PDA

View Full Version : CLA for Kodak pneumatic lens?

smigol
18-Feb-2022, 10:44
I have my great grandfather's Kodak No 3A folding pocket camera. The body is in great shape, however the 122 film isn't made since 1970. I have decided to mount the lens onto a board to use on a 4x5.
The lens is a treat to use, throws a nice, bright image on the ground glass with a lot of movement options. All the speeds work, albeit a little slow. The aperture is smooth with no detents so it's easy to select the desired stop. No multicoating, so I've taken care to use it with a hood.

While the manual shutter lever works fine, I'd like to be able to fire it with a bulb to eliminate shake. I did get a new bulb from ebay and have tried using mouth air as well as hand pressure. The shutter will make a noise, but won't trigger with air.

What are the options to CLA this type of assembly?

Stephen

BrianShaw
18-Feb-2022, 12:40
I’m not too sure what you mean by “options” but guessing joyous mean who can/will overhaul it or can I do it myself. I’ve never asked a repair shop if they will work on shutters that old. I overhauled a similar Kodak shutter, the one-speed TBI, with air release. The shutter itself was easy. Just a few levers and springs. I avoided using petroleum solvents on the shutter blades because not sure what they are made with. Very light oil and grease where applicable. Seemed to improve things. The air release is basically a tube in a tube. The plunger is sealed on one end and a pin actuated the shutter cock/release lever. It was gummy so cleaned with solvent, polished lightly and reassembled, which improved things. I still just click with my finger because it never improved enough to be reliable. I guess but don’t know for sure that it once was reliable. That can be done without opening the shutter so might be a starting point.