PDA

View Full Version : Gaoersi 617 camera: any experiences?

David Carson
7-Mar-2006, 09:26
Anyone handled or bought or used this newish 617 camera?

the producer's site (I think) (http://chinaphotography.com/ebay/617.htm)

interesting bellows version (via expired ebay listing) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7577987424&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

photo-i review (http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/cameras/Gaoersi/page%201.htm)

The bellows attachment is pretty interesting, the format switching (6x12, 6x15, 6x17) is less so, at least to me. I thought I heard that Fotoman is playing with the idea of the bellows attachment on their 4x5 Point/Shoot.

Rich Voninski
7-Mar-2006, 09:44
David,

I too am interested in any findings on this camera. Very cool looking camera.

Rich

Paul Droluk
7-Mar-2006, 16:27
David... at Fotoman we ARE currently working on poducing a bellows adapter for ALL of our camera models. The adapter will offer rise/fall/tilt and swing on the front standard. Still in the prototyping stage, delivery is expected around mid-summer.

Pete Caluori
7-Mar-2006, 19:15
Greetings,

I have the Gaoersi 6x24, which is the same as their 6x17 only a bit longer. I have put about 100 -150 rolls of 120 through mine since the beginning of the year and love it. I have hand held it at 1/15 of a second, but usually use it at 1/30 - 1/125 range.

The wonderful thing about this camera is that it can be handheld. I made a "standard tilt" adapter for the lens which increases depth of field considerably.

It's a completely manual camera: you have to remeber to remove the lens cap, and set the focus, which I've forgotten to do a few times. Advancing the film is by viewing the makings on the back of the roll of film through the viewing window on the back of the camera.

It's a really nice camera and for the price worth ervery penny. I got mine from eBay seller THKPhoto, whom I can recommend highly. I'm using an older 150mm lens which wouldn't focus at infinity and the seller sent me an extension ring at no charge and was very helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards, Pete

Richard_Downer
30-Nov-2006, 14:03
I've had the Gaoersi 617 for about 5 months and it is excellent!! It's incredibly basic, the back doesn't hinge but lifts off, and film advance is by turning a wheel(no lever) but if you can live with that and the fact it won't take 220 film, it's a bargain. The build quality is really good and the 90mm viewfinder is pretty accurate. I have no regrets in buying this camera and hope to use it for many years.

Gordon Moat
30-Nov-2006, 16:39
I actually thought the homepage was here (http://www.focus-dayi.com/main.php). They show a 4x5 and 8x10 model there. Judging by the MagnaChrom review, I would expect one of these cameras to have a few rough edges.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Tedward
3-Apr-2007, 22:48
Do any gaoersi 6x17 owners, use a 72mm f5.6XL lens, on their camera....i have been told that you have to use the 75mm lens adapter, for thr 72mm XL lens...but before i decide to obtain a 75mm lens adapter, i was interested in finding out if anyone is already useing this 75mm adapter....and if they are....is focusing on infinity...relatively easy....or have encoutered any other problems....the lens of course i am refering to is the XL Super Angulon.

Rergards Tedward.

Tedward
4-Apr-2007, 01:05
Hello Pete.
Yes. i also like my 6x17 gaoersi panorama. I am now taking five (6x15) full size negatives, they still look a panorama, and my five exposures vertually fill up the whole 120 film.....have you measured your negatives yet (anyone)....You will find that the 6x17 negative setting is in fact (6x16)....and the 6x15 negative setting is in fact (6x14) and the 6x16 negative setting....is just over the 6x12 setting....So i have set my format knob ,,,,to the last number...on 615.....number five.....this will give you a true 6x15 negative......Very interested in your standered tilt adapter....what must i have to do, in order to make one of these tilt adapters....Thank you....regards Tedward

Pete Caluori
2-May-2007, 19:39
Attached is an image of my 6x24 with the "standard front tilt" adapter that I made. It's simply a small piece of PVC pipe cut a angle on chop saw. This was done as a test, with the intention of having a machinis make a more precise part, but it worked so well that I never bothered to take it any further.

Regards, Pete

Pete Caluori
2-May-2007, 19:41
O.K. sorry, I can't type, but you get the drift.

Regards, Pete

lutherasmith
6-May-2007, 15:49
Greetings,

. I'm using an older 150mm lens which wouldn't focus at infinity and the seller sent me an extension ring at no charge and was very helpful.

Regards, Pete

What 150 are you using that covers the 6x24?

Thanks,

Luther

Photomax
6-May-2007, 19:08
There are a lot of informed threads on the Gaoersi 6x17 etc on this English web board:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=32

Max

AVCHD
6-May-2007, 21:16
May I use 220 film in Gaoersi 6x17 or 6x24?

Photomax
7-May-2007, 10:25
No, I don't think so.

AFAIK, the camera needs the paper backing...

Max

Pete Caluori
9-May-2007, 19:54
Hi Luther,

I'm using a older 150 G-Claron which "almost" cover, but not quite fully stopped down. Primarily, I use it with the 6x17 masks installed and in this case it fully covers at f22, with the standard tilt adapter installed I need f32 to cover at 6x17. I have a 150 Computar, which should cover 6x24 (actually it's supposed to cover 8x10 inches) but I haven't had a chance to try it.

WRT using 220 film, this is not possible. There is a sight window on the back of the camera that is used to read the markings on the backing of 120 film, so you know how far to advance the film. 220 film contains no such markings and I'm sure the film would be fogged by light entering through the sight glass. This is a simple, but effective camera.

Regards, Pete

laurentvenet
17-Sep-2007, 15:36
Hello Pete.
Yes. i also like my 6x17 gaoersi panorama. I am now taking five (6x15) full size negatives, they still look a panorama, and my five exposures vertually fill up the whole 120 film.....have you measured your negatives yet (anyone)....You will find that the 6x17 negative setting is in fact (6x16)....and the 6x15 negative setting is in fact (6x14) and the 6x16 negative setting....is just over the 6x12 setting....So i have set my format knob ,,,,to the last number...on 615.....number five.....this will give you a true 6x15 negative......Very interested in your standered tilt adapter....what must i have to do, in order to make one of these tilt adapters....Thank you....regards Tedward

Hi Tedward.

I received my Gaoersi from ebay last week and tried it this week end. I'm not very confident with format changing and counting views on back transparent window.

Sorry to ask, but I did not catch how you obtain 5 full 6x15 shots. When doing as explaine on Gaoersi web site, I can shot 4 6x17 shots (it's in reality 6x16 ) and some big gaps appears on the film between each shots.

I was wondering :

- do you turn knob on 6x17 format ?
- for the first picture, shall I align "1" number on film / paper with 6x17 mark on the back window
- for the second and next pictures, how many pictures should I go further : 3 ,
-"2 3/4" , "2 1/2" ?

Thank you very much,

Laurent

Mick Noordewier
16-Oct-2007, 10:00
I'm interested in the newer GF 617S model, the one with shift and a removable back. The older shift model (without removable back) allowed a change from 6x17 to 6x12 mid-roll. Does anyone know if the GF 617S also allows format change mid-roll? If so, how is this accomplished?

-Mick

cookseytalbott
5-Jun-2008, 13:58
I have the non-shift version of the camera and am using it with a Schneider 90 f8.

I found that it was necessary to use the center graduated ND filter and I got the true blue Schneider rather then the Heilopan. I also use a 86mm Circular Polarizer attached to the center filters outer flange with a WA lens shade on the polarizer.

This is a robust camera that is all metal/all mechanical with good machining. No magic here as this is a box camera with a helicoid focusing lensboard. I have wanted a Technorama for years but there is no way I would pay their terrible price.

I got this direct from Paul at Gaoersi for 960.00+60.00 shipping, exchange rates change so the price may change as well. Took 2 weeks from Hong Kong to California.

Established LF workers will have no problem with the level of procedures that are necessary, focusing, lens cap, film advance etc.

I am about 20 rolls of 160NC film in and am very happy with the results.

I got the hyperfocal focusing numbers from the schneider website and determined that f32 focused on 10 feet gets infinity to 4.5 feet in focus.

The two filters kill the shutter speed a little at 32 so I am interested in trying the 400 film which would get it up to the shutter speed that I normally use. I will have to evaluate if the grain is too destructive.

The image produced with the blinds set to 617 is 6 1/2 inches long x 2 1/8th inches high.

I lug my stuff around a lot and this is as good as it has ever been in terms of weight and toughness. I have done a lot of 4x5 and 6x7cm and this is much lighter then either of those kits.

Soon I will finish and post on my site some of the images I have been making with the camera and a more comprehensive review.
Cheers,

Cooksey
http://www.cookseytalbottgallery.com

SuperK
30-Jul-2008, 07:58
How much time does it takes to replace a lens with adapter in the field? Any expirience?

cookseytalbott
30-Jul-2008, 10:54
I would say all of a minute.

It has 4 knurled screws with retainer rings (so they don't fall out and get lost).

Very easy.

I have been enjoying the camera and even got it up into the mountains on my last trip. I felt the strain of two cameras but it is lighter then any of my other roll film cameras.

Cheers,

Cooksey
www.cookseytalbottgallery.com

suchar
16-Nov-2008, 02:54
Hi,
I have a question. Is it possible to attach a ground glass to Gaoersi 617 when the film is already on? AFAIR, it is impossible to do in Fotoman 617.

Chris

butterflydream
16-Nov-2008, 05:11
Even if you could, how can you focus through the film?

suchar
16-Nov-2008, 06:11
Even if you could, how can you focus through the film?

Of course that's the key point, I don't know why I didn't think about it. Sorry for this stupid question. Anyway, thanks for response.

What about changing the lens mid-roll? As I've just read on Fotoman's site, changing the lens mid-roll in Fotoman 617 equals to losing one frame (there is no way to "cover" the film during this operation). Is it the same in Gaoersi? I hope this question is, hm, better than the previous one...

IanG
16-Nov-2008, 08:23
The lens can be easily changed mid roll with a Gaoersi, just insert the darkslide, you don't lose any film or a frame at all.

Ian

bsimison
16-Nov-2008, 13:23
The lens can be easily changed mid roll with a Gaoersi, just insert the darkslide, you don't lose any film or a frame at all.

Ian

It depends on the specific Gaoersi model. I have the G17S Shift model and there is no dark slide provision for switching lens cones mid-roll. Make sure you know which model you're buying.

cookseytalbott
16-Nov-2008, 14:06
The GF does not have a removable back. The model that allows the back to be removed weighs more so I passed on it. I tend to carry my stuff and weight is an issue.

I have found the finder to be a little less then precise but the lens falloff and general off axis dimness of the f8 lens and center filter/polarizer make ground glass viewing a pain so while I lugged the ground glass and a focusing cloth at first I now just go with the finder.

I added a 55mm polarizer to the finder with some adhesive putty to allow me to preview and then set the polarizer on the taking lens.

Here is a picture of my setup from a spot that is at about 10,500 feet up the side.

http://cookseytalbottgallery.com/photo_blog.php

This shows the polarizers, center filter, lenshood etc. I have a velcro pad on the side that my cable sticks to because it prevents the camera from sitting stably on a surface when it is routed through the handle.