PDA

View Full Version : Fujichrome Velvia 50 ISO

Deke
21-Jan-2022, 14:35
Hi everyone,

So where can anyone send Fujichrome Velvia to be developed?
I know it has been banned from sale in the USA, has it also been banned from being developed?
I have some expired, frozen sheets that I would like to expose and get developed.
Thanks in advance.

Derek

abruzzi
21-Jan-2022, 14:41
only 100 has the banned substance. 50 is just hard to get, so you should be able to send it anywhere that developes E-6.

Drew Wiley
21-Jan-2022, 17:34
This needs to be linked to previous threads with the identical question.

Deke
22-Jan-2022, 05:48
Thanks abruzzi.

Deke
22-Jan-2022, 05:51
Hi Drew, I'm not sure how you do that?
I did do a search and found lots of information though.
Thank you.

Racer X 69
14-Feb-2022, 10:42
The Darkroom in San Clemente, California shows that they process E-6 large format film.

Drew Wiley
14-Feb-2022, 11:25
The Darkroom in San Clemente does both E6 and C41 up to 8x10. They have a convenient mailer system. Oscars in SF does E6 up to 8X10, but C41 only up to 4X5. In Oakland there's also a service that does both processes up to 8X10 called Underdog lab which will accept either mail-in or walk-in orders. So at least three options in California, perhaps more.

Kiwi7475
14-Feb-2022, 12:59
The Darkroom in San Clemente does both E6 and C41 up to 8x10. They have a convenient mailer system. Oscars in SF does E6 up to 8X10, but C41 only up to 4X5. In Oakland there's also a service that does both processes up to 8X10 called Underdog lab which will accept either mail-in or walk-in orders. So at least three options in California, perhaps more.

NCPS in Carlsbad (https://northcoastphoto.com) is my trusty place to develop E6. You can also mail in, or in person. E6/C41 and B&W up to 8x10. They have a Hostert Dip & Dunk and use Fuji chemistry for color pos/neg.

So now at least 4 in California!

Alan Klein
14-Feb-2022, 13:02
NCPS in Carlsbad (https://northcoastphoto.com) is my trusty place to develop E6. You can also mail in, or in person. E6/C41 and B&W up to 8x10. They have a Hostert Dip & Dunk and use Fuji chemistry for color pos/neg.

So now at least 4 in California!

I've been sending my 4x5 and 120 Velvia 50 and other chrome to NCPS. You can still buy Velvvia 50 in 4x5 but directly from Japan.

Deke
14-Feb-2022, 17:28
Thanks to everyone (Racer X 69, Drew Wiley, Kiwi7475, and Alan Klein) for providing this information, it is very much appreciated.

Derek

abruzzi
14-Feb-2022, 18:51
Curious for people mailing in, do you pull all the sheets, stick them in a light proof bag, then mail them that way? I’ve read about people bringing their film holders with exposed film into local places where they would be unloaded and developed and returned with the unloaded film holders, but that doesn’t seem practical with mail order.

Kiwi7475
14-Feb-2022, 19:00
Curious for people mailing in, do you pull all the sheets, stick them in a light proof bag, then mail them that way? I’ve read about people bringing their film holders with exposed film into local places where they would be unloaded and developed and returned with the unloaded film holders, but that doesn’t seem practical with mail order.

I send them in a film box (so a triple box), taped with painters tape (so that it’s easy to remove without damaging the box). They send you the box back (confirm with them).
Do not mix different film types (c41/e6 or b&w) — use different boxes for each type, and use a post-it to label what and how many.
I’ve successfully mailed like this many times in all sizes.

I think mailing film holders gets unwieldy quickly…. Not very practical and expensive…

Drew Wiley
14-Feb-2022, 19:04
Just use your clamshell light-tight 3-part film boxes, plus some kind of shipping mailer, of course. I use pre-paid USPS shipping boxes for 8x10 film to SoCalif because their own prepaid pouches are suitable for only up to 4x5 film. But I can get anything up to 4x5 done just a few minutes away. And now, for 8x10, it would be about another 15min drive, but through a convoluted industrial neighborhood down by the Port (I got lost last time) - just a few more miles; but the traffic consequences can tie up quite a bit of extra headache time. But I'm not shooting 8x10 color at the moment anyway. SF residents can drop off their film at Glass Key Photo.

Mail-in processing services all have their own official forms, and it's important to download those, fill in the relevant information, and include them with your order.

Alan Klein
15-Feb-2022, 05:48
I use the three-part original boxes as well. I keep each film processing type (E-6, C41) in separate boxes and mark clearly on each box what's in it since I may have shot color and BW. I don't re-use the plastic film holder seals that the original film came in. I just use the three-part boxes. I tape the boxes close with masking tape and send in a bubble wrap type mailer. I ask the developer to return the boxes with the film inside of course in plastic sleeves.

I thought of sending in the holders to eliminate the process of having to take the exposed film out of the holders at home. But I need the holders to shoot more pictures and would have had to wait to get them back from the developer. So I decided against trying it. Plus, shipping would cost more.

Drew Wiley
15-Feb-2022, 12:09
I pamper my holders. Want them to last, don't want them accidentally contaminated by anything lab-wise. I'd never send them to anyone.

Bernice Loui
15-Feb-2022, 12:44
There was a time when sheet film holders were plentiful, low cost and considered disposable. Since that era, GOOD condition film holders are now a premium due to lack of vast production and more folks interested in this sheet film stuff. Film holders here are "babied" and well cared for as they MUST last for as long as possible.

One of the Sinar perks is the ground glass frame lifters. On the 5x7 Norma and later Sinar has a GG frame lifter that effectively suspends the entire GG frame away from the film holder seating area allowing near zero rub on the film holder during the in-out cycle. This Sinar feature has GREATLY reduced film holder wear over the decades and has greatly reduced film holder wear/abuse. The common practice of sliding the film holder in-out will take it's toll on the film holder over cycles.

Bernice

I pamper my holders. Want them to last, don't want them accidentally contaminated by anything lab-wise. I'd never send them to anyone.

Drew Wiley
15-Feb-2022, 13:09
Ahhh ....the good ole days of fixer residue on doorknobs and fingerprints on negatives! That was the golden age if someone wanted a steady career and didn't mind going insane as a print retoucher.