PDA

View Full Version : Original Cable Release for Linhof Technika III

DLee
8-Feb-2022, 13:15
I see in the Linhof Technika III guide that the cable release should clip or attach somehow to the front right focusing knob standard.

How was this done? I see two holes on the locking base, was there a set of registration/mounting pins on the handle of the release?

I'm guessing this was a special cable release? I'd love to find one of these cable releases. Did that release have a special name to help me find one?

Thanks,

Dennis

Embdude
11-Feb-2022, 11:36
The 4x5 Technika III made from 1946-1958 went through a bit of an evolution and actually had 3 types of cable release clips. The 1946-1948 had a small bracket just in front of the focus wheel. The 1949-1953 models also had a bracket but this one is about twice as large as the first type it was moved aft of the wheel when the focus lock was changed from a wheel to a lever type. The last type used a plastic tube ring with 2 pins to hold the cable release. Pin holes were located just aft of the focus wheel instead of the bracket. Pin holes were also located just above the handgrip as well. This last type was also found on 6x9 and 5x7 cameras and lasted into the later model Technika's into the 1970's... I will round up some photos and post the different types. Seems likely you are searching for the tube with pins type...

DLee
11-Feb-2022, 12:48
The 4x5 Technika III made from 1946-1958 went through a bit of an evolution and actually had 3 types of cable release clips. The 1946-1948 had a small bracket just in front of the focus wheel. The 1949-1953 models also had a bracket but this one is about twice as large as the first type it was moved aft of the wheel when the focus lock was changed from a wheel to a lever type. The last type used a plastic tube ring with 2 pins to hold the cable release. Pin holes were located just aft of the focus wheel instead of the bracket. Pin holes were also located just above the handgrip as well. This last type was also found on 6x9 and 5x7 cameras and lasted into the later model Technika's into the 1970's... I will round up some photos and post the different types. Seems likely you are searching for the tube with pins type...

Thanks Embdude,

Yes, by your description I'm looking for the tube type. Now, when you say 'Tube' was this something built into the cable release or was it a separate 'Tube' that you would slide the cable release through and the tube would hold it in place?

As an aside, I have the hand grip and the Linhof cable release and after I posted this original question I had the camera outside doing some handheld testing. I was thinking about all the images of the Technika that I've seen with the handgrip and they always had a crazy steep angle to the grip. I never could figure that out. But holding the camera the other day in a vertical position was killing my wrist and I though 'oh wait,' and I rotated the grip to where it was almost vertical and the ease of holding it was suddenly tenfold.

So, don't worry about finding pictures, unless you have one of the tube. I'm probably set with using the handgrip but it would be nice to find that alternative mounting if I know what to look for. This almost seems like a 3D printing possibility as well? Frankly reaching over to the lens and tripping the shutter isn't so much of a hassle either, but I kind of like the alternative support options having the cable release gives.

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

d

Embdude
11-Feb-2022, 13:47
This is the later style tube with pins... Same size as the hole in the linhof anatomical grip. The Linhof cable release is fat at the plunger end to fit snug in this or the grip...

224552 224553 224554224555

Embdude
11-Feb-2022, 13:52
The earlier style was like this to fit in a clip...

DLee
11-Feb-2022, 22:20
This is the later style tube with pins... Same size as the hole in the linhof anatomical grip. The Linhof cable release is fat at the plunger end to fit snug in this or the grip...

224552 224553 224554224555

Thanks Embdude, That's the cable release that I have but I don't have the two pronged holder. Probably because the camera came with the handle grip. Now I know what to look for, but I'm realizing I'll probably never be able to put a strap on the side of the camera body as there are no strap connectors, so I guess it's a bit of a moot point.

Still thanks for the info and great pictures. Very interesting stuff.

Bob Salomon
12-Feb-2022, 06:07
Thanks Embdude, That's the cable release that I have but I don't have the two pronged holder. Probably because the camera came with the handle grip. Now I know what to look for, but I'm realizing I'll probably never be able to put a strap on the side of the camera body as there are no strap connectors, so I guess it's a bit of a moot point.

Still thanks for the info and great pictures. Very interesting stuff.

When you unscrew the 2 screws holding the grip adapter plate on the camera you then have the mounting for the strap. The strap has a metal plate that is screwed onto those 2 screw holes.

DLee
12-Feb-2022, 09:48
When you unscrew the 2 screws holding the grip adapter plate on the camera you then have the mounting for the strap. The strap has a metal plate that is screwed onto those 2 screw holes.

That's great to know, thanks Bob. Now to find the strap assembly! Along with that shutter release tube.

I kind of like the idea of the strap and wrapping my fingers around the front of the camera body. Which do you guys prefer? Seems anything to lighten the load would be nice.

Bob Salomon
12-Feb-2022, 10:30
That's great to know, thanks Bob. Now to find the strap assembly! Along with that shutter release tube.

I kind of like the idea of the strap and wrapping my fingers around the front of the camera body. Which do you guys prefer? Seems anything to lighten the load would be nice.

Any repair station can supply the Master Technika and the mounting plate and screws.

Guadarmar
12-Feb-2022, 10:37
Here is my homemade solution.
A piece of aluminum (2mm), file for 5min (think for the little secure ball),
a piece of suitable silicone tubing and then glue the tubing into a filed notch.
The universal Tech III trigger holder is now ready for work.
I think it is very usable until I find the original.

DLee
12-Feb-2022, 19:50
Here is my homemade solution.
A piece of aluminum (2mm), file for 5min (think for the little secure ball),
a piece of suitable silicone tubing and then glue the tubing into a filed notch.
The universal Tech III trigger holder is now ready for work.
I think it is very usable until I find the original.

Great solution. I would definitely try and steal that idea if I didn't need the two pin setup.

Guadarmar
12-Feb-2022, 23:46
You don't have to steal - it's free.
The only thing you have to do is posting your first Tech III handheld shot!

DLee
14-Feb-2022, 22:15
You don't have to steal - it's free.
The only thing you have to do is posting your first Tech III handheld shot!

Posting the shot Guadarmar won't be a problem, getting one good enough to post... that's another question. I'll do what I can, Cheers! d

Guadarmar
15-Feb-2022, 09:25
Hi DLee
The only bad shot is the shot that's not taken.:rolleyes:

DLee
15-Feb-2022, 18:43
Hi DLee
The only bad shot is the shot that's not taken.:rolleyes:

Hahaha, there's truth in that, although some would argue fallacy as well!:rolleyes: I took two rolls of C-41 in today to see how things look via 6X9... depending on the tests we may see some portraits or bizarre landscapes before too long. Fingers crossed.

d

Guadarmar
15-Feb-2022, 21:01
Here some handheld shots with the setup shown above.
You see two bars where a famous serial woman killer picked up his victims.
The guy is Eddy. He lives in that quater and is very happy with the print
These picts are shot beside the famous Hamburg Reeperbahn in St. Pauli.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]224711

[ATTACH=CONFIG]224712

DLee
16-Feb-2022, 17:33
Guadarmar those are great. Love the print quality of the guy in the bus stop or whatever that space is.

Are you scanning or making wet prints? I'll probably scan if I get to that point of actually shooting 45, and when I say scan I mean copying with my digital camera. I don't have any space for a darkroom right now but with any luck I may be able to make contact prints at some point. That's really my ultimate goal. Immaculate contacts.

Always wanted a 5X7 for that... but until I produce something with what I have that's not gonna happen, lol. Unless of course a Technika 57 falls into my hands.:o

Great shots, thanks for sharing, nice to know it's actually a real thing. I did test a Crown Graphic years ago for somebody I was working with. I shot Ektachrome out on the street in NY's Lower East side where I was living. Did a bunch of portraits and taped them all together in a 3X3 block of 9 with black paper tape. Looked like a quilt. Kinda cool if I do say so myself.

So you're focusing with the rangefinder I presume?