PDA

View Full Version : Cooke 5 inch f3.5 Series XI lens' image circle?

avid1
17-Mar-2022, 22:23
Does anyone know the image circle of the Cooke 5inch f3.5 Series XI barrel lens? Does it adequately cover 4x5 with any movement? What shutter can it be mounted on? I can't find any useful info on this lens and I am curious. Thanks in advance.

Dugan
18-Mar-2022, 07:26
5" f3.5 is a common size for projector lenses.
It's possible you might have one of those?
If so, it might be challenging ( read: expensive ) to have mounted in a shutter.
Projector lenses can be fun when mounted to a lensboard and used on a Speed Graphic with the focal plane shutter...
I have couple and get some good "hip and now" swirly bokeh. :)

avid1
18-Mar-2022, 14:14
Thank you for the info, Dugan. I have a Speed Graphic that I can use it with, so the shutter is not too important, but I am still trying to figure out if it will cover 4x5 adequately with some rise. I don't have the lens, just contemplating if it is worth getting. Didn't know it is a projector lens, since this has a Series # like other Cooke photographic lenses. I am curious what indicates it to be a projector lens! Maybe because its smallest aperture is f16? 127mm FL is also common for the Graflex cameras. In any case, I am not a fan of the swirly distracting bokeh at all, if that's what this Series XI is known for. Thanks again.

Hugo Zhang
18-Mar-2022, 15:24
I have a 7 1/2 inch Cooke F/3.5 lens that covers 4x5. I guess 5 inch can cover 3x4 without movement for portraits.

Dugan
18-Mar-2022, 16:14
For clarification... I didn't say it was a projector lens.
No description or photos were included in OP's post.
If it has an aperture, it probably isn't a projector lens.
Photos help ID lenses.
Also: A GREAT resource for lens info is a sticky'd post at the beginning of the Lens subforum...courtesy of Dan Fromm.

avid1
18-Mar-2022, 16:36
Thanks, Hugo. I will check that as well.