PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C-1 Question

Chris S
9-Mar-2006, 20:31
I have a question for Calumet C-1 8x10 owners or ex-owners.How easy would it be to dissasemble one of these cameras to sand and re-paint the painted metal parts, standards, back, etc.Also are the big knobs on these aluminum?Thanks.................Chris

David Van Gosen
9-Mar-2006, 22:27
Looks like everything would come apart with simple hand tools. Not sure about the bellows, though.

And yes, the large knobs are probably aluminum.

Why are you planning to do this? A nice one is only $300 or $400. Maybe you'd want to sell yours, and get a nicer one? It looks like a lot of work to sand and paint one of these.

Chris S
10-Mar-2006, 09:24
"Why are you planning to do this? A nice one is only $300 or $400. Maybe you'd want to sell yours, and "get a nicer one? It looks like a lot of work to sand and paint one of these.

Well I'm not planning on it at the momement.I have had my eye on getting an 8x10 for a while now and every now and then I see a C-1 pop up on ebay, though so far none that I would say are in nice cosmetic condition.If one doesn't pop up soon I figured if there were no snafus getting the castings apart, it would be actually very easy to beadblast the castings and spray a couple coats to match with an airless.Its only alot of work if its 'alot of work' to dissasemble one of these which at least from photos, which is all I have to go on, doesn't appear to be.Thanks!

Chris

Aaron van de Sande
10-Mar-2006, 10:30
grandpa used to tell me "you can't polish a turd"

David Karp
10-Mar-2006, 11:36
Karsh used his "turd" to make some nice photos!

Scott Davis
10-Mar-2006, 12:00
Word of caution - if you do go this route, be careful that the one you get isn't the magnesium model if you're going to beadblast it. You don't need to create a literally explosive situation with fine magnesium dust flying around. Also, you may want to preserve the original paint color, as this does make a difference in value. The green ones are more sought after (slightly) because some of them are the magnesium ones, meaning they're about four pounds lighter. All the black ones are aluminum, and as such, they command a lower price due to the weight surplus. If you're looking for one, I might be persuaded to part with mine, as I'd like to get a lighter-weight more field-portable camera. PM me for details.

Eirik Berger
10-Mar-2006, 12:55
The knobs are aluminum, and if one of you guys have one laying around I am short of one. Earlier this month I was about to loosen the front standard to apply som tilt - and the knob had unscrewed itself so it dropped down and fell in some cracks in the rocks I was standing on. It is impossible to reach it...

The C-1 is a great camera, I got mine for 200$ on ebay and it has been worth every cent. It is simply a great way into the 8x10-club. It is a heavy camera and often called "Black beast" or "Green monster" if you have one of the green ones.

The drawbacks with the camera is using it with short lenses. The shortest focal length I have used is 180mm and that is very difficult, any shorter is not possible in a reasonable way. The other drawback with short lenses is that you can only focus with the rear standard and the "rail" (what is the word?) will get in your way as you want to try to focus on the ground glass.

But with my Nikkor W 360mm the camera is a magnificent tool and has made me able to make really great images.