PDA

View Full Version : Epson V850 scanner issues - survey from manufacturer

Alan Klein
1-Feb-2022, 18:31
Epson invited me to complete a survey on my V850 which I've had for about two years. I thought I'd get some points, pluses and minuses, from you so I can include them in my report. Thanks. Alan (Please. Only if you have a V850).

bmikiten
1-Feb-2022, 18:50
I love mine but would really like to have some sort of focus calibration that works in realtime. Seal the edges so that we can always fluid mount without worrying about tape other "fixes".

Alan Klein
1-Feb-2022, 19:04
If you're using Epsonscan, throw in issues with the software too.

Kiwi7475
1-Feb-2022, 21:49
I love mine but would really like to have some sort of focus calibration that works in realtime. Seal the edges so that we can always fluid mount without worrying about tape other "fixes".

+1. Like the 10000xl, 11000xl, 12000xl. They already owned that technology for a decade at least, not sure why they omitted it in the 850.

I don’t really have other complaints or points to bring up.

I like the Epsoscan software and it’s simplicity. Gets the job done without getting on the way. Don’t change it!

I’m intrigued about what they may bring in a new model. They really haven’t made any major advances across the board in 10 years, other than moving to LED…

Alan Klein
2-Feb-2022, 08:26
These are the general comments I made when I answered the survey. Of course, there were general questions about use, etc as well. (Note that I had been using a V600 previously).

120 film holder for the V850 only holds two 6x7s. The V600 held three. So I have to cut all old 120 film to use on V850. Plus all new film can only hold two 6x7 images. That means all 120 film has to be cut into 1's and 2's shots which the holder doesn't hold as well. Also, plastic sheets for storage need film to be cut in threes. What were you thinking?
Holders squish film. Difficult to work with.
Some film has to be cut on top and bottom to fit holders
The primary lens should be used for 8x10 film as well as the smaller film sizes.
Glass on the holder flattens film. But the extra surfaces add more dust. Can better dust rejecting glass and holder be furnished?
Can you make the platen glass waterproof to prevent liquid from getting into the machine when wet scanning?
Can you furnish some sort of focus that works in real-time?
When using Epsonscan and you block holes for determining type of holder, software should display a notice of the problem. Many people make this mistake and don't realize they blocked the holes.
Why does Epsonscan software clip the histogram at both ends when in Auto-correction mode?

Sirius Glass
2-Feb-2022, 16:36
I filled it out. I found that it was obnoxiously slanted toward the heavy business users.

Alan Klein
2-Feb-2022, 17:16
I filled it out. I found that it was obnoxiously slanted toward the heavy business users.

I didn't find it slanted either way. They asked questions whether you used it for business or pleasure, as an amateur or a pro. How is that slanted? By the way, what issues did you list with them?

bmikiten
2-Feb-2022, 21:11
I did as well but thought that it was an attempt to gauge the market for document versus film scanning. You an tell how it is written that they branch off to specific questions (resolution, film size, etc) if you mainly use it for film. I noted concerns about variable focusing, film size, holder issues (squashing film), etc.

Brian