PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my Graflex Crown Graphic's ground glass brighter?

Certain Exposures
21-Feb-2022, 10:15
Have any of you purchased something for this and verified that it makes a noticeable difference? My glass is too dim. I use a F5.6 lens.

Tin Can
21-Feb-2022, 10:23
Wash it inside and out

Maybe regrind by hand, takes no time

I have handmade many GG up to 11X14

I like mine best

Do some research on this forum as it is spelled out many times

Tin Can
21-Feb-2022, 14:14
A 70 year old camera often has a filthy GG, just from dust and pollution

I wash mine in Dawn scrubbing both sides and dry in dish rack

Be gentle IF it has a grid, some grids are pencil

Certain Exposures
21-Feb-2022, 16:18
A 70 year old camera often has a filthy GG, just from dust and pollution

I wash mine in Dawn scrubbing both sides and dry in dish rack

Be gentle IF it has a grid, some grids are pencil

Wash it inside and out

Maybe regrind by hand, takes no time

Thank you! I will try this out. I don't have a grid but I could use one so I might try that too.

Kevin Crisp
21-Feb-2022, 17:59
Are you sure your camera has the proper "ektalite" Fresnel, installed the right way? Many times they are missing. Even so, the gg is a bit on the dark side.

I did have one of my backs converted to a Maxwell screen. It was expensive at the time, and required also sending the back to Maxwell's recommend machinist to make some adjustments to get it to index properly. It was expensive at the time, but a huge improvement.

By the way, Bill Maxwell is winding things down, so if you want one you better act now.

LabRat
21-Feb-2022, 18:01
The later Pacemaker GG's have a plastic fresnel lens between lens/GG, so make sure you carefully note the orientation of grooved side of fresnel and proper stacking order and reinstall exactly, or a focusing error will come to life...

Don't scrub the plastic fresnel with anything rougher than your finger or soft cloth + dishwashing detergent...

If lines wash off, you can make new lines with a sharp pencil and a tri-square...

Good is clean...

Steve K

Tin Can
22-Feb-2022, 06:08
Your next task is making sure the GG distance and your film holders with film agree

These 2 websites are authorities

https://graflex.org/

https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Nieuw%20Graflex/Graflex%20Cameras/Graflex%20Cameras.htm

A depth gauge and very careful usage MAY help, I have a lot of tools

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Electronic-Digital-SnapDepth-Fractions/dp/B0063LMXJ6/ref=sr_1_11?crid=M4QYFH52SSDQ&keywords=depth+quage&qid=1645535100&sprefix=depth+quage%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-11

Drew Bedo
22-Feb-2022, 07:36
Are ther not any 'bright screen" new GG that would just drop in?

I'
d wash it first and see.

Kevin Crisp
22-Feb-2022, 08:22
The unusual lines-facing backward nature of the fresnel is what makes machining necessary when converting to other screens. At least that is my understanding. I don't think shimming cuts it. Why so many used cameras (particular the baby ones) have the fresnel gone I cannot explain. They don't break. Lots of people who stop down probably don't know what they are missing.

Certain Exposures
22-Feb-2022, 08:31
Are you sure your camera has the proper "ektalite" Fresnel, installed the right way? Many times they are missing. Even so, the gg is a bit on the dark side.

I did have one of my backs converted to a Maxwell screen. It was expensive at the time, and required also sending the back to Maxwell's recommend machinist to make some adjustments to get it to index properly. It was expensive at the time, but a huge improvement.

By the way, Bill Maxwell is winding things down, so if you want one you better act now.

I am not sure if it has a fresnel. I'll look into that this weekend. Thank you for the suggestion.

How much did that Maxwell conversion cost you? I don't see myself using this camera forever but if the price is affordable I would consider it. The dim glass makes working quickly in dim light a task.

Dan Fromm
22-Feb-2022, 09:13
The unusual lines-facing backward nature of the fresnel is what makes machining necessary when converting to other screens. At least that is my understanding. I don't think shimming cuts it. Why so many used cameras (particular the baby ones) have the fresnel gone I cannot explain. They don't break. Lots of people who stop down probably don't know what they are missing.

When first offered in, IIRC, 1949 the fresnel was optional. Earlier cameras didn't come with one.

Putting a fresnel in front of the GG has two effects. It shifts the GG backwards and out of register with the film plane. Optically, it shifts the plane of best focus ~ 1/3 of the fresnel's thickness and out of register with the film plane.

Graflex Inc.'s solution? Pacemaker Graphics' GG rests on bosses on the focusing panel. The bosses on focusing panels intended to be used with a Graflex-issued fresnel are lower than the bosses on focusing panels not intended to be used with a fresnel.

Aftermarket fresnels should be mounted behind the GG.

jnantz
22-Feb-2022, 09:16
Thank you! I will try this out. I don't have a grid but I could use one so I might try that too.

if you have a printer or copy shop nearby you can make the grid on acetate or overhead transparency film . you can make the squares any way you want
you can make crop lines for film holders, you can make reminders for compositional rules you like ( or dislike ) too. you don't have to write on your GG
you just trim the plastic and slip it under the clips that hold your glass in place ( so it on the viewing side of glass and
can be removed and replaced with a bunch of different versions ... depending on your mood and needs.

I've got one installed around 30 years ago and it's been working fine. mine's not fancy it's just boring squares IDK around 1/8" apart..

Tin Can
22-Feb-2022, 09:30
One ? we have missed

Are you using the focus 'hood' or a darkcloth

I cannot use a folding hood as it admits too much light

I use a dark cloth always, some use a black Tee shirt

Certain Exposures
23-Feb-2022, 21:49
One ? we have missed

Are you using the focus 'hood' or a darkcloth

I cannot use a folding hood as it admits too much light

I use a dark cloth always, some use a black Tee shirt

I use the hood. I try to avoid using a darkcloth (my jacket) whenever I can because I often work in high-traffic areas. I've had passersby scare me to death when they wait around for me to emerge from the cloth. I've also had vagrants threaten to knife me or harass me (no, they're never a subject of my work), so I try to set up, focus, and break down ASAP and make sure I don't obscure my peripheral vision long. The less of a target I look like and the quicker I can set up and get out, the better.

Certain Exposures
27-Feb-2022, 09:03
Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows the step by step process of removing and reinstalling the ground glass before I play doctor? :D

Certain Exposures
27-Feb-2022, 09:45
Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows the step by step process of removing and reinstalling the ground glass before I play doctor? :D

Well it turns out a video isn't necessary. I just did it! The ground glass is just as dim. :rolleyes: Worth a shot though.

Edit: My Graflex Crown Graphic had a fresnel in front of the ground glass. It turns out someone made marks on the fresnel with sharpie. I might add gridlines to my ground glass another day.

Thanks everyone!

Kevin Crisp
27-Feb-2022, 10:02
If your Fresnel is the original, the smooth side is supposed to go forward toward the camera lens. It helps -- a little, and back in the day lots of view cameras did not have Fresnels. Personally, I find the pop-out shade, though a nifty and durable design and a good ground glass protector, inadequate for serious composition and focusing. And it makes using a loupe problematic.

If you have an accurate bed scale, and/or a working rangefinder, the metal/spring frame on the front standard is the brightest 'viewfinder' you can have. And it frames things accurately and automatically adjusts for different focal lengths, even if the rangefinder does not.

Tin Can
27-Feb-2022, 10:53
Agree, a Sport Finder is best many times

Even Technika used them, some adjustable

If your Fresnel is the original, the smooth side is supposed to go forward toward the camera lens. It helps -- a little, and back in the day lots of view cameras did not have Fresnels. Personally, I find the pop-out shade, though a nifty and durable design and a good ground glass protector, inadequate for serious composition and focusing. And it makes using a loupe problematic.

If you have an accurate bed scale, and/or a working rangefinder, the metal/spring frame on the front standard is the brightest 'viewfinder' you can have. And it frames things accurately and automatically adjusts for different focal lengths, even if the rangefinder does not.

Kevin Crisp
27-Feb-2022, 13:00
I find the little peep optical sight, even with the proper mask, easy to resist. I just take them off.

LabRat
27-Feb-2022, 13:49
I find the little peep optical sight, even with the proper mask, easy to resist. I just take them off.

I ignored them for the longest time, but took a peek during night exposures, and found stuff at the edges of the frame I needed to take a closer look on the (dim) GG, so now a new step when in the dark...

Steve K

Certain Exposures
27-Feb-2022, 19:02

I've either got a third-party fresnel or somebody has some explaining to do! The smooth side was facing me, not the lens, when I opened up the camera. There isn't any sort of indicator on the fresnel that it was built by Graflex...I don't have an accurate bed scale or a working rangefinder :D. Your point still stands though! Thanks

When first offered in, IIRC, 1949 the fresnel was optional. Earlier cameras didn't come with one.

Putting a fresnel in front of the GG has two effects. It shifts the GG backwards and out of register with the film plane. Optically, it shifts the plane of best focus ~ 1/3 of the fresnel's thickness and out of register with the film plane.

Graflex Inc.'s solution? Pacemaker Graphics' GG rests on bosses on the focusing panel. The bosses on focusing panels intended to be used with a Graflex-issued fresnel are lower than the bosses on focusing panels not intended to be used with a fresnel.

Aftermarket fresnels should be mounted behind the GG.

Do you know if Graflex's ground glass for the Crown Graphic is supposed to be an opaque piece of plastic? That's what I've got. The fresnel was mounted in front of the ground glass like you mentioned. I always shoot F16 or F22 so maybe I've been lucky. Maybe I should try swapping places.

The later Pacemaker GG's have a plastic fresnel lens between lens/GG, so make sure you carefully note the orientation of grooved side of fresnel and proper stacking order and reinstall exactly, or a focusing error will come to life...

Don't scrub the plastic fresnel with anything rougher than your finger or soft cloth + dishwashing detergent...

If lines wash off, you can make new lines with a sharp pencil and a tri-square...

Good is clean...

Steve K

The ground glass is the one without any etched lines in it right? Just a smooth and a "gritty" side?

Dan Fromm
27-Feb-2022, 20:13
Do you know if Graflex's ground glass for the Crown Graphic is supposed to be an opaque piece of plastic? That's what I've got.
Absolutely not. The GG is glass, one side, which faces the photographer, is smooth. The other, which faces the lens, is matte, may be gritty. Your camera's GG is not original issue.

The ground glass is the one without any etched lines in it right? Just a smooth and a "gritty" side?

The fresnel will have concentric grooves.