PDA

View Full Version : What to use for cheap fixer in tank processing

Rhyno214
20-Mar-2022, 07:24
Hello all, i am looking for recommendations for a fixer to use for tank processing my 11x14 xray negatives. As I can't find mammogram film, I'll have to use double emulsion and I don't have a good way of doing it thus far. I am now thinking about going with tank processing as I've seen good things about it. Rodinal seems to be cheap enough for my needs but I can't can't a fixer that makes it cost effective. The tanks I have are 5 gallon tanks and I'd hate to use an entire bottle of fixer every time I want to develop 6 sheets of film... any recommendations?

John Kasaian
20-Mar-2022, 07:47
To cut down on Chemistry, maybe look for one gallon vertical tanks? Or a Unicolor Processor with a Print drum?

Legacy EcoPro looks to be pretty economical.
https://www.freestylephoto.biz/1231296-LegacyPro-EcoPro-Neutral-Fixer-1-Gallon-(Makes-5-8-Gallons)

Tin Can
20-Mar-2022, 07:57
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/365109-REG/Ilford_1984565_Rapid_Fixer_Liquid_5_Liters.html

I use this and store in floating lids

xkaes
20-Mar-2022, 08:05
The cheapest way is to mix your own from raw chemicals -- but to make it really cheap, you buy to buy quite a bit, and that might be more than you need.

Two23
20-Mar-2022, 08:20
I use ammonium thiosulphate by the gallon jug, mixed 1:3 with distilled water. Film, dry plate, wet plate.

Kent in SD

Michael R
20-Mar-2022, 08:23
I think if high volumes are required this might indeed be the best option. If we assume these x-ray emulsions are conventional enough not to really require ammonium thiosulfate, you essentially need two relatively cheap dry ingredients and water:

Sodium thiosulfate
Sodium sulfite

For one-shot use you could even get away without the sulfite.

Ammonium thiosulfate would be best but is typically more expensive.

The cheapest way is to mix your own from raw chemicals -- but to make it really cheap, you buy to buy quite a bit, and that might be more than you need.

Duolab123
20-Mar-2022, 09:43
5 gallon cubitainer of Fuji color fixer or any generic. The Fuji Unilec?? Not sure of the exact name, but it's a universal fixer for C41 and E6. 5 gallon cubitainer makes 25 gallons of C41 fixer. I bought a cube a couple years ago, 1st quarter of 2020, everything was closed down, Unique photo in NJ, at that time they were offering free shipping on everything, business had stopped from the Covid. It was cheap then, not sure about today. This fixer keeps well.

Rhyno214
20-Mar-2022, 19:30
It seems like making my own is the best option. I already do that with pyrocat, so this shouldn't be a problem. I can't use a drum for fear of scratches, so it's tank development for me.

Duolab123
20-Mar-2022, 19:35
I have purchased sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate crystal from Ebay, it's nice clean material. It was a US seller. The crystal keeps forever. I think you can get it in 1 pound to 50 pound bags.

Rick A
20-Mar-2022, 19:37
To cut down on Chemistry, maybe look for one gallon vertical tanks? Or a Unicolor Processor with a Print drum?

Legacy EcoPro looks to be pretty economical.
https://www.freestylephoto.biz/1231296-LegacyPro-EcoPro-Neutral-Fixer-1-Gallon-(Makes-5-8-Gallons)

I've been using it for years. It is economical, out lasts most other fixers, good capacity even with double sided X ray film, long shelf life, low odor(which is why I switched to it), washes out easily, reducing water consumption.