PDA

View Full Version : Matt black paint

Ron Marshall
11-Mar-2006, 16:04
Some aluminum on the inside of my camera's rear standard is showing where the paint is worn.

I will touch-up with matt black metal paint.

Should I use a specific type or will any generic paint be fine?

Alec Jones
11-Mar-2006, 17:56
Micro-Tools has some black paint sticks, in both glossy & matte, that should do this job for you.

Hans Berkhout
11-Mar-2006, 17:57
I've used "Engine Black", (hobby)railroad shops will carry this. Perfect.

Ralph Barker
11-Mar-2006, 19:05
Most of the brush-on flat black paint I've used tends to dry fairly glossy. Thus, if you use brush-on, rather than spray, I'd suggest using a stippling type of stroke with just the end of the bristles and the brush on the dry side.

Ron Marshall
11-Mar-2006, 19:11
Thank-you to all for the quick responses.

John Kasaian
13-Mar-2006, 09:39
FWIW I use black "blackboard" paint for the innards of pinhole cameras. It sprays on forming a pretty thick coat so I don't know if it would be useful in your application but it might be worth considering.

svlindbe
17-May-2008, 07:36
I have found that some heat resistant spray paint dries to a very matte, dark gray tone.

Svein

Dave Parker
17-May-2008, 08:12
I have used the testor flat black model spray paint, but was happier with the flat black you get at the fireplace shop, extremely tough and very flat, works great, it is sold for touching up stove pipes and such on wood stoves.

Dave

Glenn Thoreson
17-May-2008, 11:22
Krylon Rust Tough - Ultra Flat, Flat, Semi Flat. One will match, probably. Semi Flat is a close match to many of the paints used on the exterior of cameras. Especially Speed Graphics.

GPS
17-May-2008, 11:52
If it is possible on that specific part you could glue there a small piece of black flocked paper.

Eric Woodbury
17-May-2008, 12:29
A few years back, I did some testing. I sprayed aluminum with about 6 different flat black paints that I found in the stores in my area. Some were name brands and some were house brands. Krylon's UFB (Ultra Flat Black) was the blackest as measured by my light meter, normal to the surface, in diffuse light. The range was almost 2 stops from best to worst.

Flocked paper is very good too, as it has the deep texture to trap light. It is the black of choice for astronomers and their telescopes.

Pete Watkins
17-May-2008, 13:33
OMG John Kasiaian, you can't call bla**boards bla**boards in the UK (note how careful I've been), 'cos the Politically Correct Police will get you. Please use the term "chalkboard" to save offending the ethnic minorities who are making a takeover bid for the country. We nearly lost Manchester in the week but they got so ratted they lost the plot and the country was saved.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Petewit
19-May-2008, 13:05
Blackboard paint brushed on is perfect for the job.
Pete.

gevalia
19-May-2008, 15:40
Harley-Davidson sells a great black wrinkle and matte.