PDA

View Full Version : ULF

Wayne
20-Mar-2006, 16:08
When was the term ULF invented, and since when did 11x14 become considered ULF?

Johson
20-Mar-2006, 16:11
I invented it. Yesterday was the day we all started considering 11x14 to be ULF. Funny you should ask.

Michael Kadillak
20-Mar-2006, 17:21
I seem to remember a while ago on the old forum that the administrators simply desired to segregate discussions into categories where the reader and/or contributor could easily go directly to specific photographic subjects they were interested in as quickly and as easily as possible. The natural delineation in formats was 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and beyond 8x10. Due to the fact that all formats beyond 8x10 encompassed what at that time were a growing albeit niche market, the generic term Ultra Large Format was offered up and seemed to fit. As this segement of the LF community has obviously grown in both scope and size it may be time to address this subject with more purpose and add some clarity. For example, where do formats like 4x10 and 5x12 fit? I guess it all depends upon your size reference point.

Cheers!

Terence McDonagh
20-Mar-2006, 17:25
Come on, Johson. We all know Al Gore invented it just after he created the internet.

Kerry L. Thalmann
20-Mar-2006, 17:29
Michael,

Of course, all such classifications are somewhat arbitrary, but a couple years ago when I wrote an article on "Mammoth Cameras" I was told to include anything with a film area larger than 8x10 (80 sq. in.). This definition excluded the 4x10 "baby banquet" cameras and there were no new 5x12 cameras on the market at that time. With "only" 60 sq. in. of film area, the 5x12 format would also be excluded by that definition - even though the format diagonal is actually slightly longer than it is for 8x10.

Kerry

Wayne
20-Mar-2006, 20:59
Are you saying the the term originated right here on this forum Michael? Or did the forum just adopt a term already is use?

John Kasaian
20-Mar-2006, 21:25
FWIW, I consider 12x20 to be BAHLF (Big A** Honkin' Large Format)

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
20-Mar-2006, 21:25
I believe that the forum picked up on the term that was already being tossed around Wayne.

I have a copy of Photo Techniques Jan/Feb 2001 that has a cover story - "Ultra Large Format Cameras Are Back" by Carl Weese who if I am not mistaken is an occasional contributor here. I believe that I came across the term at least a year or more earlier so I did not even blink when when I purchased the magazine on the news stand. I wanted to read more about "magnum" or" mammoth" or anything that would qualify as a big ass camera.

Cheers!

Wayne
20-Mar-2006, 22:02
I think I can recall the term being used even further back, maybe as far back as the late 80's or early 90's. But I definitely dont recall ever hearing it before then.

Michael Kadillak
2-Apr-2006, 15:20
ULF was coined by Douglas Busch in about 1982/1983 when he dabbled in the camera making business in formats larger than 8x10. I had a conversation on the subject with Michael Smith and he filled me in on the facts. Michael was providing Douglas with design improvement to prototypes being made. The business folded but the name survived.

Cheers!

David A. Goldfarb
2-Apr-2006, 19:04
I suspect 11x14" came to be considered ULF when Lisco/Fidelity stopped making filmholders for the format, and most films in 11x14" became special order items like custom and other less common formats.

Michael Kadillak
2-Apr-2006, 19:19
Excellent point David and I completely agree with your comment. Clearly the demise of film holders created an unintentional affiliation with more obscure "big" formats that has remained to this day.

Wayne
2-Apr-2006, 23:10
Ahah! Great investigative work. I vote to return 11x14 to its rightful place in the large format category, since efforts to abolish the term ULF would no doubt prove futile.

Oren Grad
3-Apr-2006, 05:39
I'm going to split etymologic hairs a bit. In my admittedly rusty recollection, Douglas Busch has always called his exploits "super large" rather than "ultra large". He still uses that handle:

www.superlarge.com/ (http://www.superlarge.com/)

and

www.superlarge.com/deGoldenBusch/index.html (http://www.superlarge.com/deGoldenBusch/index.html)

Look at the fine print, and he appears to have trademarked that designation, which may be why the rest of us aren't talking about SLF rather than ULF.