PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Master View w/ MPEX lens boards

Mike Lopez
18-Mar-2006, 17:24
I have a Kodak Master View (8x10) that I picked up on eBay several months ago. Haven't used it yet, for lack of holders, the right tripod, and lens boards. I just bought a board from Midwest Photo Exchange, and it is proving to be a b*tch to mount a lens on my camera. Have any of you used one of these boards with this camera? It would be nice not to need a screwdriver to switch lenses in the field. It would be even nicer if the attachment at least "looked" more definite. Thanks.

Mike

Henry Ambrose
18-Mar-2006, 17:38
I have the same situation but I don't know the source of my board. It seems to be older rather than new but its a pain to take on and off. To mount mine I push real hard with my thumbs on the top of the board while I support the front standard with all my fingers. It snaps into position then I slide the top latch down. Its the only thing I don't like about this camera (man, I love everything else). Call Jim at MPEX and ask him, he's a straight shooter and couldn't be a better guy to deal with.

Tony Karnezis
18-Mar-2006, 19:59
http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/AzoForum/one.asp?ID=4085&PgNo=3&GID=4085&CID=10

I haven't used any boards except those made for & sold by Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee. They're brand new, fit perfectly, look good, and cost $95 (+S/H). Highly recommended.

Mike Lopez
18-Mar-2006, 22:12
Thanks for the input. Henry, it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. Tony, the last time I talked to Michael about this, I think he was temporarily out of them. That was awhile back. I might have to try again.

Philip_5765
18-Mar-2006, 22:37
I've bought two of them from MPEX and never had a problem with my KMV. What exactly is the problem?

M.

Mike Lopez
18-Mar-2006, 23:24
Hi Morgan,

The little instruction slip that came with my board says to loosen the screws on the sliding board holders, and indeed, I need to loosen mine quite a bit. I'm not sure if these boards are significantly thicker than the original camera design intended for, but I need to almost take the screws out entirely, jam the board under the sliders, and screw the sliders back down. But at this point, the top one is stretched out of its original plane, which gives me two concerns. One, how firmly is the board really attached, and if I put a Copal 3 lens on the camera, will I be in for a nasty surprise? And two, is there now the possibility of light leaks with the top slider being "stretched?" Oh, and three, I don't want to have to remember to have a Phillips screwdriver with me whenever I plan to change lenses in the field. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I've never had to take anything apart to change lenses on my 4x5. How do you get yours to work? Thanks.

William Mortensen
19-Mar-2006, 09:19
As a victim of Galli's Syndrome, (I have way too many old lenses I like to play with), I converted my KMV to take a standard 6" square lens board. Otherwise, I'd be facing thousands of dollars for custom boards. Now I can switch lenses back and forth between the KMV and my old 2D, and I can knock out a couple dozen lensboard blanks in a couple of hours for maybe a buck each.

The way the KMV screws together in the front assembly, it's not a hard conversion, maybe a long afternoon's work. And as you can run tiny bolts through the existing holes to hold the new receptor in place, you can convert it back to it's original configuration later.

Alternatively, if your lenses are reletavely compact, consider having one KMV board cut out as an adaptor to take a smaller size lensboard.

Henry Ambrose
19-Mar-2006, 09:55
Maybe what Mark wrote is a good solution?

There's a Chinese made Linhof Technika style adaptor on eBay that I've been thinking about screwing and epoxing onto the KMV board I have now. Every lens I currently own will fit on Technika boards, but I've been thinking about some lenses that won't because of rear element size so I'm kinda stuck on go. Maybe a 6" conversion is better looking forward. Of course Grimes can make whatever adaptor you'd want if you're not handy.

For me, the KMV lensboard design is not the greatest. Too complicated to manufacture and mine does not work nearly as well as simpler designs. But so far my big 300mm Fujinon f5.6 in Copal 3 has not fallen off - scary thought!

Mike, I have mine adjusted so that it snaps into place. That leaves the bottom retainer plate screws only a bit loose. After the first couple of times using a screwdirver to mount the lensboard I just kept fooling with and got it to snap. Its still less than confidence inspiring in the amount of engagement on the board.

I may take mine apart this afternoon and see what I can rig up thats better.

Philip_5765
19-Mar-2006, 12:58
Hey,

They must have someone new making their boards. The last time I bought one (about a year ag) it just came in a plastic baggy with no instructions. It fit right in.

M

Patrick Kolb
20-Mar-2006, 16:19
Mike,

If this is Mike Lopez from Portland, call me, I have some KMV boards that might work.