PDA

View Full Version : Lens Repair

MtnMan
25-Apr-2022, 12:15
My Dad and I were always involved in various projects thru the years. I feel very bless by that. One project we didn't get to before he passed was building a view camera. I'm thinking of starting the project in honor of him. I was wondering who repairs lens with issues. Thanks.

BrianShaw
25-Apr-2022, 14:45
That sounds like a really worthwhile project, although I'd think about buying a view camera and using it in his honor rather than building one. But that's just me... building might take more time. :)

Rebuilding shutters is generally within the skill set of any camera repair shop that still works on film cameras. It would help if you gave a clue as to the type of shutter and your location for a better and more informative response.

John Layton
28-Apr-2022, 06:04
As for rebuilding shutters, it seems that the most common shutter-related issue among us LF folks is a gunked-up slow speed mechanism (the little cage which contains the slow speed gears).

Turns out that this little cage is pretty easy to either re-lubricate in place, or, as in my case - to extract entirely (held in place with three screws), flood with alcohol, then re-lube prior to re-installation. Mind you this is for a late Copal (have also done this with 35mm Leica shutters).

At any rate...the above "repair" took all of half an hour, so that my then-favorite (210mm Sironar-N) lens was effectively never taken out of service. Something to think about!

MultiFormat Shooter
28-Apr-2022, 13:18
I was wondering who repairs lens with issues. Thanks.

That's a nice thing, to do in your Dad's honor. As far as fixing large format lenses/shutters, I have had good luck with Phototronic (https://phototronic.biz/). The owner is really nice, and is willing to "talk shop," with you. He has worked on a couple of different 4x5 cameras and lenses for me, and did a good job.

I have no affiliation, other than being a satisfied customer.

abruzzi
28-Apr-2022, 15:17
the answers here are mostly about repairing the shutter (understandable since that is the part that goes wrong the most) but the OP didn't specify, is it a lens issue (fungue, separation, etc.) or a shutter issue (usually shutter timing, maybe shutter opration, or aperture operation)? There are quite a few shutter repairers out there, and the cost is usually pretty reasonable. Lens repairers seem less common, and while I don't know what they cost, I doubt it is as cheap.

Rick L
29-Apr-2022, 05:36
I sent a very early Voigtländer Heliar to https://www.cameradoctornyc.com

he was well recommended to me and I was very happy with the service