PDA

View Full Version : What equipment is hard for you to find?

barryjyoung
29-Mar-2022, 05:56
Hey LF users!

I am curious what you have had a hard time finding. I own a small manufacturing company. This is by way of research. If enough people want the same thing, there is a possibility we could make it and help alleviate the problem of hard to find items. What do you need? Knobs? Bellows? Lens boards? tripod braces? Take a moment and let us know what we should add to our catalog. We will be producing ground glass again soon. I am hopeful that we will have a line of cameras available in 2023.

Moderators please note that I am not offering to sell anything, just gathering information about what forum members are having a tough time obtaining.

Thank you everyone

Barry Young
Young Camera Company
Patterson Missouri, USA

Tin Can
29-Mar-2022, 06:03
Bellows and flanges

both are custom

John Kasaian
29-Mar-2022, 06:35
5x7 film holders are scarce
Lens boards for Kodak Masterviews are even scarcer which is why I sold mine.
Slip-on filter adaptors in larger sizes (VIII-X) are scarce as hen's teeth.

SGD
29-Mar-2022, 06:37
Three words: Graflex shutter curtains (ok more than three words, specifically for SLR type Graflexes).

Serge S
29-Mar-2022, 06:44
Slip-on filter adaptors & lens flanges come immediately to mind.

ic-racer
29-Mar-2022, 07:05
You will get lots of business offering one-off custom parts like SKGrimes.
To get to the next level, I’d like to see the ability to 3D scan a broken part, fix it in software and print or CNC a new part for the customer.
My experience is most manufacturing is unavailable to me due to minimum orders in the thousands.

Also, if you could figure how to polish and recoat lenses at a reasonable price that would be great.

xkaes
29-Mar-2022, 07:21
Minolta, Yashica, Minox, Mamiya, Steky, Kiev, Ricoh, 110, etc. empty, reloadable subminiature film cassettes.

gypsydog
29-Mar-2022, 09:52
Something similar to the AWB Wind Stabilizer, I assume since the website is defunct that Brubaker is out of business.
It would be nice to have a well made Bellows here in the U.S.

Marco Annaratone
29-Mar-2022, 10:22
Big shutters.

I have been looking for a Compound V for three years - or an Ilex #5 ... no luck. I have to buy a 2000 USD lens to get it (and throw away a valuable lens). One is on sale right now on the auction site for 850 EUR. Probably when they will get sold for 3000 USD someone will start manufacturing them somewhere in the Far East :-)

Incidentally, the far more humble (humbler?) Copal 3 is becoming less .. humble too.

Jim Noel
29-Mar-2022, 10:28

Yes, definitely, slip on adapters

Sal Santamaura
29-Mar-2022, 10:52
The broken focus lock lever on my Horseman VH. I've been moving the similar, but more robust, lever from my Horseman FA back and forth. Both appear to be castings, but the VH's lever was hollow rather than solid. Pictures of VH lever stub and intact FA lever attached.

Tin Can
29-Mar-2022, 11:01
Yep got a broken one here too

The broken focus lock lever on my Horseman VH. I've been moving the similar, but more robust, lever from my Horseman FA back and forth. Both appear to be castings, but the VH's lever was hollow rather than solid. Pictures of VH lever stub and intact FA lever attached.

Drew Wiley
29-Mar-2022, 11:04
I make my own slip-ons. But you can also try filterfind.net.

Tin Can
29-Mar-2022, 11:08
Series type lens hoods without threading would be easy to 'print' to order for slip-on applications

I have many, but never the right one

Mark Sawyer
29-Mar-2022, 11:46
Hey LF users!

I am curious what you have had a hard time finding. I own a small manufacturing company. This is by way of research. If enough people want the same thing, there is a possibility we could make it and help alleviate the problem of hard to find items. What do you need?

Simple plexiglass or 3D printed silver tanks for wet plate would be nice to have at a reasonable price. Most people could make their own wooden boxes to hold them, so just the tanks. Currently, 4x5 tanks start around $100, and 8x10 around $200.

Ulophot
29-Mar-2022, 15:17
Regarding slip-on filter adapters, I used to have an inexpensive one made for gelatin filters. It had two adjustable barndoors and was held on the lens with a pair of padded spring steel bands that were pushed at the ends to separate them before clamping to the outer lens front component. It could therefore be used with a variety of sizes. A similar design might be popular.

Whir-Click
29-Mar-2022, 16:17
Bellows. Custom Bellows in the UK is superb but I would love to have a closer option of comparable quality.

Lachlan 717
29-Mar-2022, 16:37
Slip-on filter holder for big lenses (specifically 127mm) that accept standard 150mm slide-in filters (Lee, Nisi et al). Can't find colour filters (B&W) in 127mm, only in Lee's 150x150mm resin (yuk, but beggars/choosers...)

BrianShaw
29-Mar-2022, 17:19
620 and 122 film spools

Oren Grad
29-Mar-2022, 17:37
Metal lens boards for the 3.25x4.25 Pacemaker Crown and Speed Graphics. They're smaller than the 4x5 boards, larger than the 2.25x3.25 boards, very hard to find, and not so easy to make without a well-equipped shop.

Dugan
29-Mar-2022, 17:55
620 and 122 film spools
FPP (Film Photography Project) sells 620 spools on Ebay.

Duolab123
29-Mar-2022, 18:50
122 film for my Grandfather's postcard camera :rolleyes:

Oren Grad
29-Mar-2022, 19:22
Moderators please note that I am not offering to sell anything, just gathering information about what forum members are having a tough time obtaining.

Barry, this is OK. It's good to see you reaching out for ideas. I am going to move the thread to the "New Products" subforum; please feel free to continue the discussion.

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:04
Bellows are a problem because as you say, they are custom. I did write a book on how to create your own bellows. Flanges are custom. However, if you are set up for them they are not at all difficult or troublesome. I have made and sold many flanges. The only problem with flanges is that I need the lens shipped to me to fit the flange to it.

I enjoy making lens flanges. As soon as my shop has power and I get everything put away from my 2200 mile move (with a machine shop and cabinetmaking shop) then I will be happy to make things for my fellow LF photographers.

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:08
AWB has film holders. I make film holders too, but I stick with ULF and panoramic sizes.

If you send me an example, I can make the slip on adapters. I have not even seen series VIII or larger adapters.

Tin Can
30-Mar-2022, 05:13
Is MO your new location?

If so 3 hours from me if I still drove infernal machines

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:13
Three words: Graflex shutter curtains (ok more than three words, specifically for SLR type Graflexes).

The problem with anything Graflex until the late 60's is that they were all handmade, and custom. Nothing was truly manufactured. It should not be too hard to copy the original. I would love to stock these, but every Graflex SLR is pretty much unique.

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:14

Hi Serge:
No problem, send me the sizes you need to adapt, once the lathe is going, I will be making large slip on filter adapters.
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:20
You will get lots of business offering one-off custom parts like SKGrimes.
To get to the next level, I’d like to see the ability to 3D scan a broken part, fix it in software and print or CNC a new part for the customer.
My experience is most manufacturing is unavailable to me due to minimum orders in the thousands.

Also, if you could figure how to polish and recoat lenses at a reasonable price that would be great.

I will not be recoating lenses.
I will take jobs that might be usable to other photographers, like lens flanges where I can make several to put some on the shelf for someone else.
Steve Grimes had a lot of business alright. The problem with one off custom work is that you have to charge the customer for all the costs, planning the job, sourcing the materials and cutters, building any tooling (fixtures and jigs), etc. etc. etc. rather than spreading those costs over several orders. Nobody want to pay that. That is why I want to limit jobs I take to things several people can benefit from.
Thank you
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:38
Minolta, Yashica, Minox, Mamiya, Steky, Kiev, Ricoh, 110, etc. empty, reloadable subminiature film cassettes.

I am sorry, we do not do miniature camera work only LF, ULF and panoramic.
Thank you for the request.
Barry

Tin Can
30-Mar-2022, 05:41
I wonder if someone will make very simple shutters

Cheaply for profit

Seems many have an aversion to NOS Packards, I love them, still made

but are Copal sizes patented?

I would settle for 1/30th and Bulb in Copal sizes with a slot for apertures

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:41
Something similar to the AWB Wind Stabilizer, I assume since the website is defunct that Brubaker is out of business.
It would be nice to have a well made Bellows here in the U.S.

https://tanglefree.com/collections/blinds-panel-blinds/products/panel-blind-stabilizer
I think this might do well for you.
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:43
Big shutters.

I have been looking for a Compound V for three years - or an Ilex #5 ... no luck. I have to buy a 2000 USD lens to get it (and throw away a valuable lens). One is on sale right now on the auction site for 850 EUR. Probably when they will get sold for 3000 USD someone will start manufacturing them somewhere in the Far East :-)

Incidentally, the far more humble (humbler?) Copal 3 is becoming less .. humble too.

Shutters are a possibility. That will take some time for me to develop, but it is something I have considered.
Thank you.
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:43
Yes, definitely, slip on adapters

Thanks Jim.
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:46

Hi Sal:
Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I am interested in producing. I need to have one in my hand to take measurements from. Any idea how I can get one for a few days?
Thank you
Barry

barryjyoung
30-Mar-2022, 05:47
Series type lens hoods without threading would be easy to 'print' to order for slip-on applications

I have many, but never the right one

I am in the same boat. and yes, this would also be a product I want to produce. 3d printed ones would be cheap, aluminum would be very nice.

Thank you

Barry

Sal Santamaura
30-Mar-2022, 12:41

Hi Sal:
Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I am interested in producing. I need to have one in my hand to take measurements from. Any idea how I can get one for a few days?
Thank you
Barry

Hi Barry,

I've gone to great lengths trying to purchase a replacement part, checking with U.S. Horseman repair shops and even having Bellamy Hunt ("Japan Camera Hunter") contact the current owner of Horseman. The part is no longer available. Some have suggested purchasing a complete used camera just to scrounge the needed item, but that's too expensive as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I am rather reticent to (pardon the pun) part with my intact FA locking lever.

The potential good news is that I'm a retired engineer in possession of digital calipers and experience making measurements. If you think that approach has merit, contact me via PM and we can discuss how to proceed.

Tin Can
30-Mar-2022, 14:21
As mechanic not engineer

I carry a tiny screwdriver with my VH

I usually have the friction stop adjusted just right to focus and hold position, works for me

tinker and tune

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:14
Thank you. I am sorry I put it in the wrong place.

Barry

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:22
Hi Sal:

Your Horseman lever is a possibility. I mean it can be made using the equipment I have. The problem is that unless others also need that lever it is VERY expensive to do multiple set ups, and sourcing of materials, and programming for one or even a small number of parts.

Anybody else need a lever for a Horseman?

Barry

Hi Barry,

I've gone to great lengths trying to purchase a replacement part, checking with U.S. Horseman repair shops and even having Bellamy Hunt ("Japan Camera Hunter") contact the current owner of Horseman. The part is no longer available. Some have suggested purchasing a complete used camera just to scrounge the needed item, but that's too expensive as far as I'm concerned. Thus, I am rather reticent to (pardon the pun) part with my intact FA locking lever.

The potential good news is that I'm a retired engineer in possession of digital calipers and experience making measurements. If you think that approach has merit, contact me via PM and we can discuss how to proceed.

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:25
Hi:

You might consider making them yourself. It is not difficult. I wrote a book called Modern Bellowsmaking that explains the entire process. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Barry

Bellows. Custom Bellows in the UK is superb but I would love to have a closer option of comparable quality.

Tin Can
2-May-2022, 05:26
I want 2!

Hi Sal:

Your Horseman lever is a possibility. I mean it can be made using the equipment I have. The problem is that unless others also need that lever it is VERY expensive to do multiple set ups, and sourcing of materials, and programming for one or even a small number of parts.

Anybody else need a lever for a Horseman?

Barry

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:27
Hi Brian:

Is there much demand for these spools?

Thank you

Barry

620 and 122 film spools

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:28
Hi Oren:
I will kick this idea around.
Thank you

Barry

Metal lens boards for the 3.25x4.25 Pacemaker Crown and Speed Graphics. They're smaller than the 4x5 boards, larger than the 2.25x3.25 boards, very hard to find, and not so easy to make without a well-equipped shop.

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:31
Yes sir, MO is my forever home.

I would love to talk with you. You have given me much good advice over the years.

Where are you?

Barry

Is MO your new location?

If so 3 hours from me if I still drove infernal machines

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:34
Hi Tin Can:

I use a Packard that I brought back from the grave on my 11x14 Korona.

No idea why they are not more popular. When your exposure times are from 20 seconds to 4 minutes, Packard's work fine.

Hey, I am in SE Missouri, let's have lunch.

Barry

Cheaply for profit

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:37
That many?

OK you guys, what are these silly weak kneed Horseman levers made of?

Barry

I want 2!

barryjyoung
2-May-2022, 05:43
Thank you to everyone who responded .

OK, I will be making slip on filter holders.

I need to know what sizes are hard to find. I was going to make some for my Cambo's anyway.

Just let me know what size lens barrels you need to fit, and also what kind of filter you want to put on. It seems like a silly question, but some want screw on, some want series and some want gelatin filters.

Please be specific. I know it hurts, but you can actually be specific. Most of the complaints people have with machine shops is that they get what they ordered and then pitch a fit because it does not fit. So measure accurately or take it to someone who can.

Thank you, thank you very much (My Elvis voice doesn't really work while typing)

Barry

Tin Can
2-May-2022, 05:44
Maybe 3!

I think they are cast hollow aluminium or Zinc

I will send one to MO as sample

I have a pile of Horseman

That many?

OK you guys, what are these silly weak kneed Horseman levers made of?

Barry

Sal Santamaura
2-May-2022, 08:18
...OK you guys, what are these silly weak kneed Horseman levers made of?...

...I think they are cast hollow aluminium or Zinc...

Yes, they look like castings, and I defer to Randy on the material. However, as mentioned earlier in this thread:

...I've been moving the similar, but more robust, lever from my Horseman FA back and forth. Both appear to be castings, but the VH's lever was hollow rather than solid...

Any replacement you make should be solid rather than hollow. VH and FA versions are completely interchangeable. However, breakage occurs in the hollow VH samples but not the solid FA type.

Jody_S
2-May-2022, 14:18
Something that's getting harder to find: universal iris.

Havoc
3-May-2022, 02:08
- a scanner that sits between a flatbed and a drum that could take to 8x10
- centerfilters for wide angles

Tin Can
3-May-2022, 05:26
I do not think we have a profitable Hoseman project

Not much response, I can still use mine just fine

I will still ship OP the broken part, but I am missing the lever part, have the captive ring

Mine broke the very first time I used the barely used camera

I bought it on this forum, from a lapsed member years ago

He howled when I mentioned it and blamed me

I kept the camera, but I will never buy from that GUY ever again

I also have a 2X3 Hoseman that will not accept common plastic DDS, but wood DDS fit

I really like Hoseman camera which have many very useful features and top build quality

I and a another member have long looked for the 5X7 set

Maybe I make one with Calumet parts, maybe not

Maybe 3!

I think they are cast hollow aluminium or Zinc

I will send one to MO as sample

I have a pile of Horseman

Xiggy
9-May-2022, 11:04
Decent copy stand at affordable price. Nice if light was incorporated in base.

John Layton
10-May-2022, 06:49
Low profile quick release with large (4x5 inch-ish footprint) plate.

Plate should be slotted to allow for one or two 3/8" (or 1/4" as option) screws to be adjustable to particular camera specs. Base should incorporate similar slot to accommodate one or two threaded screws (so would attach with two screws to my Gitzo magnesium head, for example). Idea here being that things don't come loose and start spinning - (which is a PITA!)

Profile of locking mechanism and knob needs to rest below the profile of the plate (locking knob moves below the upper plane), so even if camera base is larger there would be no interference (thus avoiding another PITA!).

Oh...and make this lightweight - maybe magnesium? Gee...thanks! :)

Sal Santamaura
10-May-2022, 08:45

Plate should be slotted to allow for one or two 3/8" (or 1/4" as option) screws to be adjustable to particular camera specs. Base should incorporate similar slot to accommodate one or two threaded screws (so would attach with two screws to my Gitzo magnesium head, for example). Idea here being that things don't come loose and start spinning - (which is a PITA!)

Profile of locking mechanism and knob needs to rest below the profile of the plate (locking knob moves below the upper plane), so even if camera base is larger there would be no interference (thus avoiding another PITA!).

Oh...and make this lightweight - maybe magnesium? Gee...thanks! :)Aluminum, not magnesium, but for the plate:

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsDetail.aspx?gId=1143

Any Arca-compatible low profile lever-locking clamp (I prefer RRS) on the head of your choice.

John Layton
10-May-2022, 10:46
Gee...thanks! :)

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 06:35
Ok

maybe 3!

I think they are cast hollow aluminium or zinc

i will send one to mo as sample

i have a pile of horseman

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 06:52
Hi Tin Can:

So with any kind of manufacturing, Cheaply happens with big numbers of a particular item. Nothing having to do with large format comes close to enough units to allow "cheaply". The problem is not with the manufacturers but with the spoiled rotten consumers. We are all spoiled because things mass produced are astounding bargains. Look at a ball point pen (the cheapo ones they give away at the bank where you save all that money buy buying mass produced goods), Under a quarter. They literally make them by the millions. What if you only wanted one? The first simple ball point pen off the assembly line is worth EASILY over a million dollars. All the set up of the machines, sourcing the raw materials, training of the staff, purchasing the machinery, leasing or buying the property, wiring the machines, paying the designers, the draftsmen, programmers, quality control people, toolmakers, machinists, getting boxes printed, and buying the toilet paper all have to happen. Now because we never buy anything that is not mass produced, when we ask for someone to make one custom thing for us, we are not ready for the price when it gets quoted. But all those expenses still exist if we make one or a million of something. Why is this hard to understand?

So no, cheaply and for profit only go together with huge order quantities.

Barry

Cheaply for profit

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:02
Hi Sal:

A problem I have with working from other peoples measurements is that if I make something to their measurements and it does not fit they still blame me and expect me to do it again even though their measurements were incorrect. So you are an engineer, with calipers, does that mean you know how to measure? I am a toolmaker with a computer, it does not make me an engineer. I think Tin Can is going to send me a Horseman lever to take measurements from. Once that happens, I will make sure to make some extras and let you know.
Hi Barry,

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:06
Hi Sal:

They will be solid, and probably made from steel. I need one in my hand to be certain.

Barry

Yes, they look like castings, and I defer to Randy on the material. However, as mentioned earlier in this thread:

Any replacement you make should be solid rather than hollow. VH and FA versions are completely interchangeable. However, breakage occurs in the hollow VH samples but not the solid FA type.

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:10
Jodi:

I do not do stamping for customers I am afraid. Only for my own products. The tooling costs to make iris diaphragm's of any configuration are prohibitive. I have five punch presses, so I do that work, but this is not the sort of thing that is easy to do. Thank you for the idea.
Barry

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:13
Havoc:

Perhaps contact Carl Zeiss, Epson or Nikon on the scanner.
And for the center filters, maybe Hoya?

Thank you
Barry

- a scanner that sits between a flatbed and a drum that could take to 8x10
- centerfilters for wide angles

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:16
I do not think we have a profitable Hoseman project

Not much response, I can still use mine just fine

I will still ship OP the broken part, but I am missing the lever part, have the captive ring

Mine broke the very first time I used the barely used camera

I bought it on this forum, from a lapsed member years ago

He howled when I mentioned it and blamed me

I kept the camera, but I will never buy from that GUY ever again

I also have a 2X3 Hoseman that will not accept common plastic DDS, but wood DDS fit

I really like Hoseman camera which have many very useful features and top build quality

I and a another member have long looked for the 5X7 set

Maybe I make one with Calumet parts, maybe not

Tin Can:

I sent you a mailing address. Hopefully we can get you two fixed up.

Barry

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:21
Hi Xiggy:

I use an Omega C67 enlarger with the lamphouse removed. It has a 1/4-20 screw that screws into the monorail clamp of one of my Cambo cameras which makes an ideal copy camera with the reflex viewer attached. For light panel, I use one I picked up from eBay. The combination is excellent.

So I will not be making copy stands or light panels.

Thank you

Barry

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 07:29
Hi John:

Your description could result in at least 8 configurations. Can you draw what you need? it does not have to be a pro drawing, just something with important measurements and general shapes. I do not want to make something and then hear that I made it wrong because the description given to me could have been interpreted a different way than you intended it to be interpreted. For example, I need a lever, bent, about 10-26 inches or so, it needs three holes drilled and tapped to fit the screw I am holding in my hand. It should have holes in the end and on the back should be engraved with the makers name and address upside down. Can you make it? I am not making fun, but rather showing you what I saw when I read the description.

Thank you

Barry

Oh...and make this lightweight - maybe magnesium? Gee...thanks! :)

Sal Santamaura
19-May-2022, 08:37
...I think Tin Can is going to send me a Horseman lever to take measurements from. Once that happens, I will make sure to make some extras and let you know.

Tin Can:

I sent you a mailing address. Hopefully we can get you two fixed up.

Barry

Barry, if Randy ("Tin Can") hasn't sent you a broken lever (he wrote that he only has the "hub," not an entire lever), I've found the remnants of my broken VH lever and can send you that. I have both the "hub" and the handle end of my broken VH lever, but not the hollow, v-shape center section of the lever, which flew away when it broke. I can measure the overall length of my FA lever which, as previously mentioned, is interchangeable with the VH lever and works perfectly on the VH. See images.

If you'd like me to mail the pieces, PM me your address.

Sal

Tin Can
19-May-2022, 09:17
Barry, if Randy ("Tin Can") hasn't sent you a broken lever (he wrote that he only has the "hub," not an entire lever), I've found the remnants of my broken VH lever and can send you that. I have both the "hub" and the handle end of my broken VH lever, but not the hollow, v-shape center section of the lever, which flew away when it broke. I can measure the overall length of my FA lever which, as previously mentioned, is interchangeable with the VH lever and works perfectly on the VH. See images.

If you'd like me to mail the pieces, PM me your address.

Sal

Hi guys

I just removed my tiny bit of plastic

The top screw as seen in Sal's pic is right hand thread, no washer

It fits on a tiny 'proud' square post

That post is left hand bottom male thread with a tiny washer, the whole assembly came out

I cannot ship until next week in a rather large box so it doesn't get crushed in the cancelling machine

Since Sal has both broken pieces....

barryjyoung
19-May-2022, 10:41
Hi Randy:

Yes, I messaged Sal with my address.
I hope you will both send levers, it would be nice to know how tight the tolerance is by comparing more pieces.

Thank you

Barry Young

Hi guys

I just removed my tiny bit of plastic

The top screw as seen in Sal's pic is right hand thread, no washer

It fits on a tiny 'proud' square post

That post is left hand bottom male thread with a tiny washer, the whole assembly came out

I cannot ship until next week in a rather large box so it doesn't get crushed in the cancelling machine

Since Sal has both broken pieces....

Vaidotas
19-May-2022, 12:57
Universal iris clamp. There are ways to substitute it but it took quite long time to accept that investment.

Studio column stand. They are always for pick it up and always a bit far away.

pdmoylan
19-May-2022, 14:02
Linhof bellows that aren't red or blue!

barryjyoung
20-May-2022, 05:54
Hello:

Thanks for commenting.

I will not be making iris clamps. I need my punch presses set up for a job they are already running.

Studio stands are a possibility. It is not really a question of making the stands, it is a question of how to get cheapskate photographers to pay for limited run or custom items. If there are stands available anywhere, at any price they will be less expensive than custom ones. I recently had to fly from Seattle to LA and back to pick up a very good, very very rare microscope that was being sold by Goodwill and they would not ship it. This is how the world works. I mean sure I can make you a studio stand, but it will not be a bargain. Unless 50 or so people want them. The casting patterns alone is a three month job. So, unless we can spread the costs over many people buying them, they would be prohibitively expensive.

Thank you

Barry

Universal iris clamp. There are ways to substitute it but it took quite long time to accept that investment.

Studio column stand. They are always for pick it up and always a bit far away.

barryjyoung
20-May-2022, 05:55
Contact Custom Bellows

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Barry

Linhof bellows that aren't red or blue!

Tin Can
20-May-2022, 06:55
Many threw out Arkay Studio stands (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Arkay%20Camera%20Stand&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JyUBhCuARIsANUqQ_L7FHp0S1-E4dtqdiLBt4EZNkKUfvfnIaJCCg7QAK2PGi1OMki62YQaAt6JEALw_wcB)

Since I was handicapped 10 years ago, both the ones I have were loaded by happy and 2 different Pro Studios

Roger Thoms
20-May-2022, 17:37

Since Barry replied indicating that a universal iris isn’t something he would make, l’ll mention that Chamonix makes them. Check under accessories on their website.

Roger

bmikiten
20-May-2022, 18:48
I've been looking for Sinar polyester filters (or any optically clear filter) for B/W photography for months.

pdmoylan
20-May-2022, 19:31
Contact Custom Bellows

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Barry

Thank you and will do!

Bernice Loui
20-May-2022, 20:31
Why Sinar brand for B&W filters only?
Know Sinar filters (both sizes 100mm & 125mm) were made by Hitech in UK back in the day.

Easier to purchase new from Lee, Hitech and others today as that plastic filter technology has matured and widely produced.
The cinema folks go for high quality optical glass square or rectangular filters made by Schneider, Tiffen and others. These work GOOD, just add $$$ per filter.

Bernice

I've been looking for Sinar polyester filters (or any optically clear filter) for B/W photography for months.

bmikiten
21-May-2022, 06:21
Thanks. I didn't know HiTech made them. I have rectangular holders and lots of different lenses so buying a bunch of round standard screw-in doesn't make sense. I have a full set of Sinar filters but wanted another of the B/W for another camera case.

Bernice Loui
21-May-2022, 12:34
Not just Hitech, Cokin, Lee, Schneider, Tiffen and others make high quality square filters.

Been using these plastic filters for decades, they have held up remarkably good.

Bernice

Thanks. I didn't know HiTech made them. I have rectangular holders and lots of different lenses so buying a bunch of round standard screw-in doesn't make sense. I have a full set of Sinar filters but wanted another of the B/W for another camera case.

Jody_S
21-May-2022, 13:34
Since Barry replied indicating that a universal iris isn’t something he would make, l’ll mention that Chamonix makes them. Check under accessories on their website.

Roger

Really. I'll have to check that out, thanks.

barryjyoung
22-May-2022, 03:38
Sorry, I only make mechanical parts. I wish I had the capability to make optical components.

Barry

barryjyoung
22-May-2022, 03:39
Lucky studios, I like Arkay products.

Barry

Many threw out Arkay Studio stands (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Arkay%20Camera%20Stand&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JyUBhCuARIsANUqQ_L7FHp0S1-E4dtqdiLBt4EZNkKUfvfnIaJCCg7QAK2PGi1OMki62YQaAt6JEALw_wcB)

Since I was handicapped 10 years ago, both the ones I have were loaded by happy and 2 different Pro Studios

barryjyoung
22-May-2022, 03:41
Thank you Bernice.

Barry

[/B]
Why Sinar brand for B&W filters only?
Know Sinar filters (both sizes 100mm & 125mm) were made by Hitech in UK back in the day.

Easier to purchase new from Lee, Hitech and others today as that plastic filter technology has matured and widely produced.
The cinema folks go for high quality optical glass square or rectangular filters made by Schneider, Tiffen and others. These work GOOD, just add $$$ per filter.

Bernice

Tin Can
22-May-2022, 03:51
Some may want dip tanks, most out of production

I love my Arkay Gas Burst tanks and Arkay sink

Lucky studios, I like Arkay products.

Barry

barryjyoung
23-May-2022, 05:16
Hi Randy:

My only complaint is that Arkay only makes equipment for miniature cameras like 8x10 film. I shoot 11x14, so I have to make almost all processing gear myself. No more than I shoot, a processing tray works. It just isn't ideal.

Barry

Some may want dip tanks, most out of production

I love my Arkay Gas Burst tanks and Arkay sink

Tin Can
23-May-2022, 05:39
There was a member making ULF plastic tanks

He sold some and quit years ago

Hi Randy:

My only complaint is that Arkay only makes equipment for miniature cameras like 8x10 film. I shoot 11x14, so I have to make almost all processing gear myself. No more than I shoot, a processing tray works. It just isn't ideal.

Barry

Tin Can
23-May-2022, 05:46
I use 14X36" X-Ray occasionally

I put clips on the extremes and seesaw the sheet by hand in 3" of Ilford PQ Universal Developer, water stop, TF5

Both chems are put back in 3 gallon floating lids for more usage

Wash is short too

Fast ULF processing

Makes for very quick processing under red safe light

barryjyoung
23-May-2022, 12:26
Holy Moly! 14x36??? Wowee!
I use 14X36" X-Ray occasionally

I put clips on the extremes and seesaw the sheet by hand in 3" of Ilford PQ Universal Developer, water stop, TF5

Both chems are put back in 3 gallon floating lids for more usage

Wash is short too

Fast ULF processing

Makes for very quick processing under red safe light

barryjyoung
23-May-2022, 12:28
It is amazing how things go. One of the members sent me a broken focus lock lever for his Horseman. I am going to make two members stronger, more amazing versions of this lever which apparently is a weak part of the design. So, if you know anyone who has a Horseman that needs a lever, this is the time to let me know.

Thanks folks.

Barry

Tin Can
23-May-2022, 13:17
Hi Barry

First, I try real hard to avoid PM which are like 'Secret Messages' from our childhood, good for selling, but I move to more secure eMail ASAP. We have had outages on LFPF. Especially for money matters. Get emails as needed. Catch 22, you should use PM right after first contact.

2: I want a lever! Whenever!

3: I am working on a simple 14X36" camera, to suit me...

$ I have 125+ sheets of that film. I made tests at my Chicago DR, then moved it all rural. My 14X36 test were enlarged internegatives then put in my backlit windows to see if they faded in a year and for passerby amusement. Busy street.

I am known as NOT ART, TIN CAN and more elsewhere.

not art pisses some artists off, a handle for me 23 years, many wannabees

I plan to Alt Print by contact print, that system is ready

My iPad is whispering to me, first for me

Holy Moly! 14x36??? Wowee!

jp
25-May-2022, 11:05
From Flutot's website:
Lastly, Ilex #5's are getting more and more difficult to repair Their parts are failing because of age and replacement parts are hard to find. At this point, Ilex #5's are a 50/50 proposition.

If there are particular parts you can make for these, it would keep alive many valuable lenses like the kodak 305 portrait and big commecial ektar lenses. I don't know enough about shutter repair to suggest which parts need to be made.

barryjyoung
4-Jun-2022, 17:08
Howdy:

My new shop is in a metal building. A metal building in the sun is like an oven. I added a second AC unit two days ago and it was still over 80 degrees inside. The thing weighed over 80 pounds and was installed 14 feet above the floor.

But, it is beginning to get done. Another week or so and I will be able to start wiring for machines.

I will get your levers and Sal's levers done as soon as I can.

Just wanted to touch base.
Hi Barry

First, I try real hard to avoid PM which are like 'Secret Messages' from our childhood, good for selling, but I move to more secure eMail ASAP. We have had outages on LFPF. Especially for money matters. Get emails as needed. Catch 22, you should use PM right after first contact.

2: I want a lever! Whenever!

3: I am working on a simple 14X36" camera, to suit me...

$ I have 125+ sheets of that film. I made tests at my Chicago DR, then moved it all rural. My 14X36 test were enlarged internegatives then put in my backlit windows to see if they faded in a year and for passerby amusement. Busy street.

I am known as NOT ART, TIN CAN and more elsewhere.

not art pisses some artists off, a handle for me 23 years, many wannabees

I plan to Alt Print by contact print, that system is ready

My iPad is whispering to me, first for me

barryjyoung
7-Jun-2022, 04:30
Friends:

A huge setback has occurred. It turns out that the home I purchased in Missouri has bugs. So I am currently taking things out of it and preparing for fumigation.

I will keep you in the loop.

Thank you

Barry

barryjyoung
9-Jun-2022, 21:00
Thank you, I will talk to Carol.

Barry

From Flutot's website:
Lastly, Ilex #5's are getting more and more difficult to repair Their parts are failing because of age and replacement parts are hard to find. At this point, Ilex #5's are a 50/50 proposition.

If there are particular parts you can make for these, it would keep alive many valuable lenses like the kodak 305 portrait and big commecial ektar lenses. I don't know enough about shutter repair to suggest which parts need to be made.

Pete Roody
15-Jun-2022, 12:52
For larger lenses, LUC shutters are nice. But the larger sizes are getting harder to source and sell for allot. It would be great if they could be manufactured again.228184

jnantz
15-Jun-2022, 13:19
I'm looking for an adapter plate that will allow me to use my Empire State ( century ) back on my No. 8 Century, sadly no backs fit on the camera except the exact back that came with the camera. one came up on ebay a few months ago, the first time in 18 years, and I missed it! a friend (cabinet maker) was going to make one for me but he slipped and fell and passed away soon after...

barryjyoung
16-Jun-2022, 07:23
Thank you for this. As I get farther down this road that may become a possibility. Those prices are spectacular. I guess it has been a while since that was printed. Thanks again.

Barry

For larger lenses, LUC shutters are nice. But the larger sizes are getting harder to source and sell for allot. It would be great if they could be manufactured again.228184

barryjyoung
16-Jun-2022, 07:31
Hi jnantz:

Sorry you lost your friend.

Yes, this is something I could do fairly easily. Is there a market to make more than one?

I am not into price gouging, but if there is only demand for one, the price will seem ridiculous. If I can sell 5000 of something, the development, sourcing, inventorying and all the other "ings" are not spread over 5000 customers. They are still expenses I incur however.

So, do you have 4999 friends who also need one of these adapters? Just kidding. If I have material in stock and the design process is not too involved, it only seems ridiculously expensive rather than astronomically to have a custom part designed and fabricated.

Thanks for the request. I will let you guys know here when I am ready to start taking orders.

Barry

I'm looking for an adapter plate that will allow me to use my Empire State ( century ) back on my No. 8 Century, sadly no backs fit on the camera except the exact back that came with the camera. one came up on ebay a few months ago, the first time in 18 years, and I missed it! a friend (cabinet maker) was going to make one for me but he slipped and fell and passed away soon after...

barryjyoung
16-Jun-2022, 07:40
All hail the pest control experts who eradicated my new homes bugs.

They heated the entire house to 140 degrees for 8 hours. They started at 8AM and I was unable to sleep until 3AM due to residual heat.

At any rate, that nightmare appears to be over. Now there is just one (of 32) pallets left to unload. The shop is totally trashed as I try to sort all the stuff. The fellows who packed my workshop up in Tacoma WA grabbed a box, put a large item in it, then poured small things like fasteners around them to fill the box.
The fasteners and stuff were completely sorted by diameter and thread pitch. Now everything has to be sorted and stored. This will take a month or two. Then I need to add wiring to all the machines and get them all up and running, that will take an additional couple of months, then I will be ready. I got the time clock mounted to the wall so that when farmers come and want me to interrupt making cameras, I can punch a time card and tell them my hourly rate which should scare 90 percent of them off.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Friends:

A huge setback has occurred. It turns out that the home I purchased in Missouri has bugs. So I am currently taking things out of it and preparing for fumigation.

I will keep you in the loop.

Thank you

Barry

Sal Santamaura
2-Nov-2022, 16:55
Still no critical rush, but just curious how things are going, Barry. Hope all's well.

barryjyoung
6-Apr-2023, 10:11
Hello Sal:

The shop is up and running and complete after moving it 2200 miles. I will be pursuing your project the moment I find it again. My apprentice is very interested in each and every project we come across. I have not forgotten about you at all. I still have your example part and am intending to actually make it as soon as possible. It is here somewhere, I just need to locate it. The problem is that my wife was away tending to a very sick (now deceased) father during the move so I had to pack everything in thew house while a couple of trusted neighbors packed the workshop. This was necessary because we had already sold the house when Mrs. Wonderful disappeared to Ohio for three months. As a result, the boys would take a large packing carton, put something medium size in it then pour fasteners and small parts around it. I sorted for 3 months straight, then some stuff came up which I had to attend to. As soon as I find it, we will make your lever. I am SO sorry for the wait, you have been very patient and I appreciate it.

Barry Young

Sal Santamaura
6-Apr-2023, 10:52
No problem at all, Barry. Thanks for the update.