PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Hawk-Eye Aerial Lens Help

KingTigerII
6-Mar-2022, 12:29
Hey everyone, I have an oddball lens that I've come into possession of and I'm in need of any info I can get.

It's an Eastman Kodak Hawk-Eye Aerial f.4.5 - 254mm Lens, Serial Number 0276
I have found no images of this exact lens online and no information on this lens except for the following:
- It's a 10 inch lens, possibly from an A-1 or B-1 Aerial Camera

That's it. Anything that someone might have is useful. Currently, the lens is having a lens board made for my Speed Graphic (had a guy I know make the files and it has an extension out of the board to compensate for the bellows draw - I think about 4 inches out if I remember right).

Attached are images of the lens.
Thanks,

Tin Can
6-Mar-2022, 14:34
Welcome to LFPF

Seems you know what to do

I found this interesting supplier today

https://rafcamera.com/

Mark Sampson
6-Mar-2022, 14:49
I'll suggest that it's pre-WWII. I worked in (and from) Kodak's Hawk-Eye plant from 1984-2010. All their classic lenses were made there- although the optics dept. moved to newer facilities in the late 1980s.
So I've worked with a number of Kodak lenses and seen quite a few more- but never one marked like that.
By WWII they were using the trade name "Ektar" and "Aero-Ektar".
Also worth noting that the hyphen in "Hawk-Eye" slowly disappeared over time...
Welcome to the forum- and I hope you enjoy your new and rare lens!

KingTigerII
6-Mar-2022, 15:09
Welcome to LFPF

Seems you know what to do

I found this interesting supplier today

https://rafcamera.com/

Thanks, long time lurker, first time poster :-)
I've noticed RAFCamera before for their lens boards, but with this one I wanted to reduce the bellows draw, so I had a custom one made locally to me - which also has a built-in focusing helicoid for macro work. We'll see how much that bites me in the rear!

I'll suggest that it's pre-WWII. I worked in (and from) Kodak's Hawk-Eye plant from 1984-2010. All their classic lenses were made there- although the optics dept. moved to newer facilities in the late 1980s.
So I've worked with a number of Kodak lenses and seen quite a few more- but never one marked like that.
By WWII they were using the trade name "Ektar" and "Aero-Ektar".
Also worth noting that the hyphen in "Hawk-Eye" slowly disappeared over time...
Welcome to the forum- and I hope you enjoy your new and rare lens!

That's what my research had come across. The A-1/B-1 cameras are WWI design. I noticed that about the Hawk-Eye designation! Funny how they just dropped it right off. Thanks for the info Mark, always love hearing from Kodak insiders!