PDA

View Full Version : j h dallmeyer lens

kathi linnman
13-Mar-2006, 10:32
I've come across a J H Dallmeyer lens, No. 110678, in my grandfather's things, and have been looking for information about it(what type of camera? it's for,age etc) or where I can find informtaion about Dallmeyer lenses. Hope someone can help. Thankyou for your time. Kathi Linnman

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
13-Mar-2006, 11:02
More details (model numbers, description, etc) would be helpful. The serial number places its production about 1925

Ernest Purdum
13-Mar-2006, 16:15
John Henry Dallmeyer was born in Germany, but at age 21 emigrated to England and joined the ancient firm of Andrew Ross. In 1860 he started his own lens works. In 1862 he produced his most important innovation the "Rapid Rectilinear lens. On his death in 1883, the firm was taken over by his son Thomas, but his father's name was kept as the company title.

The company was particularly noted for telephoto lenses and large aperture portrait lenses. Many of these are still in existence today. They also, however, made a full range of lenses in competition with other makers. Although some were made for a specific camera, most were sold for use on cameras which permit a choice of lenses. As Mr. Motamedi says, if you are able to provide the other markings on the lens, I am sure that this forum's contributors will be able to provide much more information.

kathi linnman
17-Mar-2006, 16:47
Thankyou for your responses. I have two photos of the lens but don't know how to put them on this forum. If anyone wants to view the photos they can email me : klinnman@gmail.com and I will send them as attatchments. Thankyou again, Kathi

archivue
12-Jun-2006, 00:14
Hi, i've just bought a Dallmeyer lens myself, and i'd like to learn more about it...
Mine is 20 cm long, N°112276, up the apperture scale (9/45) it says "turn for soft focus".
the oders info i can read : "5D" "PATENT" "1866 & 1909" "LONDON"
I believe that it's a portrait lens, but it needs to be repair (the rear element cannot be screw properly!)
Focal lens ? format ? image circle ?...

archivue
12-Jun-2006, 00:21
i found all i need here :
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/dallmeyercat/seriesd.html

Jon Wilson
12-Jun-2006, 21:09
Hi, i've just bought a Dallmeyer lens myself, and i'd like to learn more about it...
Mine is 20 cm long, N°112276, up the apperture scale (9/45) it says "turn for soft focus".
the oders info i can read : "5D" "PATENT" "1866 & 1909" "LONDON"
I believe that it's a portrait lens, but it needs to be repair (the rear element cannot be screw properly!)
Focal lens ? format ? image circle ?...
Dear archivue: I have had the same problem with 2 Dallmeyer Portrait lens I have purchased (5D in an aluminum barrel and a 4D in a brass barrel). I have had to gently tap the rear element rim with a rubber/plastic mallet and applied a kitchen rubber pad to unscrew the rear element so as to effectuate the "soft focus" effect.
Hope this helps. Jon