PDA

View Full Version : Experiences/opinions sought re: ordering odd-size sheet film

Michael R
24-Feb-2022, 15:39
So, I need some Ilford FP4 sheets in one of those sizes smaller than 4x5. Questions:

1. Do these fall under that annual “ULF custom” run or is it something semi-regularly made? These sizes are all listed on Ilford’s regular pages for sheet film but I don’t know if they are things that can be ordered at any time or not. One of the Canadian retailers (in Calgary) has these sizes listed but as “special order”, which would probably take forever if ever.

2. I see Fotoimpex (Germany) and Photo Warehouse (Calif.) seem to have what I need in stock. Any experiences/opinions on whether it would be a bad idea to order from either of these places - not because of shipping costs but rather x-ray blasting to smithereens? I’ve occasionally ordered film from B+H in the past and haven’t had problems but no other experience. Oddly none of these small sizes are listed on the B+H website.

Thoughts? Or is it basically try my luck.

BrianShaw
24-Feb-2022, 15:59
I have thoughts more than experience with smaller-than-4x5. If I were desiring some, I'd buy what I see ASAP. It's scarce enough that delays could result in disappointments. No film I've ever bought via mail order (or in shops) has ever been "xray blasted to smithereens". Chances are that you'll be fine... so better than luck in my guestimation. Good luck!

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2022, 16:18
They do fall under the so-called "ULF" run. It's really the "non-standard-sizes" run. The purpose of this special annual period is to accommodate small-quantity orders - if you wanted to do it at any other time you'd likely have to meet a stiff minimum order quantity and you still might have to wait a while.

I'd second what Brian said - if you see what you want in stock, order it now.

FWIW, I've ordered HP5 Plus in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4" and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" sizes through the annual ULF period, but of course I had to wait months for delivery.

Michael R
24-Feb-2022, 16:30
Thanks, Brian and Oren,

I suspected these sizes were part of the annual custom thing. This is a one-off and small order (like 25 sheets should be plenty) requirement for me and wouldn’t be worth waiting months or years for so I think I’ll buy now and hope for the best.

Thanks again.

PS: Thanks Oren for not moving the this thread since technically it could probably be considered non-LF ;)

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2022, 16:44
I changed the thread title and have kept it here as the question and answer would be the same for any of the sizes larger than 4x5 that are not normally stocked.

Michael R
24-Feb-2022, 16:45
Thanks. Makes sense.

Renato Tonelli
24-Feb-2022, 16:46
I have ordered FP4 in 2-1/4x3-1/4 through Freestyle in the past.

Dugan
24-Feb-2022, 17:21
Shanghai also has an "odd-size" film program.

Daniel Unkefer
24-Feb-2022, 18:26
I ordered five different 13x18cm film types from PhotoImpex during November time frame. A good experience which I have done previously. Never had any problems with film ordered through PhotoImpex

nicholai
25-Feb-2022, 15:14
For what it's worth, Fotoimpex is a great and reliable store both in person and online, and while you're shopping there you could even pick up some Color Mission 200