PDA

View Full Version : Doran Enterprises TC-750 temperature control

Robert A. Zeichner
3-May-2022, 14:58
Anyone have any experience with these? An instruction manual perhaps?

Drew Wiley
3-May-2022, 16:50
It appears to be just a basic immersion heater. Never use it dry. Fill your water bath with water slightly below your intended temperature. Let your immersion heater adjust to that temp five minutes or so, with itself set somewhat lower than your ideal temp, and then dial it up a little bit at a time until it maintains the ideal temp. Never use these like outright water heaters in cold water. Of course, you'll need a decent thermometer too, to check things. They do seem to have a safety reset button in case they overheat. And there should be an indicator light when actually heating things or not. Having full output of 750 watts means you'll want to plug them into a good GFCI wall outlet, and never into something like a power strip.

Duolab123
3-May-2022, 19:41
I've used these for years. They work great. There is a little device on the top that has a conductivity detector that is designed to prevent it from heating without water. Requires tap water. They are a little clumsy with huge grounded cord. I used these for RA-4 and other things. Never tried below 95°F.

Duolab123
3-May-2022, 19:46
It appears to be just a basic immersion heater. Never use it dry. Fill your water bath with water slightly below your intended temperature. Let your immersion heater adjust to that temp five minutes or so, with itself set somewhat lower than your ideal temp, and then dial it up a little bit at a time until it maintains the ideal temp. Never use these like outright water heaters in cold water. Of course, you'll need a decent thermometer too, to check things. They do seem to have a safety reset button in case they overheat. And there should be an indicator light when actually heating things or not. Having full output of 750 watts means you'll want to plug them into a good GFCI wall outlet, and never into something like a power strip.

PS after I used one of these for years, I figured out that button was the conductivity probe. Tap water or your finger will work to close detection circuit :rolleyes:
It's not up to the latest standards. I found having a drop of water on the little button is enough to energize the heater. I never had one over heat on me.