PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Bellows Replacement

Renato Tonelli
26-Apr-2022, 07:08
I need to change the bellows on a Linhof Technika IV. I could try to do it myself (and may indeed end up doing it myself) but I would prefer to have it done by a professional technician in the EU (I keep the camera in Italy).

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep it in the EU and not to send the camera to the UK - customs have become a hassle after brexit.

Thanks -

Serge S
26-Apr-2022, 09:19
Hello Renato,

Have you considered maybe sending it to Linhof?
Just a thought...

I need to change the bellows on a Linhof Technika IV. I could try to do it myself (and may indeed end up doing it myself) but I would prefer to have it done by a professional technician in the EU (I keep the camera in Italy).

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep it in the EU and not to send the camera to the UK - customs have become a hassle after brexit.

Thanks -

Renato Tonelli
26-Apr-2022, 11:56
Hello Renato,

Have you considered maybe sending it to Linhof?
Just a thought...

Hi Serge - that's back-up plan No. 2; their Service Dept. is very busy and a bit more expensive than independent repair shops.

abruzzi
26-Apr-2022, 13:21
I did mine, and its not horrible, but it is a bit of a pain, especially poking holes through the holes in the front metal plates, through the bellows material, and lining it up with the threaded holes on the standard. I forget how many there are, but getting them all lined up correctly was a real pain. the slution was poking the holes with a thick needle, then holding them in place with toothpicks. Once the plate is glued, and the toothpicks are all aligning the holes with the screw holes, take one toothpick out at a time and screw that screw in, then move to the next.

But really, if you can find someone to do it for you, do it.

Renato Tonelli
26-Apr-2022, 14:32
I did mine, and its not horrible, but it is a bit of a pain, especially poking holes through the holes in the front metal plates, through the bellows material, and lining it up with the threaded holes on the standard. I forget how many there are, but getting them all lined up correctly was a real pain. the slution was poking the holes with a thick needle, then holding them in place with toothpicks. Once the plate is glued, and the toothpicks are all aligning the holes with the screw holes, take one toothpick out at a time and screw that screw in, then move to the next.

But really, if you can find someone to do it for you, do it.

Thank you for the head's-up. There is an excellent tutorial on YouTube - it is in two parts and in time-lapse.

abruzzi
26-Apr-2022, 15:36
yeah, I started with those videos, and they do help a lot.

Renato Tonelli
6-May-2022, 17:36
@abruzzi:

Did you also change the light sealing foam (as shown in the tutorial video)? If so, what is the approx thickness and where did you source it?

Thank you .

abruzzi
7-May-2022, 07:00
I don't remember changing ny foam. Where is it on the camera?

Renato Tonelli
7-May-2022, 07:11
I don't remember changing ny foam. Where is it on the camera?

The very beginning of this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8YKYFfFx4

abruzzi
7-May-2022, 10:26
no, I just glued the bellows material to the surface, which was how the previous bellows were attached. I didn't seen any foam material on the bellows I took off (I assume they were original given the conditon, and the fact that my camera was a early Master Technika, so the condition was in line with a 40 year old set.) If you want something like that, I have a roll of this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115330793244

I've used that for light seals on my Plaubel. Its very dense and is closed cell foam with adhesive on one side. The densness may make to too hard to compress though. This roll is a half inch wide, and would need to be cut to make narrower.

Renato Tonelli
7-May-2022, 13:32
Good to know.
I have no idea if my Linhof has the foam; I guess I'll figure it out when I take it apart. I ordered the bellows.

s389
12-May-2022, 05:01
Hello,
I am currently changing the bellows of a linhof technika V 13x18 and there is no foam. The back is simply glued and keep in place with two metal pieces screwed on the back. It's an easy task with care and patience. No specific tool needed.

Renato Tonelli
12-May-2022, 07:54
Hello,
I am currently changing the bellows of a linhof technika V 13x18 and there is no foam. The back is simply glued and keep in place with two metal pieces screwed on the back. It's an easy task with care and patience. No specific tool needed.

I am hoping mine won't have any foam as well. I can't check and see because the camera is kept in Italy and I am still in the USA.
I have ordered the bellows and they will arrive any day.