PDA

View Full Version : Will I live to regret this? Film holder zip locked in the fridge

Certain Exposures
17-Mar-2022, 06:41
I shot two sheets of C-41. I knew that I wouldn't be developing them anytime soon, so I put the whole film holder in a zip lock bag in the fridge.

I am afraid.

I've been out in 20-degree (Fahrenheit) weather with the holders for hours at a time before. That didn't cause a problem. I still wonder, though.

I left the other three holders out of the fridge.

Kevin Crisp
17-Mar-2022, 06:44
Should be fine, just let the film and holders get up to room temperature before you open the bag.

I've been keeping loaded film holders in bags in a fridge at 36 F for 30+ years (rotating them in and out, of course) with no problems at all.

Certain Exposures
17-Mar-2022, 06:58
Should be fine, just let the film and holders get up to room temperature before you open the bag.

I've been keeping loaded film holders in bags in a fridge at 36 F for 30+ years (rotating them in and out, of course) with no problems at all.

Okay, thanks!

Sal Santamaura
17-Mar-2022, 07:47
Optimally, assuming you have a frost-free refrigerator, you've not placed them in one of the vegetable drawers. Frost-free refrigerators maintain low relative humidity (RH) in the refrigerator compartment, except in those drawers designed to raise RH for vegetables. Kevin's advice to keep the bags closed until they reach room temperature is valuable. One more thing: squeeze as much air as possible out of the bags before zipping them closed. That way, while warmup occurs after removal, there will be the least amount of moisture inside the bags to condense on holders.

BrianShaw
17-Mar-2022, 07:50
All good advice so far. I can vouch that it works. Patience and pre-planning are virtues worth exercising.

Certain Exposures
17-Mar-2022, 17:43
Optimally, assuming you have a frost-free refrigerator, you've not placed them in one of the vegetable drawers. Frost-free refrigerators maintain low relative humidity (RH) in the refrigerator compartment, except in those drawers designed to raise RH for vegetables. Kevin's advice to keep the bags closed until they reach room temperature is valuable. One more thing: squeeze as much air as possible out of the bags before zipping them closed. That way, while warmup occurs after removal, there will be the least amount of moisture inside the bags to condense on holders.

Thanks! I haven't put them in the vegetable drawers, fortunately.