PDA

View Full Version : Can you fix a Jobo expert 3005

paul stimac
11-Mar-2006, 14:06
I have a jobo expert 3005 with a bad cylinder. It leaks. I can't actually see the leak when I look down the tube so I'm guessing that it's in the seam. Is there a way to repair it? If I can't - would it be ok just to block that cylinder?
Any response appreciated,

Paul Ewins
11-Mar-2006, 19:15
Without knowing what sort of glue/solvent was used to make them it is hard to know what to use to repair it. If it was a solvent like Methyl Methacrylate (Methyl Ethyl Ketone?) then you could brush some on the seam and where it is cracked it would wick its way in. I would suggest you first try it on something cheaper than an expert drum, maybe an old print drum, just in case it melts it completely.

Blocking the cylinder should be OK, although unless you do it completely you will end up with water trapped behind the plug. Again, test it first so that you can remove it if you later find a way of fixing the leak.

With one cylinder blocked off the water should still circulate normally around all of the cylinders and the chemical circulation should be OK too so long as your plug doesn't protrude out of the cylinder.

Michael Kadillak
11-Mar-2006, 19:42
How about a simple call to JOBO customer service? After all, it is their product and they know it better than anyone else. Who know's, if there is no external damage attributed to the leaking cylinder they may even make it right for you.

Blocking the cylinder as a possible solution is a joke and highly problematic because it will very likely create a flow interruption within the drum and potentially change the results that you would realize continuing to use it in that condition.

Make it easy on yourself. Have JOBO fix or replace the drum.

Cheers!

Andre Noble
11-Mar-2006, 22:21
PS: There is a great way to take lid off without that foot pump. Perhaps the foot pump is how your cylinder got cracked in first place? These drums are precision, delicately made things its seems to me.

paul stimac
11-Mar-2006, 22:45
Andre'... what's the way? I don't use a pump.

JimL
12-Mar-2006, 03:06
Methylene chloride works as a solvent on these drums. It's available at hobby stores. Be careful not to apply it too liberally, as the chambers of the Expert drums are quite thin... you might want to try using another piece of plastic as a "patch" instead of trying to seal the crack directly. I have an old 3004 that cracked along the seam at the bottom of one of the chambers. The best way to diagnose the leak is to pry off the bottom cover and fill the chambers with water. Tilt or hold the drum up and observe the underside to see where the water is coming out.

Jim

Stan. Laurenson-Batten
12-Mar-2006, 14:52
Hello Paul.

I have used epoxy resin with hardener to very good effect on a jobo drum. I have had no problems since, that was two years ago.

Andre Noble
12-Mar-2006, 23:06
Use a sharp ledge with downward movement of the protruding lip of the drum lid on it. Be sure to place a wash cloth or similar draped over the sharp ledge to avoid cracking lid (I use the sharp-ledged aluminum top of a shower door frame with wash cloth draped over it) I "tap off" the lid by sharply thrusting the whole drum held in two hands smartly downward so that the narrow lid lip strikes the cloth-covered ledge. One smart thrust down, rotate drum, and repeat at 90 degree turns of the drum. Takes two complete turns or less.

It sounds primitive, but it's really finesse, and quick. Works even when lid is "glued" on drum.

Those jobo drums are to damn expensive to use all that pressure with pump (which I do have).

Jim Galli
13-Mar-2006, 07:55
I dropped my 3010 drum once and broke a chunk out near the top. I repaired with thick epoxy cement and it has continued serving uninterupted for another 1 1/2 years now. You will likely have to "remove" the bottom piece so you can shine a lamp in that cyl to see where the crack is.

paul stimac
14-Mar-2006, 18:55
Jim,
How do you remove the bottom piece - mine's welded at both the middle seam and at the bottom plate?