PDA

View Full Version : Technikardan strengthener

tim atherton
22-Mar-2006, 16:12
This is a crossover from another thread (Frank's US Manufacturing of a Precision View Camera)

SK Grimes custom projects/fabrication came up and there was a link to this funky looking technikardan strengthener/improvement (as well as other stuff the are doing)

http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-13-06/index.htm

Frank Petronio
22-Mar-2006, 17:08
Making it as strong as an Arca!

Michael Kadillak
22-Mar-2006, 18:41
I have used my Technikardan for several years now and have yet to find a real life situation where I found additional camera back support a necessity to overcome vibration or any other adverse situation in any way shape or form. My experience is that anytime the words "German" and "Engineering" are used concurrently it is as good as money in the bank. The camera is a gem.

I feel that there are a group of people that are pre-disposed to the negative side of the equal sign and they make up for this perceived inequity in excessive concern about product inefficiency on their own. God bless them because they are actually assisting in the support of the LF service industry and for this we are all grateful . These same individuals continue to aspouse fears about the longevity of sheet film when the simple solution is to procure a chest freezer and consume to the second power. The hard work of negotiations to bring viable products to market has already been expended and trying to be negative in this environment takes a lot of diligence. We are all as lucky as a four leaf clover picked fresh on St. Patty's day!

Bottom line is that if your Technikardan suffers from legitimate rear standard vibration problems, you really need to consider closing shop and getting out of the adverse weather.

Cheers!

Paddy Quinn
22-Mar-2006, 19:14
(this advertisment was paid for by the campaign to elect Linhof users to congress)

The rear standard isn't bad, but as the actress said to the bishop; it's just not as stiff as an arca

Frank Petronio
22-Mar-2006, 20:14
When you hang a Better Light scan back with a 5 lb SCSI cable off the back, the TK sags... so I hear.

neil poulsen
22-Mar-2006, 20:51
I recall an architectural photographer who gave a class on photographing lighting at a Calumet Seminar having a Technikarden with something to steady the front. He wasn't so concerned with lack of strength as with eliminating any vibration. He took time exposures and had problems if he didn't use a stabilizer on the front standard.

Michael Kadillak
23-Mar-2006, 16:14
Use a heavy long lens on a TK and yes, you probably could use the front support member. But then again, that is what it was the application that it was designed for. I purchased the extra rail but have yet to use it. Maybe someday I will.

Cheers!