PDA

View Full Version : Airport metal detectors and film...

gfen
15-Mar-2006, 13:19
So, I recently went on a trip to Costa Rica, and on the way back decided to get crafty.

Rather than trust my benevolent TSA friends, I decided I'd try to sneak some film past 'em. I'm a big guy, and a 25 sheet box of 4x5 conviently drops right into a pocket on my jeans.

In Costa Rica, I walk through the detector and lit it up. Back through again, and the guy gets out his wand, asks me about any metal on me, and when I pointed to my belt and shoes, jsut waved me through. I'm alright with that. ;)

In the States (Atlanta, to be specific), I tried to do the same thing. Now, I walk up, throw my wallet and keys into dish and step through. It lights up, the guy makes me drop my belt and shoes, and through again. It goes off again, and he asks if I have anything else...

So, I went for honesty, "WEll, actually, sir, I do have this box of film."

I took it out, and he said that would do it, I asked if it was possible that the metal detector could pick up about 16 sheets of 4x5, and of course the TSA employee beamed and said nuttin could get past them.

I held out my left hand with film box through the detector, and it chirped. I was defeated.

It was only afterwards, when I got home that I thought further about this.. and realized this is the first trip I've taken since I got married, and on my left hand is the only piece of jewelery I ever wear: A stainless steel wedding band.

So, was it the ring that lit up the detector, or was it actually the film? Am I the only one who's committed to smuggling film through the TSA lines in my pocket?

gfen, who lost a quality Zippo to the benevolent and caring TSA employees in Philly.

GPS
15-Mar-2006, 13:56
Did you show him your golden teeth?

Deniz
15-Mar-2006, 14:26
When i travelled to Turkey in the summer of 2005, i had a box of 100 sheets Arista Edu 200.
It stuck out a little cause it was summer, it tipped the metal detected off.. i guess thats alot of silver.
During the trip the camera bag went through at least 15 xrays with the film both exposed and unexposed. (Seattle to New york to istanbul and back)

There was no fogging of the negatives. exposed ones developed and printed beautifully, and the unexposed exposed and printed beautifully...

Brian Vuillemenot
15-Mar-2006, 15:57
Are you sure it wasn't the steel plate in your head? :)

Terence Spross
15-Mar-2006, 17:17
I don't know about Arista but some boxes I have use a thin aluminum foil molded into the black plastic bag that holds the film.

QT Luong
15-Mar-2006, 17:58
I don't think it was your film. In the pre 911 days, I used to sneak routinely more than 100 sheets of 5x7 film (my record was more than 200 with a rig worthy of a drug dealer :-)) past security, and it never set up the metal detector. Is your film wrapped in a foil pouch inside the box ?

mark blackman
16-Mar-2006, 02:54
It is not the film. I have never set off the alarm when carrying film, including polaroid and quick-loads through the detector.

gfen
16-Mar-2006, 06:55
I didn't think it was the film, after all silver is non-ferrous...it wasn't til afterwards that I thought the steel ring might've done it.

As for the pouch, well.. there's another fine idea and one I never thought of. I tend to not see the pouches 'til I'm throwing them out, didn't occur to me til you suggested it.

This all stems from some guys sneaking their roll film through security in their pockets. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one willing to try a whole box 'o sheet film.

tim atherton
16-Mar-2006, 08:43
was it the tin-foil hat...? ;-)

gfen
18-Mar-2006, 06:40
"was it the tin-foil hat...? ;-)"

No, they make me take that off and hand inspect it to make sure I can't origami it into a deadly ninja throwing star and hold the plane hostage.

Them TSA'rs, always thinkin'...

Doremus Scudder
1-Nov-2016, 03:33
No need to smuggle film through the metal detector. The friendly TSA personnel always hand-inspect my film boxes. Even open boxes marked "Exposed, undeveloped film. Open only in total darkness" just get a swab test.

And, like Deniz above, I have had film (TXP and TMY) scanned multiple times while traveling in Europe with no ill effects.

Best,

Doremus

BrianShaw
1-Nov-2016, 06:29
No need to smuggle film through the metal detector. The friendly TSA personnel always hand-inspect my film boxes. Even open boxes marked "Exposed, undeveloped film. Open only in total darkness" just get a swab test.

And, like Deniz above, I have had film (TXP and TMY) scanned multiple times while traveling in Europe with no ill effects.

Best,

Doremus

A lot has changed with TSA in the past decade, but your advise is sound... if only the early posters were still around to read it. :o

Leigh
1-Nov-2016, 12:18
if only the early posters were still around to read it. :o
They're still around... just unable to access the 'net.

That will change upon their release, in another ten years or so.

- Leigh