PDA

View Full Version : MPP MK8 rangefinder problem

Tomi Jaakkola
13-Mar-2006, 06:15
My problem is probably too simple to find answer for by searching the forums (at least I didn't find) . I bought MPP Micro technical mk8 and cannot figure how to adjust the camera for rangefinder to work properly.

How far should the lensboard be pulled that rangefinder and groundglass image are both focussed in same distance? I don't have a manual for the camera but Linhof Technika IV (or III) is very similar and users guide for that camera mentions these infinity stops that tell how far the lensboard should be extented. Should my MPP have these infinity stops too or is there something else I am missing. Lens and the rangefinder cam should be original.

I have "calibrated" the camera by looking when the groundglass image and the rangefinder meet but it's not very practical in some situations.

Dave Glenn
13-Mar-2006, 07:24
Hi Tomi,

Try the MPP User's Club at http://www.mppusers.freeuk.com/

Richard Kelham
13-Mar-2006, 14:56
Assuming the MkVIII is the same as the MkVII that I have, there are three "click" positions – one just inside the body (presumably for 89mm Wray or 90mm Angulon lenses) one about 20mm onto the drop board (for the 135mm Xenar or similar) and another near the end of the drop board for longer lenses. Mine even has a focus scale on the board for use with the 135mm lens.

My camera has had the rangefinder removed, and I use an un-cammed 150mm Sironar, so I cannot be sure but would assume that your lens – if it's a cammed 135mm Xenar – would be at or near infinity when the lens board is pulled out to the second "click" – MPP's equivalent to the Linhof infinity stops. This should be easy enough to check on the ground glass. To be doubly sure focus on something nearer/of known distance and see if the RF and the GG coincide.

These MPPs are nice little cameras, especially the MkVIII with the front tilt, though the front swing arrangement is a bit clunky. As good as a Technika and a third the price!

Tomi Jaakkola
21-Mar-2006, 05:52
Thanks for answers! The center click position was correct for my lens. I didn't notice these clicks becouse the rail in my camera is so ridig that it isn't possible to feel the right spot by moving the lens board, one has to carefully watch when it's somewhere near the click.