PDA

View Full Version : Can a Sinar F1 be upgraded from 4x5 to 13x18 cm ?

Colin Howarth
21-Mar-2006, 12:47
Well, haven't received my F1 yet, but I'm already wondering whether it can be upgraded to 13x18 later.

This isn't clear to me from their website.

Thanks.

colin

Jerry Flynn
21-Mar-2006, 14:45
Sinar did make a 5X7 version of the F1, but it is no longer available. To convert, you would have to replace the entire rear standard (and bellows). I have not seen many of the 5X7 F1 rear standards for sale used.

You can convert the F1, as I did for a while, by using a Norma 5X7 back and bellows. Of course, you could also obtain the P standard bearer and 5X7 conversion kit of frame, groundglass and bellows as well.

Ron Marshall
21-Mar-2006, 17:17
Colin, I have just done this with my F1, and an very happy I did. There are two ways to do it.

1) 5x7 (13x18) Sinar Norma rear standard and ground glass holder, with 5x7 to 4x5 bellows.

2) Sinar P rear standard holder, 5x7 ground glass holder and 5x7 standard, 5x7 to 4x5 bellows.

Option 1 is lighter and more compact; option 2 has geared movements.

In both cases the F1 front standard is still used.

Colin Howarth
22-Mar-2006, 00:11
Hmmm, now I'm confused. There is/was a format converter on offer on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/Sinar-kompl-Ausbau-Adapter-13-18-fuer-p-und-p2_W0QQitemZ7599376395QQcategoryZ8277QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which explicitly says it doesn't fit on an F1.

maybe ikt's not a rear standard.

colin

Colin Howarth
22-Mar-2006, 01:24
Ah, well clearly there's no P rear standard holder included. I guess that's all I'd need extra?

tor kviljo
22-Mar-2006, 04:42
hmmmmmm - if You do not allready own a Sinar P or P2, stay off the Sinar P/P2 conversion set as You are likely to find that the other part You will need, the Sinar P rear standard bearer (the "P rear standard holder" You mentioned) often is very expensive on ebay. You will most likely have to pay more for the Sinar P rear standard bearer than the entire Norma 5x7 rear standard w/GG-back & 4x5 - 5x7 bellows.

By the way: the Sinar F1 front standard is very flimsy, so use the F1 rear standard instead of the F1 front standard when You add the 5x7 set to give a camera of better stability + front fine-focus.

I have a norma 5x7 with an extra 4"x5" rear standard to cover both formats. This camera is HIDEOUSLY much better made & more stable than the Sinar F1, so if You get the chance to swap - just dooooo it! Only thing You loose is two-point tilt calculator and the possibility to fold the F1 completely together, but the Norma is small & nice when slid off rail for backpacing, the 5x7 being only slightly larger than the 4x5 set as the bellows og partly front format frame rests nicely inside the 7x7 format frame when using a bag bellows.

Ron Marshall
22-Mar-2006, 11:40
Yes, the Norma is definately the best alternative for converting to 5x7 for field use. Lighter, more compact, simpler to use and cheaper.

Colin Howarth
22-Mar-2006, 13:17
Thanks everyone, also for putting up with my complete lack of knowledge (standard holder instead of bearer indeed - sorry :-)

I think I've understood now. F1 and Sinar book have arrived today, which makes things easier too.