PDA

View Full Version : Hands up if you have anything with Sweden to do

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 07:56
Hej på Er allihoppa!

I am originally from Philadelphia but have been an active advertising photog here in Sthlm for the past 8 years. I am curious to whom else here is first and fore most from the Stockholm area? Or even from Scandinavia for that matter.

Maybe you are even planing a trip to this wonderful city? I am working on putting together a gathering here in Sthlm for August and would love to see if anyone is interested.

I myself have use a 12x20 Wisner, Teknika IV and other small things like Hasselblad and a Pentax Auto 110. :0)
I together with Förstoringsateljén are in the last week or so of finishing a 20x24 INCH color enlager for all those interested.

You can check out my studio here: www.studio20m.com
or my personal page here: www.soost.com

SKÅL!

Mvh

Patrik Roseen
22-Mar-2006, 08:01
Hej Tedd,

Jo jag bor i Sthlm (du måste ha läst E6 processingtråden antar jag)...jag känner till flera storformatare i sthlm samt åtminstone en i Uppsala. Skulle vara kul med en gathering i höst. Vi hörs, Patrik Roséen

Andrew O'Neill
22-Mar-2006, 08:04
Hey! Come on! At least write in English so we can all understand!

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 08:08
Ha Ha!

Andrew is right. There could be some english speaking lurking in the dark alleys of Gamla Stan.
It would be great if you guys have any websites to post the addresses here.

I have a thread going on www.mamutphoto.com about the gathering as well.
I even have a newer updated mini gallery there as well. You can also see some pics from the Norway gathering with Ole there too.

Patrik Roseen
22-Mar-2006, 08:25
Sorry Andrew, I just got a bit excited... I was saying that I know of several LF-photogs in Stockholm and Uppsala and that I look forward to a gathering in August. Again, I truly apologize! Kind regards, Patrik

Ole Tjugen
22-Mar-2006, 08:25
And if at all possible, I'll be there too.

With a camera or two - maybe not the big Russian 30x40cm, but at least the small German 24x30cm. And a 5x7" or two. And probably a KW Patent etui 6.5x9 in a pocket.

Jim Rhoades
22-Mar-2006, 10:15
A 20x24 enlarger? Holy cow, you must have one lunkenfullar of a basement!

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 10:17
Great Patrik!

Can't you give me a call when you get a chance? Do you work as a photographer as well?

Next question for everyone:

Anyone have experience with Pt/Pd? I have got this MAGNFICENT, monster, almost new, 5000 watt plate burner here in the studio!
I would love to learn how to use it. So if you can teach me something my studio doors are open even for your own personal use...

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 10:21
Actually Jim...

www.forstoringsateljen.se is the lab whom will be housing the monster. The english version is coming soon....
The lab is FULL service! They even develop my 12x20 sheets with perfect evenness. E-6, C-41, B&W and they actually do a lot of Cibachrome.
They have several very large rooms with horizontal enlargers. Need a print 5 meters wide? No problem!

The gathering I am putting together here in Sthlm will also be visiting and playing at the lab, for those intrested.

Richard Abrahamsson
22-Mar-2006, 14:24
Hi Tedd and everyone else,
Patrik notified me of this thread and I'd be delighted to attend the gathering in Stockholm. The timing might be bad for me since I have to submitt my Ph.D. Thesis for print sometime in late August or early september, hence I cannot promise anything.

I'm using a Cambo Master PC 4x5" and have done so since January 2005. I am blessed with the membership of a photo club with a darkroom half a kilometer from where I live in Uppsala that has equipment for printing from up to 10x10" negatives.

I am a little bit reluctant since, since my interest in photography started in 2002, I've rapidly moved to larger and larger formats, and I am afraid that meeting photographers using larger large formats may inspire me to go further in size, and my better half is already complaining about the size of my equipment (photographic equipment that is ;-)).

A link to some of my photographs (not all LF though):

Fotosidan (http://www.fotosidan.se/gallery/listpic.htm?type=st&authorID=10633)

I'll notify a friend of mine here in Uppsala who also recently become a LF photographer (he's using a Speed Graphic if I am not mistaken) and might be interested. Both of us are enthusiastic amateurs.

Regards,
Richard

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 14:32
Hello Richard!

Please don't be reluctant at all. Better late than never and better big than small. :O)
Please give me call at the studio if you are in the area, my wensite links are in the first entry of this thread.

Why not get together those of us in the Sthlm area soon!? Would be great to take a beer anytime.

Check out another great forum at www.mamutphoto.com. It is based in Brussels, a little closer for us living in Europe.

GPS
22-Mar-2006, 15:08
Wow! Sweden in the limelight! Du jamais vu! By the way Tedd, the beer is perhaps better in Brussels too... Sthlm? How about going up, up to the Nord to see again what you long for and never find to keep...

Tedd
22-Mar-2006, 18:20
GPS
I agree the beer down in Brussels would be better and there are plenty of bars here with just such buds.
As far as the north I think Ole had some thoughts of a gathering in the northern most parts of Norway!
Even better.

What is your connection to Sweden?

Graham Patterson
22-Mar-2006, 21:32
At least you gave my wife a chance to exercise her Swedish!

Matthew Cordery
22-Mar-2006, 22:42
I lived in Uppsala for a year. Can I be an honorary Swede? No, wait, I don't like herring. Never mind. ;-) Still, Stockholm on a sunny day is one of the prettiest cities in the world.

Mikael Hofverberg
22-Mar-2006, 22:58
Hi, I live just outside Stockholm. Doing mostly 4x5 but as well some medium format and only for my own amusement.

A gathering in August would be very nice.

/Mikael

GPS
23-Mar-2006, 02:11
My connection to Sweden? Right now about 2 hrs flight and the constant summer longing for the big North (Norden) besides other. Had about 10 complete summer vacations in Norway and got that mountains bug. I used to have my gps coordination in Stockholm before I moved elsewhere.

Patrik Roseen
23-Mar-2006, 02:26
Hi Tedd, looks like more people coming in now.

Just to let you know I am not a professional photographer, but a very eager amateur who just happened to stumble on a sentence in a photobook talking about this "Large Format , where the negative is as large as a postcard, where the plane of focus can be adjusted, and where the focusing is done under a dark cloth, and the lenses are brilliant with a huge image circle and quality..." . I was amazed !!! I was actually looking for a high quality Digital camera but completely changed my mind and turned LF.

You can find some of my pictures on:

http://www.fotosidan.se/gallery/listpic.htm?authorID=50509

See you,

Patrik

Ole Tjugen
23-Mar-2006, 03:26
"As far as the north I think Ole had some thoughts of a gathering in the northern most parts of Norway!"

That plan is maybe for next year - and Eirik Berger is the one who will arrange that. I'll "assist" if needed, the gathering last year clearly showed there is interest in these Scandinavian gatherings!

Joakim Ahnfelt
23-Mar-2006, 06:23
Hi from Gothenburg (sweden). A get together sounds like great fun. I'm an Art Director by trade and a hobby photographer by pleasure. I mainly shoot 4x5 but i'm open to temptation. I've done some pt/pd at a workshop in England and some at home. I really just know enough to be dangerous. I'd love to help you in any way I can but on a more dual blame/trial and horror basis.
First half of august sounds fine with me. Looking foreward to more details.

Cheers

GPS
23-Mar-2006, 11:29
" a gathering in the northen most part of Norway?" How about Hammerfest? All the participants could become members of The Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society... Personnaly I 'll celebrate 20 years of my membership there in 2007 (although I've never made it for the annual general assembly).

Jürgen Cullmann
23-Mar-2006, 14:16
Hi Tedd,
I am pleased to see you again at your gathering in Stockholm. As far as I know, Ralf will accompany me.
Me be I should phone to you in the next days.

Cheers from Germany

Tedd
23-Mar-2006, 14:29
Hello Jürgen!!!

Great to hear that you will be coming and with Ralf too! Please to call me and tell Ralf that the coast here is full of really BIG stones for his pictures. Although they may be too big for him to arrange.

Joakim Ahnfelt
23-Mar-2006, 14:48
I forgott to ask, is this ULF only?

Tedd
23-Mar-2006, 14:55
No. Ulf, Sven, Erik, Joakim, Bill, Bob, George.... :0)
All are welcome! Would be nice though if it were at least sheet film of some kind.

Tedd
23-Mar-2006, 15:17
Joakim vilken byrå jobbar du på?

Peter Bergdahl
24-Mar-2006, 03:23
Great initiative !

I'm from Sweden and would love to come but i'm living and working in China right now so it's a bit far away.

I havent used my LF camera for 6 month after i came to China because i've had no film (my hands are trembling). I took 80 quickloads with me to China when i moved from Japan but my maid threw them in the trashcan the first week i was here thinking they were "useless" (i can't believe she hadn't heard about quickloads!).

One of my new Chinese friends have located a store and helped me order Velvia 100 (10 sheets for 17USD which is a great price) and i'm getting them next week.

I'm interested to come if i'm visiting Sweden at the time.

Cheers
Peter

Joakim Ahnfelt
27-Mar-2006, 04:03
Hi Tedd
I work at start communication in Gothenburg. Don't look at our web site startcommunication.com unless you're ready for a trip down memory lane, ca late nineties. We are finally redoning it (thank god). I've been harassing everybody about it since they hired me two years ago.
Cheers

Tedd
8-Jun-2006, 14:19
Hello everyone!

Wow. Times flies when one has alot to do.
I don't know if everyone whom has posted here will get a notification via email..
Otherwise I will try and contact you individually by email.

Anyways. The 20x24 color enlarger is done and works beyond our expections. So I am now putting the final plans together for the Stockholm Sweden gathering for the last two weeks in july. Open door I guess. Come when you all can and wee will find lots to shoot and of course hang out at http://www.forstoringsateljen.se/fa.html and they will be available for processing and ULF printing! YIPEE!!!!

Sorry their website for the time being is still only in swedish. Let me know and I can send you the translated version.

What is everyone interested in shooting?

Regards

Tedd

Tedd
8-Jun-2006, 14:31
Might as well post the translation here for the labs website:

The analog photographic technique and the creation of optimum picture quality

Förstoringsateljén (The Enlarging Studio) has been providing high quality photographic services since 1959.
From the beginning, we have worked with demanding photographers, who settle for nothing but the best quality. For those interested, we have also been working in digital photography since the mid 90's.

It all comes down to extreme tonal qualities

Photographers have always strived to capture the feeling of the subject.
One wants to capture the essence of the morning or evening light, to bring out nature, the surface and texture of objects or to lift details from the background in order to create depth. To bring colors vividly to life in order to create the third dimension, just as the photographer experienced the image himself.
The corner stone of photography, and what drives most photographers to work with pictures, is to provide an emotional message to an audience. ?The crucial final point, is that the extreme tonal range of the photographic material is preserved in the final print.
Why ? Because it is the tonal range that brings out the picture's more delicate qualities. Extreme tonal range means that images have natural transitions from tint to tint, and very rich details from dark to light areas. It results in an impression of depth and three-dimension.

The analog film and photographic materials

Analog films and photographic materials aim to represent reality as closely
as possible. Different films have different characterstics, which makes them
very suitable for photographers who want to turn their vision into emotion.
Manual printing allows for further control over the final product. Ensuring
high quality throughout the work chain, from the photographers’ vision, to
the image’s development, printing and presentations, is essential to create
a picture of high quality standards.
For example, when it is necessary to digitize the analog image, we use drum
scanners, still the highest quality technology on the market today.

Drum Scanning

Drum scan, in our experience, is the best technology for digitizing images.
Drum scanners read the actual RGB value for each point of the original,
ensuring the highest authenticity. The process stores a large amount of
information, covering the whole tonal range of the original, ensuring that
the image responds very well to software corrections. There is also a buffer
of tonality beyond what is visible on the screen, giving lush details in
printing.. Surprises at both trial print and final print are few.

Digital picture quality

For maximum picture quality, analog photography is sometimes not the best
approach, and digital photography responds better to difficult light
situations where film sensitivity is lacking.

Förstoringsateljén’s aspiration is to acheive maximum quality
From different photographic material and develop the analog technique.

How we work

We normally tackle projects as a whole and produce completed products that
are then delivered to exhibitions, galleries or an end customer.
For this we have a department for photo finishing that includes assembly,
frame- and woodworking shops.
Film processing is one of the most important aspects in the photographic
process if maximum quality is to be achieved, and we therefore place a great
importance here.
For printing and assembly, we work with the largest machines available,
making it possible for us to handle the largest of prints in the darkroom
and in the workshops. We consider the finishing of the picture to be as
equally important as the first telephone call. If the original image should
hold a high visual and physical quality, it is crucial that all areas
function as a whole.
It is also important that the original image be transported safely so that
nothing is damaged or misplaced. We custom construct the crates and
packaging for the final products ourselves; we take the utter most care to
both the internal wrapping as well as the packaging itself.
In order to hold the standard you require we update our knowledge and
competence continuously. We strive daily to find the best possible
materials and optimal solutions.

Processing?E6, C41, SV. All up to 8"x10" & 20"x24"
Enlargements/duplications?RA4-color neg, Ilfochrome (Cibachrome), B&W on fiber pappers.?Output of digital originals to dia, color and B&W neg
Mounting?Sheet aluminum, different kinds of wood, fiber materials, plexi material, glass, silicone mounting
Construction?Framework, hanging, spacers, box construction, sanding, etc
Packaging?Complete solutions for delivery direct to end customer, permanent & travelling exhibitions

Patrik Roseen
10-Jun-2006, 15:20
Hello Teddan,
Great! I will try to be there...please keep me posted on the details.
See you, Patrik.

Tedd
10-Jun-2006, 15:48
I am thinking about taking everyone to Gotland, alternative Stockholms archipelago.
Thoughts?

Joakim Ahnfelt
11-Jun-2006, 06:25
[QUOTE=Tedd]

”What is everyone interested in shooting?”

I'm mainly shooting strange things. Some examples here
http://www.fotosidan.se/member/view.htm?ID=30081
(in swedish only, sorry for that.) but i'm open for just about anything.
Gotland is very nice but sounds a bit far off.
I recently bought some Hasselblad stuff from a fellow LF photographer here in Göteborg, I'll see if I can lure him along to. The more the merrier.
/Joakim

Tedd
11-Jun-2006, 06:54
Did the guy you bought stuff from happen to be a Lars with a cool mustache?
If so I just bought a bunch of Broncolor Stuff from him as well.

As far as Gotland I think it will give us plenty of motives and culture.
http://www.destinationgotland.se
They have a special for 5 people including car for the ferry. It would run each about 150kr each plus gas. They only have fast ferries now so from Sthlm to Gotland won't take more than 3-3,5 hours I beleive.

But of course it also depends upon who is coming and everyones time schedules.

Otherwise Stockholms Archipelago is nice too. Even better if we can get a hold of a boat to get around.

Patrik Roseen
11-Jun-2006, 12:36
Hi Tedd, I agree there are lots of different subjects to photograph on Gotland..but there is also the challenge of finding a slot on the boat trip (rather easy to find on the off hour trips where you leave Nynäshamn around midnight and arrive in Visby at 3 o'clock in the morning.) Another challenge is where to stay for the night since all swedes are on vacation in July.

What kind of event did you have in mind...a one day trip or an overnight trip, i.e. would Gotland be the main area for the gathering or more a special session from the base in Stockholm?

Tedd
11-Jun-2006, 12:45
I was thinking of it a session for maybe two days or so. But it depends on how many are coming and how long people are here for. I have some contacts I am working on when it comes to where we can stay, cheap.

How familiar are you with points of interest in the archipelago otherwise?

Then of course there is my studio (www.studio20m.com) Here we can process and shoot in the studio. I also have an unused plate burner from a repro with a 5000w UV lightsource screaming to be used. I have never done Pt/Pd so I would love for someone to show me.

Morten
12-Jun-2006, 01:42
Hi Tedd!

Just scanned the thread for a proposed a date.. None found so far ?? Is there one now?? (hoping to be there.. :-)

Gotland, the Stocholm archipelago or Stockholm city are all great subjects, but for this Gotland or the archipelago would be my personal preference.

Morten :-)

Tedd
16-Jun-2006, 16:47
Hope you do not mind George if I quote you form youremail,,,

today i have made bookings to Stockholm and back as follows:
(my wife finally preferred staying home with the children)

aller:
tuesday 25-jul-2006 brussels 17:05 stockholm bma 19:20 SN2307
retour:
tuesday 01-aug-2006 stockholm bma 20:00 brussels 22:15 SN2308

currently I have not done any hotel booking in stockholm, so i look
forward to good proposals from your side; hopefully all attendants can
agree on one hotel so that would be good for the team spirit

if there is anything organized on the island i will gladly participate

kind regards from luxembourg,
Georges Wagener

Tedd
18-Jun-2006, 13:45
Ok.
Who's game and when are you coming? I will be looking into hotel situations this week.
Preferences? Near the studio or in town? Near the studio means you can still get into town for the evenings but it will take 15-20 minutes by public transportation or a about 5-10 by taxi.

Jimi
26-Jun-2006, 14:16
...well, hands up, both of'em! Used to live in Stockholm and hired a lab at Bastugatan. Been doing the rounds in Gothenburg too, hanging out in the store at Kungsgatan too many hours... Nowadays I live a bit south of Stockholm (Linköping). Been thinking of showing up at the Stockholm meet-up in July, too. Could be fun to meet some people doing LF. Not to mention doing analog photography. :)

Andre Noble
26-Jun-2006, 21:43
I have nothing to do with Sweden, but I can tell you that I was once put off a night train there in the middle of nowhere at 2 a.m. (hours away from my final destination, Stockholm) because my 30 Day Eurail pass had expired at midnight, I was told.

Patrik Roseen
27-Jun-2006, 02:15
...put off a night train there in the middle of nowhere at 2 a.m. (hours away from my final destination, Stockholm) ....

It must have been Gothenburg.... ;-)

Tedd
17-Jul-2006, 14:37
Jimi please email me so I can get intouch with you about the meet.
It would be great to have you along!

tedd@soost.com