PDA

View Full Version : question regarding wide angle bellows

Raymond Bleesz
7-Apr-1998, 11:07
on a 6x9 front , 4x5 back arca swiss camera, i am using a wide angle bellows for my "universal" bellows with lenses ranging from 65 to 210. when utilizing the 2 10 for one to one magnification (table top for example and which i do not common ly do), i should use a "standard" bellows which i do not have. my question is: with the wide angle bellows and with the 210 lens doing landscapes/scenics, ca n i "make do" with this bellow or should i go to the expense of adding a "stan dard" bellow to accomplish this specific task considering the specific format?

your answers and explaination would be appreciated.

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
7-Apr-1998, 14:32
If all your work is "grand vistas", its at optical infinity, so you need to be a ble to extend your bellows to the focal length of the lens (210mm) to achieve fo cus. However, you probably want a couple of inches leeway to allow for camera m ovements. If your wide angle bellows can extend to 10" or a little more, you ca n probably handle this type of work; if not, you may have some difficulties.

If your work is not limited to distant scenics--for example, if, like me, you sh oot the type of things that Eliot Porter used to call "intimate landscapes"--you probably want a bellows that can handle greater extension.

Since you've already got the wide angle bellows, why not stick with it a while a nd see if it handles what you need. You'll know soon enough if its limiting you r work.