PDA

View Full Version : How Many Are Truly Traditional or Latest Film Followers

Tin Can
26-Mar-2022, 09:26
What I mean is, are we like war reenactors or Shakespearean actors
THE HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN PICTURES (https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/history-photography)

Some use the latest LF Color Film in a new camera. Great!

The more I learn of LF the more I want to be 'retro'

I have settled on 1895 give or take a lot

I like that era as technology took off, good bicycles, cars on the brink and everything else

I like to think X-Ray film is old film and we can make our own glass plates, emulation emulsions

Photography became easy for all

I like the quality of Cycle Cameras that were made for cyclists...

Then the Art, Not Art wars .....LOL

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pict/hd_pict.htm

are we doomed, I say, Doomed to repeat herstory

our muse is surely female

Duolab123
26-Mar-2022, 09:58
What I mean is, are we like war reenactors or Shakespearean actors
THE HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN PICTURES (https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/history-photography)

Some use the latest LF Color Film in a new camera. Great!

The more I learn of LF the more I want to be 'retro'

I have settled on 1895 give or take a lot

I like that era as technology took off, good bicycles, cars on the brink and everything else

I like to think X-Ray film is old film and we can make our own glass plates, emulation emulsions

Photography became easy for all

I like the quality of Cycle Cameras that were made for cyclists...

Then the Art, Not Art wars .....LOL

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pict/hd_pict.htm

are we doomed, I say, Doomed to repeat herstory

our muse is surely female

You picked a great era. The photos that come up in your link are amazing. Cycling and photography were high tech, like Apple today in the late 19th century. The Flatiron building and "the blessed are thou among women" are stunningly beautiful.
I would include the period upto WWII. Good thread Tin Can!
Best Regards Mike

Michael R
26-Mar-2022, 11:41
It’s arbitrary and a matter of taste/interest. Wet plate, dry plate, Tri-X, TMax, everyone do what they want and enjoy.

xkaes
26-Mar-2022, 12:12
Large format -- whatever that is -- is like the rest of photography -- a UNIVERSE TO EXPLORE!!!!

Alan9940
26-Mar-2022, 13:43
I still shoot dry plates and would still be shooting Kodak Super-XX if it was still available. But then, me and dirt have a lot in common! ;)

Vaughn
26-Mar-2022, 15:05
I am using the same recipe patented by Sir Swan in 1864 to make carbon prints. The materials have changed a little, certainly easier to get and better quality (gelatins, pigments, etc) since then, but the prints are just as lovely.
Cameras and lenses are 20th Century, though.

Two23
26-Mar-2022, 15:56
I'm pretty eclectic. I have lenses from the 1840s to the 1990s, and use many different formats of cameras. It's all fun.

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
26-Mar-2022, 17:38
Is this a they don't make 'em like they used to thread?:confused:

r.e.
26-Mar-2022, 17:59

I don't know about the thread, but that isn't what the UK museum's article is about :) One reason that some of the photographs relate to industrial England is that the museum is in Bradford, which is portrayed in some of the photographs.

Drew Wiley
26-Mar-2022, 19:14
Are there ANY "traditional" films left except Triassic-X ?

Tin Can
27-Mar-2022, 03:45
Ilford Ortho Plus film, Arista Ortho and all analog X-Ray films

I know our oldest and most esteemed member, Jim Noel shoots only this type of film in huge quantifiers

Jim has posted that many times

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?136342-Ilford-Ortho-Plus-film/page2

I don't care about color film since Kodachrome disappeared

DIGI makes very good color, approved by nearly ALL humans

Non humans please speak up

I shoot X-Ray for frugality, pleasure and reenactment

Vaughn
27-Mar-2022, 08:20

No, I still make carbons like they use to...

Drew Wiley
28-Mar-2022, 13:33
Digi color is crippled. Might look OK on a screen - but once ya try to print it, an awful lot gets lost in translation, especially with inkjet. Digit was the one who wasn't fully human; he was a caged Gorilla who communicated in sign language. His coloring book wasn't all that impressive either.

But I immediately detected some hypocrisy when Ortho plus was mentioned (a very recent film), Aristo Ortho Litho, another relatively recent line, now in its fourth generational tweak, quite a bit different from old Agfa or Kodak lith films, but equally wretched for con-tone imagery, if that is what qualifies something as a truly traditional. Yep, streaks and smudges and fingerprints have graced photos ever since the beginning, if that is what one if after. I know how to achieve that with any film, even the latest! Just don't want to.

Duolab123
28-Mar-2022, 14:19
I made some RA4 prints yesterday. Slightly cropped Ektar, Hasselblad negative, approximately 5X enlargement. Large negatives (or small prints), are required to make nice analog prints, that's for sure and certain. I moved my color processors into my utility room, I've got to take a bit of a break from color. We are in brown season for another few weeks here. I need to wait for color and 4x5 negatives before playing with RA4. Should be a month.
Meanwhile I have a couple boxes of Ilford warmtone paper to get to.:o

Drew Wiley
28-Mar-2022, 15:32
I don't know if RA4 printing is classified as "traditional" or not. By the parameters of this thread, I guess it all depends if Neanderthals had full color vision or not. They apparently did respond to the color of red ochre. But so do bulls. I have no idea when my RA4 paper is going to get here. Been waiting six months so far.

Tin Can
28-Mar-2022, 15:34
I guess you didn't read I miss Kodachrome

Seen the fun movie twice

Drew Wiley
28-Mar-2022, 15:56
We ALL miss Kodachrome! But it went extinct in sheet film version long before my own experience with it, which thankfully, was mostly the 25 speed version, not 64.

Tin Can
5-Apr-2022, 04:56
1895 cycle camera I have several Poco VGC

https://www.google.com/search?q=1895+cycle+camera&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwimoJ607vz2AhUJFM0KHTIrDEEQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=1895+cycle+camera&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIHCCMQ7wMQJ1DWD1jWD2CuHGgAcAB4AIABSIgBiwGSAQEymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=2C1MYqbUCYmotAay1rCIBA&bih=486&biw=1024&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS850US850

I'd like to know more about these Cycle Cameras. My Deardorff and Chamonix 810s make for great cycling cameras in my daily use so I can't complain, but it sounds interesting.

Tin Can
5-Apr-2022, 06:04
http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=510

The POCO survive well if stored closed in OE case. The leather case will self destruct yet save the contents

I have perfect red Russian bellows and darn good leather on top of amazing woodwork

Shutters can be a problem as every person for 127 years tested that

Many ways around that problem, good lens glass is nice to have