PDA

View Full Version : What shutter for 19 inch artar?

mark mccarty
8-Mar-2006, 09:20
Our archive says my 19 inch artar can be front mounted in Ilex #5 shutters. Does anyone
know what other #5 shutters (like Alphax) will work?

Michael Kadillak
8-Mar-2006, 10:12
I would give Adam at SK Grimes a call to get the possible options that would work.

I surmise that you may have a surplus #5 shutter that you are looking for a way to use it.

Before I would spend the money for mounting such a beast on the front of a relatively small lens (I have a 42" and a 35" Red Dot Artar to compare and contrast with) I would seriously consider 1) trading in the big shutter and putting the lens in a Copal #3 or 2) go with a front mounted Packard Shutter.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers!

Steve Hamley
8-Mar-2006, 10:30
A Compound #5 would work as it is bigger than an Ilex #5. A Wollensak #5 (Alphax, Betax) would probably work as 19" Artars usually came in Ilex #4 shutters. The bigger shutter might help prevent vignetting when front mounting.

But Michael's point is well made. If it were me, I'd go with his advice.

Steve

Michael Jones
8-Mar-2006, 10:45
I had mine mounted in a Copal #3. They came in Acme #4's as I recall. Beyond that, Michael is right, a Parkard is a better (simpler) choice rather than a front mount #5. Good luck.

Dan Fromm
8-Mar-2006, 11:19
This discussion has made me aware that I'm seriously confused about what "front mounting" means.

I use the term to mean "lens screws into adapter screws into shutter." Some in this discussion used it to mean "shutter in front of lens" and then have confused me more by referring to Packard shutters, which I've always understood went behind the lens.

Is there a standard definition? Is there a convention? And where do Packards go? In front of the lens or behind it?

Pete Watkins
8-Mar-2006, 11:44
Dan, I'm in the process of front mounting a 5" Packard on the front of my 16" Woolensak Vitax.
The archives on this site make it clear that a Packard can be front or rear mounted. Think about it, what difference would it make?
Pete.

Ernest Purdum
8-Mar-2006, 12:49
Wollensak #5 shutters are slightly smaller than #5 Ilexes. The Wollensak irises are 58mm, while the Ilexes open to 63. A #5 Compound has a 64.5mm iris, only a little larger than its American cousins, but the Compounds lens threads are substantially larger, 82.8mm as opposed to 75 (most but not all Ilexes) and 73.8 Wollensak.

The above is shown in millimeters for comparison, but the American shutters wre built to inch standards.

Sometimes having the shutter on the front or on the rear can result in the diaphragm being closer to the lens. so less chance of vignetting.

Packards often demand a larger lensboard than your camera has (often something near twice the opening diameter). This is a good enough reason for hanging it out in front even if it is kind of ugly that way. Another (related) reason can be that there is no good way to pass the air hose to the inside of the camera.

mark mccarty
8-Mar-2006, 12:56
Thanks everyone: Like Dan, I meant "front mounted" to mean "screws into shutter."
Now I'm confused; gonna call Grimes.

Leonard Robertson
8-Mar-2006, 14:23
It isn't unknown for a Packard to stick open when firing, if you don't squeeze the bulb fast enough, or your thumb slips off the hole in the bulb. If the Packard is on the front of the lens, you pretty much know for sure if this happens, and can reshoot.

John Kasaian
8-Mar-2006, 22:53
Not all 19" Artars are equal. I have an old brassie APO Artar which is slightly larger in the threaded portion as my brass RD Artar which is quite a bit larger (again in the threaded portion) than an aluminium barreled RD Artar. Might as well muddy up the waters. FWIW, my brass RD lives quite happily in a #4 Acme.

If you're going to front mount your artar, look for a true "Universal" one with no iris. FWIW Wollensak made these types of shutters as well, there is also the Keystone Flash(I think an Ilex) that might also work. One great reason to stick with a #5 for front mounting is that you can swap out a 24" Artar when needed (provided you have an adapter made!)

phil sweeney
9-Mar-2006, 03:20
I have a 30 inch red dot I would like to front-mount a packard. I had concluded I could not rear mount a packard because my lens board is not large enough and the lens is too long. I would like to find out how to front mount a packard shutter?

Leonard Robertson
9-Mar-2006, 07:28
Phil - Here is a great page on Packard shutters

http://www.electricedge.com/greymatter/archives/00006060.htm

About half way down is a link to another page on front mounting. I've done this for a 16 1/2" Artar using 5/8" or 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. I used a circle cutter in a drill press to bore the hole. I originally expected I'd need to line the hole with velvet for "grip" on the lens barrel, but it wasn't necessary. The friction of the plywood is sufficient unless your hole is too large. A pop-rivet makes a nice removable pin for "I" exposures. To locate the hole for this, I cut the head off a small nail and inserted it into the "I" hole in the Packard, with just the point sticking out. The shutter was placed on the plywood and pressed down. The nail point made an impression which indicated where to drill for the pop-rivet.