. Post #47 on my own purchases of Lee products, and how it handles support queries regardless of where the product was purchased, is crystal clear.

Now you've added the complaint, absent from your first attack, that I'm sending US buyers to non-US dealers. The two dealers that I'm talking about are significantly more knowledgeable about the Lee line than any US dealer that I've discussed Lee with. I also don't share your apparent preference that consumers be ignorant about price differences between dealers. On the contrary, I think that the more consumers know about pricing of a product the better, regardless of whether they are buying new or, as is often the case these days with photo gear, used.

In this very thread, I've already told the original European poster that there are noticeable differences in European and US pricing for Lee products. I'm now supposed to pretend that I didn't say that?

As for bemoaning a "lack of U.S. photo dealers", it's news to me that B&H and Adorama, the only U.S. dealers mentioned in this thread, are failing. Oh, and which two U.S. photo dealers built their companies on the sale of grey goods instead of adhering to your territorial view of the world? :)

This discussion is pointless. You are pursuing it because you come from an approach to marketing that is a study in obsolescence. How about we talk about the actual subject of the thread instead.

Bernice Loui
8-May-2022, 12:10
Suggestion would be 82mm for ease of availability, variety, cost -vs- actual filter performance and LOTs more. 86mm has always been a less common filter size, was used on Zeiss-Hasselblad and other less common lenses back then. To this day, most filters go from 82mm then 95mm often skipping 86mm.

That said, not a lot wrong with a good set of 82mm filters and step rings as needed for the other lenses as needed, and step rings are lower cost than good filters.

Bernice

Thanks
Mario

r.e.
8-May-2022, 12:13
Bob seems to be upset that you bothered Lee for information while buying from and/or recommending Filter Dude's cheaper alternatives.

In fact, all of the Lee adapter rings that I own are Lee products with the exception of one that I purchased from Filter Dude. He offers one that was not available from Lee resellers at the time. I also draw the line at paying $143 for an adapter ring. If somebody wants a 105mm ring for a Lee holder, yup, I'm going to tell them that Filter Dude's is $118 cheaper. I'm not going to feel guilty about it either. Oh, and for Bob's edification, Filter Dude is an American business :)

r.e.
8-May-2022, 12:26

Alan Klein has raised a different question, which Bernice quoted and was addressing.

Fermat
8-May-2022, 12:44
Suggestion would be 82mm for ease of availability, variety, cost -vs- actual filter performance and LOTs more. 86mm has always been a less common filter size, was used on Zeiss-Hasselblad and other less common lenses back then. To this day, most filters go from 82mm then 95mm often skipping 86mm.

That said, not a lot wrong with a good set of 82mm filters and step rings as needed for the other lenses as needed, and step rings are lower cost than good filters.

BerniceThanks to everyone for the recommendation.
I have found 3 filters B+W 82mm from Germany
MRC yellow (020),
MRC orange (040) and
MRC red (090)
for about 300€ total.
The yellow-green is available only from Hoya HMC for 42€.
I already have all the step-up ring for 82mm.

My point is that for sure I will be able to use the circle filter 82mm with compendium but not sure I can use 100x100 filter.

Mario

Bernice Loui
8-May-2022, 12:57
Excellent_!_

B+W (now part of Schneider) has produce high quality filters for a very long time. Not just the glass and optical quality, their holders are made of brass making then remarkably durable and lasting, trade off being weight. Hoya HMC are also very good.

These are the most often used B&W contrast filter set. Do consider adding a Polarizer and various Neutral Density filters as these two are basic filters types for a variety of image making needs. Reducing glare reflection, intensifying the sky and lots more are some of the image aids a polarizing filter can offer. Neutral density filters can be used to increase shutter speed allowing larger lens apertures to be used at slower shutter speeds or increasing shutter speed to gain the impression of flowing motion in a given image. ND filters used to increase shutter time can also be used to exclude moving objects like pedestrians in a given image.

"Big Stopper" ND1000 filters that can attenuate light by 10 f-stops or more (modern ND filters go past ND1000) have become common and easily available today, consider the creative image possibilities with shutter speeds down to seconds and more.

Bernice

Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.
MRC yellow (020),
MRC orange (040) and
MRC red (090)
for about 300€ total.

My point is that for sure I will be able to use the circle filter 82mm with compendium but not sure I can use 100x100 filter.

Mario

r.e.
8-May-2022, 13:12
Thanks to everyone for the recommendation.
MRC yellow (020),
MRC orange (040) and
MRC red (090)
for about 300€ total.

I have the same 82mm filters with one possible difference. My yellow B+W is 022. I didn't know that B+W makes a 020, or is that a typo? My yellow-green Hoya is HMC X0.

Fermat
8-May-2022, 13:13
Typo.
The correct one is 022.

Mario

r.e.
8-May-2022, 14:04
Typo.
The correct one is 022.

Mario

I started to standardise around 82mm because I needed to do it for video, but I think that 82mm is also a good size for large format photography. You're covered for most lenses and for ready availability of step-up rings. It will only be problematic if you get it into your head to buy a lens that takes 95mm filters, or that requires a centre filter that has an outside thread for 86mm or larger add-on filters.

I don't know about others, but the reality is that I've "standardised" more than once. The first time that I did it, a long time ago for a Leica M3, turned out not to be the last. For me, standardisation has slowed down, but hasn't stopped, the accumulation of filters.

A few months ago, I acquired a Schneider Kreuznach lens that, with centre filter, requires 112mm filters :)

Corran
8-May-2022, 17:01
As an aside, I've used my 72mm XL (95mm filters) and center filter (112mm filter) with 100mm rectangular GND filters rubber-banded to the front. That cut off about 6mm of the front of the lens on each side, but the IC for that is massive and not a problem for 4x5. Of course this would depend on movements and format, but generally you can get away with a lot more when using 4x5 lenses with usually larger ICs than on digital cameras with wide angle lenses usually almost no room for filter cut-off. As an example, I have a filter holder for my Nikon 14-24mm lens that is massive and requires 150mm-wide filters to get out of the way of the bulbous front element.

r.e.
8-May-2022, 17:37
I have a filter holder for my Nikon 14-24mm lens that is massive and requires 150mm-wide filters to get out of the way of the bulbous front element.

As I understand it, Nikon's Z 14-24mm f/2.8S is the very reason that a small number of manufacturers are currently making 112mm filters, although the lines are limited to ultraviolet, polariser and neutral density filters. Those 112mm filter lines are marketed specifically for that lens.

Corran
8-May-2022, 17:38
I didn't know that. To clarify, I was talking about the older AF-S lens. I don't shoot mirrorless...well except for my rangefinders and LF cameras of course! :)

r.e.
8-May-2022, 17:49
I didn't know that. To clarify, I was talking about the older AF-S lens. I don't shoot mirrorless...well except for my rangefinders and LF cameras of course! :)

Example... There's nothing about this polariser that's unique to Nikon's Z 14-24mm f/2.8S lens, it's just that that lens is the market for it:

Corran
8-May-2022, 17:49
The older 14-24mm doesn't have the ability to take screw filters.

r.e.
8-May-2022, 17:57
The older 14-24mm doesn't have the ability to take screw filters.

Luckily, when I was deciding to purchase the Schneider Kreuznach lens and centre filter that I mentioned in post #60, NiSi/B&H decided to sell that 112mm polariser for half price for 24 hours.

I've also had good luck buying 112mm filters second-hand. Tokina Cinema makes a series of well-regarded IRND (infrared neutral density) filters (https://www.tokinacinema.com/tokina-pro-irnd) for ciné lenses, including 112mm, and I've been able to acquire the strengths that I wanted at reasonable prices.

Alan Klein
9-May-2022, 04:22
Thanks everyone for your input. I have to think about the options now.